Raising Funds

Options
2»

Comments

• Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    Brynsam wrote: »
    Try a Justgiving or crowdfunding page - I'm sure many of his friends and relatives would be happy to chip in a bit, and lots of little bits would soon mount up.
    Do apply to the DWP or council as there should be help available.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Shayrana wrote: »
    I have already set up a JustGiving/Crowdfunding page, i did try to link but was removed.
    It was removed as you cannot promote your crowdfunding on here - but there's nothing to stop you circulating it amongst your family and friends via social media. It would be more appropriate for those who knew him to contribute, rather than randoms from a moneysaving forum.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Shayrana
    Shayrana Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    It was removed as you cannot promote your crowdfunding on here - but there's nothing to stop you circulating it amongst your family and friends via social media. It would be more appropriate for those who knew him to contribute, rather than randoms from a moneysaving forum.

This is what I am doing/have already done. And I wasnt asking for contributions just advice and if anyone could share it. It wasnt really a case of 'lets get some money from some randoms on a moneysaving forum' I just kind of thought to myself this would be a place to start since its the first place I tend to think of for help/money advice when people are struggling etc.

But thanks
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    This is what I am doing/have already done. And I wasnt asking for contributions just advice and if anyone could share it. It wasnt really a case of 'lets get some money from some randoms on a moneysaving forum' I just kind of thought to myself this would be a place to start since its the first place I tend to think of for help/money advice when people are struggling etc.

But thanks
    Have you asked the DWP for help?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

But thanks

With respect and sincere condolences you can see that posting the link here would be innapropriate (and not needed if you weren't looking to solicit contributions here) and if it was allowed such things would inevitably be abused .
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 May 2018 at 12:32PM
    Options
    Have you asked the DWP for help?

I doubt DWP will do anything now - the funeral bill is the responsibility of the person who signed the contract with the undertaker. (edit - see ADD below)

When my sister died, almost everyone I spoke to assumed that I would be able to claim a sum of money from the DWP to assist with her funeral expenses, as she had been on benefits. They were wrong - the funeral grant is means tested not only for the deceased, but also for the claimant - and as I wasn't in receipt of any means tested benefits I didn't qualify. Not only that, the claim form didn't just ask for my details - they also wanted the names and NI numbers of all other siblings/other immediate family. Seems if I had been on benefits, but had a parent/another sibling who wasn't - then I still wouldn't have qualified as the parent/other brother/sister would have been expected to pay for the funeral.

OP - again, my sympathies. If you have exhausted all other avenues then sit yourself down and work out exactly how much you are short of being able to cover the funeral bill. Then ask your immediate family/your brothers closest friends if they are able to help you out. My best wishes to you.

ADD:

I correct myself - seems you can submit a claim up to 6 months after the funeral. They still need full details of any other family member(s) who could be expected to pay for the funeral though - and note that the payment may not cover the full cost.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/696339/SF200-adult-funeral-expenses-payment-claim-form.pdf

If you don't qualify for DWP help (or can't face the 22 page application form), then it's back to Plan B I'm afraid - asking for help from family and friends.
  • LobsterMemory
    Options
    Bit late now, obviously, but shouldn't the Registrar have provided the available options when they chitchat to you while registering the death?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure