Gambling of tens of thousands can I sue?

Comments

• DillyDee wrote: »
    Hi there, sorry if this is the wrong section, but I just wanted some advice on best way to proceed and how to format an email to send to the gambling company in question on the losses I've racked up gambling on their site. As I've emailed a number of firms that specialize in gambling disputes around 10 in total and none other that one, who stated to send the emails correspondence across over to them between me and this company, they'll review the communication and send them a letter across, would be a number of hours and overall cost would be about 1k, there's no guarantee this may work to be recompensated though they may sit up and take note from a legal firm..

Anyway.. this isn't your average gambling website, like a bookies, sadly as no action has been taken against them yet I need to limit exactly what I say to limit my identity being exposed and the website in question..

Anyway early 2015, I played on this website with real money and won, a lot of money, just under £50,000 worth.
    I have highlighted in red where caution should have been exercised. I stopped reading when you should have stopped!
  • DillyDee
    DillyDee Posts: 6 Forumite
    I can!!!8217;t respond to you all individually as the quote button isn!!!8217;t working on my site. Thanks for your responses and most notably Wesleyan and soolin.

Yes I agree at the end of the day, I made that decision to part with my money and yes I would of been in the same position as I was before if I didn!!!8217;t win but, I feel like I!!!8217;ve been taken advantage of.

I was naive to believe the account managers words that was documented throughout various email conversations that he had a number of winners who had won playing through him, each time I played through him, he sent me diagrams on what he thought the results would end up being, I then followed his recommendations - these results after each play which are decided by a set humans and not software all ended up being well off the mark.

Surely the accounts manager/the company knew his arrangements was totally wrong hence why they swiftly put this to bed after the backlash they received from other players who found out of the arrangement this account manager had with a number of players.

They work hard to prove people this is an open and legit competition and whilst it is as I!!!8217;ve won and a number of other people have won, I don!!!8217;t think the accounts manager should of gone there in the first place contacting someone who!!!8217;s won asking if they wanting to continue to play through them, it!!!8217;s wrong.

It!!!8217;s not like they are loss makers, they make I assume easily triple the prize giveaway costs each time the competition is played.

I don!!!8217;t need to speak to a charity in regards to my gamabling addiction, I have stopped gamabling huge amounts, I haven!!!8217;t been sensible obviously here, but I am sensible in the case that I haven!!!8217;t used credit cards that I have in my possession to gamble, I have essentially gambled what!!!8217;s in my current account.

I would be happy to get back £10,000 of my winnings back from them, this may sound naive but this amount is a drop in the ocean to them.

The communication between me and the accounts manager stating he has helped a number of players who have played through him seems like a massive conflict of interest to me and surely this information being widely put out in the public of players who play this game is something they wouldn!!!8217;t want to be known.

Like I said I acknowledge it was my fault I didn!!!8217;t have a gun sticked to my head but I just feel the accounts manager shouldn!!!8217;t of gone there.

Had he not mention how he!!!8217;s had a number of winners or showed me diagrams predicting the result, or had I played on the website myself then I would say yes, this is totally on me.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    To sue for anything over £10k (which this would be when costs and interest is added) can be eye wateringly expensive.

Over £10k means you could be liable for the other parties expenses if you lose. They will undoubtedly hire expensive lawyers for that kind of money which you could be liable for.

I think you need to consider if you feel your case is strong or not and could you afford to lose?
  • DillyDee
    DillyDee Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 11 May 2018 at 1:02PM
    Hi Waamo thanks for your response.

Yes I have been reading up about this, I think small claims court for the max limit of 10k would be very cheap to file.

Anything else is up to a limit there!!!8217;s 25k, then another stage of over 25,000 which takes a year or so to get to court..

If I!!!8217;m honest, it would be nice to recoup all my losses but it would be hard as it!!!8217;s not like I!!!8217;ve spent £50,000 back on their website only approx 15,000..

I!!!8217;d be happy with £10,000 back it would bring some sort of closure. I plan on sitting down and sending an email to their accounts manager (not the one I played through this) and just let that person know how I feel and show them the screenshots of the conversations through the other account manager stating how he stated he had got a number of winners by playing through him and I naively fell for this when ultimately he didn!!!8217;t make the decisions that counted - As in me winning.. I followed his diagrams on strategy when playing and they were well off the mark.

I guess it!!!8217;sworth a try, they can either tell me to do one, or willing to recompensate me for some of my losses.

Personally I think the conversations are damaging to their business, one that they work hard to prove people wrong and that they are open and legit and not a scam, they are not a scam but it!!!8217;s clear they operate dubiously in the sense of taking advantage of players when they knew or should I say the account manager, was wrong to do.
  • reason2
    reason2 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Its notoriously difficult to get money back from gambling due to the terms and conditions and nature of the game.

i have had a few refunds in my time when i had a problem, but this was because i was a self excluded customer and they still let me log in and bet.

this to me sounds like you just didnt get lucky again and got betters remorse, which unfortunately happens and isnt refundable
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 11 May 2018 at 2:08PM
    I'm pleased that you don't have a gambling problem, however, you mentioned feeling suicidal so there is still an issue there that requires professional help.

I still don't understand your reasoning.
    If I'm honest, it would be nice to recoup all my losses
    You haven't lost anything!
    I'd be happy with £10,000 back it would bring some sort of closure
    I bet it would! But you're using the wrong terminology. It's not £10,000 'back'. You are in the same position you were in when you started this whole process! If they were to give you £10,000, you'd be up - £10k richer than when you started. How on earth is that justified?

You talk as if gambling should be a one-way process where any gains you make have been rightfully earned, yet consequent losses are someone else's fault.

I am genuinely glad you're not a gambling addict. You are, however, delusional. You do need to seek help because by your own admission, you feel low and suicidal and hopefully professional help will assist in coming to terms with the whole scenario which thankfully, hasn't resulted in you losing any money at all. It could have ended up so differently.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I dont understand how you can gamble, through an account manager employed by the firm you are gambling with - who gives you tips to win ..

It doesnt make sense - what would the account manager gaining out of this ?
    Was he promised a share of the spoils by you ?

If not then it's obviously in his best interest that you lose

confused :huh:
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    So basically If your not a troll and this is no a copy and paste (its a bit long winded tbh), you got in with a guy who claimed to have insider information and you thought great I can cheat my way to a fortune.

You can see why you would never have a case right? it's basically fraud, you would be shooting yourself in the foot.
  • AndyPix wrote: »
    I dont understand how you can gamble, through an account manager employed by the firm you are gambling with - who gives you tips to win ..

It doesnt make sense - what would the account manager gaining out of this ?
    Was he promised a share of the spoils by you ?

If not then it's obviously in his best interest that you lose

confused :huh:

I think...and I stress, think, it's so rambling it's very unclear - that it's more a "somebody has to win" kind of thing - every week some of the the people who pay in get back a percentage of the total. So it doesn't matter to the company who that is.

Therefore by telling people he had a scheme that would make it more likely for them to win, they paid in more and increased the pot. Even if the OP won £5K every week for a £5 stake, it was better for the company to have their £5 than not, as someone else was getting the £5K if it wasn't them. Encouraging people to spend is the important thing.

It's all very bizarre though. And of course, the "inside information" was nothing of the kind. What the OP claims happened is surely illegal.
  • bris wrote: »
    So basically If your not a troll and this is no a copy and paste (its a bit long winded tbh), you got in with a guy who claimed to have insider information and you thought great I can cheat my way to a fortune.

You can see why you would never have a case right? it's basically fraud, you would be shooting yourself in the foot.

Except they seem to be claiming this person represented themselves as acting officially for the company. They do say they believe he was getting commission on their spending, which they obviously wouldn't do if it was all illicit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure