Affordable home phone, calls only, for pensioner

Mother in law is paying £30 a month to BT for her phone line plus any time calls this seems ridiculous.

Does anyone know of a reliable, affordable alternative?

This is her lifeline as she's partially sighted, she needs no internet but does make all her calls during the day.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
  • Thanks will have a look, seems ridiculous she is paying so much
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    BT Home Phone Saver is £21.99 per month including line rental and Unlimited Anytime calls to numbers starting 01, 02 and 03 as well as to numbers starting 0845 and 0870.

The price is fixed for several years and a whole host of additional features are incuded free of charge.
  • Simple_Soul
    Simple_Soul Posts: 48 Forumite
    Mother in law is paying £30 a month to BT for her phone line plus any time calls this seems ridiculous.

Does anyone know of a reliable, affordable alternative?

This is her lifeline as she's partially sighted, she needs no internet but does make all her calls during the day.

My parents are in a similar position. I was about to move them to BT's new Home Phone Saver option, but recently read that BT is reducing the price of their Anytime option, for phone-only customers by, I think it was, £7 a month, so it would be very close to the Home Phone Saver price anyway.

Also, I think that the Anytime option gives half price calls to mobiles, whereas with the Home Phone Saver, calls to mobiles are full price.

This is all from memory, so don't take my word for it; check it out.

Anyway, I decided to do nothing for now.
  • Ian011
    A reminder that BT is now the ONLY major landline phone provider to NOT include calls to UK mobile numbers within inclusive allowances.

Every other major landline provider, and numerous small providers, include these at least within their Unlimited Anytime, or equivalent, call plans.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I thought mobile calls were still a £3 month extra on Plusnet
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,433 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ian011 wrote: »
    A reminder that BT is now the ONLY major landline phone provider to NOT include calls to UK mobile numbers within inclusive allowances.

Every other major landline provider, and numerous small providers, include these at least within their Unlimited Anytime, or equivalent, call plans.
    Browntoa wrote: »
    I thought mobile calls were still a £3 month extra on Plusnet

They certainly were earlier in the year before I left for John Lewis, who charge £5 extra for calls to mobiles!
    https://www.johnlewisbroadband.com/unlimited/
  • Ian011
    I wouldn't consider either Plusnet or John Lewis to be major providers, but both do offer thousands of minutes of calls to UK mobile numbers for just a few pounds per month. This is in contrast to paying (something like) 16p to 22p per call plus 14p to 18p per minute.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Have you checked her latest bill?
    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/60353/~/reduced-rental-for-landline-only-customers
    Also, does she qualify for BT Basic? All depends how many minutes a month she needs, and to what kind of numbers?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport