How small is too small to raise a baby? (For future reference)

Comments

• sheepy21
    sheepy21 Posts: 221 Forumite
    I really think you need to get a handle on yourself, you've made multiple threads about issues with your family and have been seemingly depressed about it. You're now discussing having a baby, I think you need to hold your horses, get your head straight with your existing family problems, have your wedding and see how things go. Having a baby is huge, until you've done it you honestly have no idea, you need to be in the best place possible in so many ways; physically, mentally, financially etc.
    To answer your question, honestly I think 42 square metres is too small, you need room for all their essentials, toys and space to run around. Our house is about 3x what you're living in and I'd honestly say you need twice the space you currently have.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A baby is in a moses basket for a few months and then they need a cot, followed by a toddler bed then a full sized one. The "baby stage" goes by in a flash and then a child will need more space and the two of you will need your privacy too. Can you afford to rent somewhere larger plus pay for childcare whilst you are at work? You don't have any savings whilst it's just the two of you living in a very small place so either your earnings are very low or you have prioritised spending over saving. You have a lot of things to consider in addition to the size of your home before having a child, but you are obviously very young so you have no time pressures on you.
  • nobile
    nobile Posts: 574 Forumite
    Poor child
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    He'd like to be married first which I understand and respect as his parent's aren't married themselves but 'practically married' as they have been together since they were teens (their now in their 40's) and have been engaged for many years.

If there is no intention to marry, they aren't engaged.
    But I'm just asking out of curiosity ; how small would be too small to raise a child? Our house is 42meter squared.

Children are raised in caravans. My parents flat was smaller than 42 square metres when they had me. I haven't done too badly.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Children don't need anywhere near all the stuff most people end up with, and babies need very little - milk, somebody warm who loves them, several changes of clothes, nappies, a bathroom (or kitchen sink!), some books and a small box of toys or 'toys' like the TV remote! If you're organised, you'll be fine in a very small space, but it is easier with more space.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    LilElvis wrote: »
    A baby is in a moses basket for a few months and then they need a cot, followed by a toddler bed then a full sized one. The "baby stage" goes by in a flash and then a child will need more space and the two of you will need your privacy too. Can you afford to rent somewhere larger plus pay for childcare whilst you are at work? You don't have any savings whilst it's just the two of you living in a very small place so either your earnings are very low or you have prioritised spending over saving. You have a lot of things to consider in addition to the size of your home before having a child, but you are obviously very young so you have no time pressures on you.
    The OP is currently saving for her wedding.

Given the threads on family issues - 2 of which were started in the last week - plus the wedding, I'd have thought the OP has enough going on in her life without assessing what is adequate floor space for a baby.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pollycat wrote: »
    The OP is currently saving for her wedding.

Given the threads on family issues - 2 of which were started in the last week - plus the wedding, I'd have thought the OP has enough going on in her life without assessing what is adequate floor space for a baby.

She does say "For future reference ".
  • Pollycat
    She does say "For future reference ".
    I know she does.

And I can understand discussions between her and her husband-to-be.

But it all seems a bit premature to be asking random strangers on t'internet if her current house is big enough.
    IMHO.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I know she does.

And I can understand discussions between her and her husband-to-be.

But it all seems a bit premature to be asking random strangers on t'internet if her current house is big enough.
    IMHO.

Why?

People like to have long term plans or at least an idea of why they are going to do, as long as they appreciate it may not happen that way, whats the harm in planning.

marriage/baby/house
    marriage/house/baby

Those are major events, big decisions I don't see the harm in asking advise on what other people think at this stage even if it is years off.
  • Pollycat
    Why?

People like to have long term plans or at least an idea of why they are going to do, as long as they appreciate it may not happen that way, whats the harm in planning.

marriage/baby/house
    marriage/house/baby

Those are major events, big decisions I don't see the harm in asking advise on what other people think at this stage even if it is years off.
    OK. :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport