Debit card £20 minimum spend, at a pub.

RossHan
RossHan Posts: 8 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Anniversary
Hello, Last week I went for a very long walk in the hot sun to enjoy a nice cold pint of Cider at very nice pub. When I finally got there and ordered my pint, the barman told me that I needed to spend at least £20 to use my debit card. Holding back my disgruntled shock, I said "right, okay...where is the nearest cash point?" the reply was that there isn't any locally, a 20 minute walk away at the Tesco supermarket. Last resort was to get the £20 as cashback, He couldn't do that either. So I had to leave and walk home!. To be fair to the barman, he was cringing a little when explaining about there £20 min spend house rule.

Now, given that there is no cash point locally withing walking distance, or shop for that matter, I think this is blatant profiteering. Is there a trading body that I can complain too?

Thanks,

Ross.

Comments

• greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The only thing that you can really do is what you did......vote with your feet.
    I would have done the same & I bet loads of other people do the same thing.
    Even though merchant cards fees are much lower now than they were 10 years ago they are still a cost & the profit margin on a pint of cider might hardly cover the card fee.
    The silly thing is that if they had a £5 minimum spend you would probably have had a pint & a pie or something else.......but £20 no way.
    Fools to themselves.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You say a cashpoint is a 20 minute walk away, then you say there isn't one within walking distance, which is it?
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    After a long walk in the hot sun, a further 20 minute walk may be unwalkable without refreshment.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Be a bit of a nuisance if the cash point was out of order.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    It's at a Tesco supermarket. Even if the cashpoint is out of order payment by card is possible at the till, and they sell soft and alcoholic drinks.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,277 Forumite
    It's sensible to carry a small amount of cash on you for this very reason. I feel naked if I don't have at least a tenner in my wallet.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • Not sure how it is profiteering.

Surely profiteering is where I sell you goods worth £3 but charge you £10 as an example.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    The only thing that you can really do is what you did......vote with your feet.
    I would have done the same & I bet loads of other people do the same thing.
    Even though merchant cards fees are much lower now than they were 10 years ago they are still a cost & the profit margin on a pint of cider might hardly cover the card fee.
    The silly thing is that if they had a £5 minimum spend you would probably have had a pint & a pie or something else.......but £20 no way.
    Fools to themselves.

Whilst the vendor doesn't make a sale, then there is no profit to be had.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    z1a wrote: »
    You say a cashpoint is a 20 minute walk away, then you say there isn't one within walking distance, which is it?

Would you walk a 40 min journey just for a pint of cider?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • RossHan
    RossHan Posts: 8 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Thanks for the replies. I forgot how pedantic some people are on forums :) I gave them a 1 star TripAdvisor along with loads of others for the same reason. A third of their reviews are terrible, probably the only thing to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure