Having building supplies delivered.

Options
Hello.

I am going to redo my dads pent style brick shed roof as its leaking and on inspection the OSB boards are starting to rot at the gutter part and on the inside the roof leaks where the rafter goes from above his door to the other side and that has rooted and now the roof sags.
The brick shed was built 50 odd years ago and was originally one complete shed(with a wall inbetween to seperate) and a new roof was installed in 1996 for both sides as the existing was blown off in a storm so it has lasted a long time.
When that neighbour moved out the new ones built an extension and knocked down their part of the shed and left the middle(party) wall there but unbeknown to my dad the builders just cut the felt/OSB and rafters 6 inches past the wall on the neighbours side and left it exposed and then put up 2 brick piers to close the gap.
The neighbours flat roof extension guttering over the years has failed the the water runs down the wall and onto the piers and then has been getting into/onto the roof and over the years has caused the OSB and rafters to decay.

My dad has told the neighbours this but they have not done anything about the guttering so the roof needs doing.

My reason for the thread is that i will need
8x4 OSB sheets x 3
50mm x 100mm rafters and wallplate at 3mts x 3
19mm x 150mm fascia/capping to go round 4 sides and i will need 3mts x 3
roofing felt and nails plus felt sealant for the felt overlap.

My issue is getting all this gear delivered to my dads house.
I can only be there on a weekend and i/he dont have access to a van large enough to go and pick it all up. I tried Wickes and they want £35 to deliver on a Saturday as the OSB boards are heavy/bulky charge and they will only deliver to the kerbside and his house is about 25 mts from the kerbside so will only put the gear on the drive and as he's 79 i don't want him to lug all that on his own.
I have looked online for the boards and timber but they will have the same idea as Wickes and drop it off kerbside.
Has anybody got any ideas/tips for getting this stuff to my dads house please and he lives near Bedford if thats of any help.

Thank you.

Comments

• davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Boohoo wrote: »
    Hello.

I am going to redo my dads pent style brick shed roof as its leaking and on inspection the OSB boards are starting to rot at the gutter part and on the inside the roof leaks where the rafter goes from above his door to the other side and that has rooted and now the roof sags.
    The brick shed was built 50 odd years ago and was originally one complete shed(with a wall inbetween to seperate) and a new roof was installed in 1996 for both sides as the existing was blown off in a storm so it has lasted a long time.
    When that neighbour moved out the new ones built an extension and knocked down their part of the shed and left the middle(party) wall there but unbeknown to my dad the builders just cut the felt/OSB and rafters 6 inches past the wall on the neighbours side and left it exposed and then put up 2 brick piers to close the gap.
    The neighbours flat roof extension guttering over the years has failed the the water runs down the wall and onto the piers and then has been getting into/onto the roof and over the years has caused the OSB and rafters to decay.

My dad has told the neighbours this but they have not done anything about the guttering so the roof needs doing.

My reason for the thread is that i will need
    8x4 OSB sheets x 3
    50mm x 100mm rafters and wallplate at 3mts x 3
    19mm x 150mm fascia/capping to go round 4 sides and i will need 3mts x 3
    roofing felt and nails plus felt sealant for the felt overlap.

My issue is getting all this gear delivered to my dads house.
    I can only be there on a weekend and i/he dont have access to a van large enough to go and pick it all up. I tried Wickes and they want £35 to deliver on a Saturday as the OSB boards are heavy/bulky charge and they will only deliver to the kerbside and his house is about 25 mts from the kerbside so will only put the gear on the drive and as he's 79 i don't want him to lug all that on his own.
    I have looked online for the boards and timber but they will have the same idea as Wickes and drop it off kerbside.
    Has anybody got any ideas/tips for getting this stuff to my dads house please and he lives near Bedford if thats of any help.

Thank you.

Dont know if any good, but B&Q usually hire vans by the hour.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would have the stuff delivered on Saturday and use a bit of rope (19 foot or 5.8 metres) to carry the OSB sheets as shown in this video: https://youtu.be/QYwCsor8bRQ

£35 is not unreasonable as a delivery charge for a Saturday, as it is for large and heavy items.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Speak to a local independent timber merchant. You will get much better service and prices.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • tonygold
    tonygold Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    I would have the stuff delivered on Saturday and use a bit of rope (19 foot or 5.8 metres) to carry the OSB sheets as shown in this video: https://youtu.be/QYwCsor8bRQ

£35 is not unreasonable as a delivery charge for a Saturday, as it is for large and heavy items.

excellent.
    that rope method is genius!!! :T
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for replying.
    The van hire will cost more than the delivery if i go for 2 hours plus mileage.
    I will have a look at B&Q store tomorrow as i will be going there with the boss and see what prices are for the goods and delivery.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure