PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Noisy Neighbours - DIY

Comments

• scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 May 2018 at 1:49PM
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I don't think many of us would argue that working on a party wall or using power tools after 10pm or before 7am is reasonable behaviour.

What's more questionable, is whether it is advisable to get into confrontation with such an unreasonable neighbour, or pursue them formally via the council EHO, or privately through the courts, when a move is soon on the cards.

In other words, "Them people" could stuff things up, 12 months down the line.

I never advised formally via the council EHO, or privately through the courts,
    My tactic of choose is a little self help with an object lesson. It always works for me on "them people."

Last summer my neighbour had a party. No problem.............however it started at 20.00 and finished at about 7.00 with the music full on. When I came home after a night shift my wife and boy had got very little sleep. "Them people" must have settled to go asleep about 8-9. Or so they thought!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    I never advised formally via the council EHO, or privately through the courts,
    My tactic of choose is a little self help with an object lesson. It always works for me on "them people."

Last summer my neighbour had a party. No problem.............however it started at 20.00 and finished at about 7.00 with the music full on. When I came home after a night shift my wife and boy had got very little sleep. "Them people" must have settled to go asleep about 8-9. Or so they thought!
    If you read my comment more carefully, you'll see I covered all possibilities, including direct action on one's own behalf.

I won't insult your intelligence by quoting the relevant words in red. ;)
  • scd3scd4
    edited 14 May 2018 at 3:50PM
    If you read my comment more carefully, you'll see I covered all possibilities, including direct action on one's own behalf.

I won't insult your intelligence by quoting the relevant words in red. ;)

Well you quoted me and advised what would be counterproductive on action I had not suggested! Maybe that comment could have been read more carefully....

I know what works for me after 51 years.....;-]....."them people" get a dose of their own treatment and come around pretty fast.

Ohh intelligence really is subjective. ;-] Cheers..
  • scd3scd4
    edited 14 May 2018 at 4:11PM
    maisie_cat wrote: »
    Perhaps bear in mind that everybody will have to do some noisy work at some point, and once it's done it's done. We've lived here for 12 years and the 3 neighbours on both sides have had extensions and building/renovation work done in that time. that's 6 lots of noise and banging for up to 6 months (one was a new build) .
    The advantage of using trades is that they go home at 5pm, the disadvantage is that they do not care about the noise.
    I would not go down the formal route, it will ease off once they've done the work, and if you want to sell you may have to discount your property for no reason if the noise has abated.

But the problem is not about if work has to be done but doing it so it does not adversely affect your neighbours quality of life.Who is to say works would not go on for years?

No neighbour is going to make noise and keep me and my family up at midnight when I have to get up at 4.30 am.
  • I am not sure nowadays though that there is any antisocial time per se. People work and sleep all sorts of hours. I had one neighbour who used to do an early morning shift and woke me up every morning at about half 3. What about those poor people who come back from night shift to next door lawn garden being mown?
  • scd3scd4
    edited 14 May 2018 at 5:16PM
    I am not sure nowadays though that there is any antisocial time per se. People work and sleep all sorts of hours. I had one neighbour who used to do an early morning shift and woke me up every morning at about half 3. What about those poor people who come back from night shift to next door lawn garden being mown?

There is..........there is social norms. Children have to get up for school etc. Most people have a routine for nights being time to sleep. I work shifts, weekends, nights, Bank holiday, New Years Eve. I understand people will do stuff in the day time when I am sleeping. Midnight and the early hours are different. People should expect to be able to sleep in on a Sunday morning for example.
  • I get what you are saying but I think it is disappearing. Nightclubs used to close at 2 in my day now they go on til six. My daughter does not go out until 11 sometimes (we cross on the stairs). Shops are open all night, TV all night. Working hours to fit in with childcare, split working patterns in families etc. Fortunately the only noise I hear from next door is piano practice at the moment, but add a dog and a new baby and it is a different story.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    Well you quoted me and advised what would be counterproductive on action I had not suggested! Maybe that comment could have been read more carefully....
    Around 17 comments had been posted before yours , so I tried to take account of posts from several respondents, not just you.

I didn't say that the direct action you advocate would be counterproductive in every case, or even in this one, but there exists a possibility that confrontation and a severe falling-out could disrupt a sale. It depends almost entirely on the personalities of those involved, which neither you nor I know.

Sometimes whole roads 'enjoy' the results of families taking direct action against each other, but I doubt if either of us would like to live in them.
  • scd3scd4
    Around 17 comments had been posted before yours , so I tried to take account of posts from several respondents, not just you.

I didn't say that the direct action you advocate would be counterproductive in every case, or even in this one, but there exists a possibility that confrontation and a severe falling-out could disrupt a sale. It depends almost entirely on the personalities of those involved, which neither you nor I know.

Sometimes whole roads 'enjoy' the results of families taking direct action against each other, but I doubt if either of us would like to live in them.

I don't really need to know the ins and outs of a dogs backside to just give my own advice. At the end of the day it's a forum and I am not advertising as a solicitor. I would always start nicely and polite................but I would turn up the heat up, be that the council or my own special self-help. I see excessive noise as no different to bullying or disrespect.
  • scd3scd4
    edited 15 May 2018 at 4:11PM
    I get what you are saying but I think it is disappearing. Nightclubs used to close at 2 in my day now they go on til six. My daughter does not go out until 11 sometimes (we cross on the stairs). Shops are open all night, TV all night. Working hours to fit in with childcare, split working patterns in families etc. Fortunately the only noise I hear from next door is piano practice at the moment, but add a dog and a new baby and it is a different story.

Well I know what you are trying to say. My daughter also works as a Pediatric Nurse. But I can never see a time when mowing or doing noise car repairs at 6am on a Sunday morning will be acceptable. Or having music in your garden full on from the afternoon to early morning. Or a dog barking all hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure