The MF pipe dream

Options

Comments

• Youthgonewild
    Options
    Going to be a very spendy week! Staying in a hotel in York at the weekend for my friends hen do. Going to cost £80+.

Got my train tickets the other week. £22 return which is not too bad. But then there will be drinks, meals out, and anything else we may get up to. Might need to remortgage the house haha!
    Mortgage balance October 2015: £99875 Mortgage balance June 2023: £69999.40
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 24 April 2018 at 7:39AM
    Options
    Hello and welcome :wave:.

It seems a bit odd to say it on a MF forum - but are you sure OP'ing your mortgage is the right thing to do? Things to think about:
    • You're very young but what are your retirement plans? What's your current state retirement age - you can probably add a few years onto that by the time you reach it. Do you really want to work that long? Is your main work pension a defined benefit or defined contribution one? How are your AVC's invested - can you control that? Pension contributions are the most efficient way to save for the future as you get tax relief added on, so your £30 will become £37.50 - a good instant return, so worth thinking about.
    • Assuming you want to retire say 10 years before the state retirement age. How are you going to fill the gap? Stocks and Shares ISA's are one of the best ways as all your gains are tax free. Again, worth thinking about.
    • Why do you want to be MF by 50? Do you actually want to be MF, or just not have to fork out on mortgage payments? If you invested your overpayments in a S&S ISA you could accumulate enough to pay it off then, or even withdraw enough every month to pay the mortgage. It only needs to grow at a rate higher than your mortgage rate to be worthwhile and that is easily achievable over the long-term, moving into safer options the last few years to lock in your gains.
    • I'm assuming you'll read the above, nod your head and agree with the maths, but decide you want to overpay anyway as you want the security of owning your home. Especially as a single parent, putting a roof over your heads is a big responsibility and you can't put a price over security. So, on that basis, you need to get every penny working for you:
    • Your mortgage is a decent rate, but you can get better elsewhere with regular savers - 5% with First Direct, 3% with others. Look at opening a current account with FD - you have to pay in £1,000 a month but you can do that then transfer it out the next day. Then set up a regular saver with them. At the very least, divert the £150 mortgage overpayment into there. You won't earn a massive amount of interest but it's over double what you're saving on mortgage interest at present. At the end of the year, when the regular saver matures, use the cash to make a one-off overpayment to the mortgage, set up a new regular saver and repeat.
    • I'd be surprised if your cash ISA is as high as '0.5% or thereabouts'! Investigate it as a matter of urgency. You're using it as short term savings and the first £1,000 of interest in ordinary accounts is now tax-free so you're gaining nothing now by holding it in an ISA. RCI offer a 1.3% instant access account - easy to use online, the only downfall is it takes a few days for payments in and out. Or the AA also have one over 1%. We're not talking vast amounts but make those little green soldiers work hard for you!
    That's enough for you to deal with at present I think :rotfl:. The important thing is you're being sensible and planning ahead - well done you :T.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Youthgonewild
    Options
    All very good points gallygirl and thank you for taking the time to reply. Your reasoning is sound but I will explain my situation later today. Just getting my oldest sorted for school.... I am not a morning person haha!
  • Youthgonewild
    Options
    You're very young but what are your retirement plans? What's your current state retirement age - you can probably add a few years onto that by the time you reach it. Do you really want to work that long? Is your main work pension a defined benefit or defined contribution one? How are your AVC's invested - can you control that? Pension contributions are the most efficient way to save for the future as you get tax relief added on, so your £30 will become £37.50 - a good instant return, so worth thinking about.

My pension scheme is a defined benefits scheme. I have no 'control' really over what I invest AVCs in as the fund are managed under the pension scheme. I have opted for it to be invested in low/medium risk fund though. My current pension age is 67, I know I definitely don't want to be doing my job then as it is very physical and although I'm only 32, my hips are knackered lol!
    Assuming you want to retire say 10 years before the state retirement age. How are you going to fill the gap? Stocks and Shares ISA's are one of the best ways as all your gains are tax free. Again, worth thinking about.

I really haven't thought that far ahead :eek: but I have some money invested in S&S which is doing okay. Growth has been steady for the past three or so years.
  • Youthgonewild
    Options
    Why do you want to be MF by 50? Do you actually want to be MF, or just not have to fork out on mortgage payments? If you invested your overpayments in a S&S ISA you could accumulate enough to pay it off then, or even withdraw enough every month to pay the mortgage. It only needs to grow at a rate higher than your mortgage rate to be worthwhile and that is easily achievable over the long-term, moving into safer options the last few years to lock in your gains.

Hmmmm a good question. With the combination of my dodgy hips and physical role I think 50 would be a good age to not have to worry about keeping a roof over my head. It will allow me some flexibility with the job I do (hopefully) or the hours I work I suppose. If i kept the same job I have now (I love my job btw) i could throw huge chunks of money (i.e. the cost of my mortgage) at my pension once I've cleared my mortgage. Thats my thinking anyway. I know S&S may long term make much more gains than Oping the mortgage, but I guess i prefer the security of knowing that what I have invested in the house is mine. S&S probably fluctuates more wildly than the housing market.... just a guess though, I'm really no expert :)
  • Youthgonewild
    Options
    I'm assuming you'll read the above, nod your head and agree with the maths, but decide you want to overpay anyway as you want the security of owning your home. Especially as a single parent, putting a roof over your heads is a big responsibility and you can't put a price over security. So, on that basis, you need to get every penny working for you:

This is spot on...
  • Youthgonewild
    Options
    [Your mortgage is a decent rate, but you can get better elsewhere with regular savers - 5% with First Direct, 3% with others. Look at opening a current account with FD - you have to pay in £1,000 a month but you can do that then transfer it out the next day. Then set up a regular saver with them. At the very least, divert the £150 mortgage overpayment into there. You won't earn a massive amount of interest but it's over double what you're saving on mortgage interest at present. At the end of the year, when the regular saver matures, use the cash to make a one-off overpayment to the mortgage, set up a new regular saver and repeat.QUOTE]

I have set up another ISA with my BS, it offers 5% interest but you can only put in up to £250 pm. So far I have been doing this. I use my rubbish interest ISA just as an account to stick OP money in.
    I'd be surprised if your cash ISA is as high as '0.5% or thereabouts'! Investigate it as a matter of urgency. You're using it as short term savings and the first £1,000 of interest in ordinary accounts is now tax-free so you're gaining nothing now by holding it in an ISA. RCI offer a 1.3% instant access account - easy to use online, the only downfall is it takes a few days for payments in and out. Or the AA also have one over 1%. We're not talking vast amounts but make those little green soldiers work hard for you!

Just checked, Gallygirl - the rubbish ISA is 0.75% interest. I opened it years ago at a higher rate than it dropped down to the rate its at now and I never bothered getting rid of it, I just kept it there sort of like an intermediary account when I wanted to save for something specific like Christmas or whatever but wasn't really bothered about gaining loads of interest or keeping money in there for prolonged periods of time. It was basically to stop me spending money out of my main account :rotfl:

Thank you for all your advice though. I love this forum. Everyone is so helpful!

I've made an OP over the phone today of £120. Not megabucks but I will KOKO! :j
  • gallygirl
    Options
    Oh well done, you have it all sorted - well as much as you can really! Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but so is the security of owning your own home - especially with the single parent/dodgy hips issues!

Congrats on the overpayment :)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Youthgonewild
    Options
    Thanks Gallygirl. Im really not sure I do. I could probably be doing any number of things better and making my money work harder for me and probably should look at upping my AVCs. I think Im just trying to cover all bases lol.
  • gallygirl
    Options
    Thanks Gallygirl. Im really not sure I do. I could probably be doing any number of things better and making my money work harder for me and probably should look at upping my AVCs. I think Im just trying to cover all bases lol.
    All you can do is all you can do :T. Covering all bases is better than leaving some uncovered! So just keep an eye on the big picture and reassess when you have any spare cash.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback