fixing shed roof

Hi all,

My flat (slight slope) felted shed roof is leaking. Some of the timber seems to be sagging so I guess this needs to be replaced first, its only one or two planks. Question is should I re-felt it or would coroline sheets last longer? Can they be used on only a slight slope?

Cheers!

Comments

• Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    I know nothing about Coroline.

Have you considered EPDM?

I used it to replace a rotting felt roof.

It is about three times the price of felt but it lasts more or less for ever.

Have a look at that and compare it to Coroline.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks, yes that could be an option. I have an extension with it on the roof so I know the stuff.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 May 2018 at 1:29PM
    Coroline is a begger to cut but can be done if done slowly and with some support. Have you thought of using Cromapol excellent product for repairing leaks, I even use it for various other solutions like preventing rotting on the allotment on gravel boards. You probably need to fix the sagging though. You can get 5Kg tin for around £26-£27 on ebay.

I use Coroline on my lean too attached to shed at allotment for a greenhouse. The shed roof I replaced with EPDM but had I known how good Cromapol was I would have used it on felt roof
  • andrewf75
    Thanks, sounds like EPDM is the way to go. The cromapol sounds good, but would clearly only be a temporary repair
    Looks like a piece of EPDM will be around 50 quid
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've seen marine ply nailed over an old saggy felted roof to provide a good base for EPDM. Sorts out unevenness and sagging too. Any damp will dry out from the inside in time.
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I would highly recommend EPDM. I have it on my hand built shed. I chose a very gentle pitch so that I can maximise the interior volume. Had pent sheds in the past where the height on the sides were very low. People go for pent sheds because they look good. But an apex with the minimal-est pitch is ideal. I went for 1:6, but if I were to do it again I would have gone for 1:20 - just enough for rain to run down.

I got EPDM for very very cheap from gumtree. Excess from someone elses job. It is quite expensive to buy brand new.
  • andrewf75
    datostar wrote: »
    I've seen marine ply nailed over an old saggy felted roof to provide a good base for EPDM. Sorts out unevenness and sagging too. Any damp will dry out from the inside in time.

does it need a plywood base? or can I glue it to the existing roof battens (after replacing the rotten ones)?
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    does it need a plywood base? or can I glue it to the existing roof battens (after replacing the rotten ones)?

A plywood base would be the ideal, but given EPDM's longevity and intrinsic waterproof nature you should be able to get away with the cheaper chipboard type boards instead. I'm visualising your roof battens as something like a house loft without flooring, i.e. sticking up at intervals. I think you'd be better with some kind of continuous surface for the EPDM.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I used 9mm OSB (sterling board) about 10 years ago & the roof is still as good as new.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • andrewf75
    edited 10 May 2018 at 4:23PM
    datostar wrote: »
    A plywood base would be the ideal, but given EPDM's longevity and intrinsic waterproof nature you should be able to get away with the cheaper chipboard type boards instead. I'm visualising your roof battens as something like a house loft without flooring, i.e. sticking up at intervals. I think you'd be better with some kind of continuous surface for the EPDM.

it is roughly 10cm wide boards fitted against each other - so separate pieces but it is a continous surface if you see what I mean! Maybe should have taken some pics first
    Most of it is in good nick just need to replace one or two where the water has pooled and leaked in through the felt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure