Stocks and Shares ISA Advice

Options
I’m looking to start investing with a stocks and shares ISA using HL. I’m looking to invest initially around £5K.

Can anyone give some basic advice of the types of funds I should be looking at? Obviously im looking for the best possible return.

Am I better have a range of different funds that span different countries?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Am I better have a range of different funds that span different countries?

Not on just £5000. There are around 10 main sectors. If Japan was say 3% weighting on your model, then on £5 that equates to £150. Not worth the effort.

Stick to multi-asset funds for now. Realise that you neither have the knowledge or understanding to build a bespoke portfolio as well as your investment amount being too small to make it worthwhile.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Bravepants
    Bravepants Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It very much depends on your age and your intended use for the money. A 20 year old starting out and saving for 40+ years, would have different requirements than say someone in their late 40s looking to retire at 55 for example.
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • neildt
    neildt Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Am mid 30s. Currently the £5k I have is in a cash ISA and is returning hardly nothing.

I was looking to just invest in managed trackers.

What sort of returns can I expect.?
  • neildt
    Options
    Also when looking to invest what are the top features I should be looking for?
  • dunstonh
    Options
    I was looking to just invest in managed trackers.

That is a contradiction. You invest in managed or trackers. Although an experienced unbiased investor may well use managed AND trackers in a wider portfolio
    What sort of returns can I expect.?

What asset classes? You can get trackers in fixed interest securities, property and equities. Returns will be very different. Also timescale would come into play.

Also, if you are intent on building a bespoke portfolio of fund on £5k then what model are you going to follow? How often are you going to rebalance and review it? What level of due diligence and research criteria are you going to use?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • neildt
    Options
    To be honest I!!!8217;m very new to stocks and shares investments as you can probably tell.

At this stage I!!!8217;m wanting to move my £5K cash ISA to a stocks and shares ISA.

Can you give me some examples of multi asset funds.
  • sjp999
    sjp999 Posts: 146 Forumite
    edited 13 May 2018 at 5:13PM
    Options
    Copied from elsewhere, thanks to George for the typing...

- Vanguard LifeStrategy 60% (this is also available at 100%, 80%, 40% and 20%)
    - L&G Multi Index Funds (similar to Vanguard they have a range of funds with different levels of risk and potential return)
    - HSBC Global Strategy Funds (again they have a range of these a set above)

If you're going with HL you might also want to check out Blackrock Concensus, I believe their higher risk, 100% & 85%, equity offerings attract a healthy discount on charges.
  • neildt
    Options
    Thanks, Do you have any views on

LF LINDSELL TRAIN UK EQUITY CLASS D - ACCUMULATION (GBP) Wealth 150+ fund
  • sjp999
    sjp999 Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    More expensive than the set 'em and forget 'em funds above, that said - LT do seem to know what they're doing but there's no guarantee they'll continue to do so e.g. Woodford

If you are thinking of going with LT, have you checked their Global Equity fund? Way more globally diversified (gee, really?), others might also suggest the Fundsmith Equity though HL doesn't discount the charges a la the LT funds.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    neildt wrote: »
    Thanks, Do you have any views on

LF LINDSELL TRAIN UK EQUITY CLASS D - ACCUMULATION (GBP) Wealth 150+ fund

Same issue as already mentioned. That fund would fill your UK allocation. What funds are you going to use for the other 9 sectors?

What weightings are you going to use for each of the other sectors?

You should stick to simpler options to begin with until you know what you are doing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure