American Express Gold Charge vs Credit

Options
Now that Amex have stopped issuing the Gold charge card in favour of the credit card, does anyone know if they will switch existing charge card holders over to the credit card when the card expires? :(

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    No one will know but Amex,,, maybe ask them?
  • Pablo2010
    Pablo2010 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    It's not possible to switch over to credit card version for now.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    I would imagine no. The chargecards and credit cards are different types of product and also Amex would not want to loose the high fees associated with the chargecards.
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    I would imagine no. The chargecards and credit cards are different types of product and also Amex would not want to loose the high fees associated with the chargecards.

AFAIK, the fees on both cards are similar or the same. Amex-issued Amex cards aren't affected by the EU interchange fee cap.

Cardholders will not be switched because the credit agreements with Amex for each card differ. The only thing Amex could do is to close down all charge cards with sufficient notice, and invite them to apply for the credit card. But, there is no need for them to do so.
  • Jasonh2015
    Jasonh2015 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 May 2018 at 7:35PM
    Options
    The Gold Charge Card is still showing on their website, and i can't find any news saying it's being discontinued, where did you see this? In the US they've stopped issuing a version of the Gold Charge Card.
  • Candystore
    Candystore Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jasonh2015 wrote: »
    The Gold Charge Card is still showing on their website, and i can't find any news saying it's being discontinued, where did you see this?

https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/04/26/amex-gold-charge-card-pulled-replaced-credit-card/
  • Jasonh2015
    Jasonh2015 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks! I got it again last month, and it's still the Charge Card version. I prefer the charge card over credit, it helps keep spending in check :)
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 8 May 2018 at 9:59PM
    Options
    zerog wrote: »
    AFAIK, the fees on both cards are similar or the same. Amex-issued Amex cards aren't affected by the EU interchange fee cap.

Cardholders will not be switched because the credit agreements with Amex for each card differ. The only thing Amex could do is to close down all charge cards with sufficient notice, and invite them to apply for the credit card. But, there is no need for them to do so.

To clarify I was referring to the annual fee charged to cardholders not interchange fees.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure