I behave well but my credit scores are poor

2»

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Are you wanting to borrow money from Experian, Equifax or Call Credit?
  • nic_c wrote: »

There is no point in trying to analyse why a particular score is given as most creditors have their own internal scoring mechanism and the CRA's is more to get punters to part with their cash to undertake so called "score improvement" schemes or so they can monitor the "score" daily rather than it having any impact on whether they will get future credit.

yes, i agree, and now that you don't need to pay for your credit reports, i can tell that this is where the agencies see their incomes now. I never purchase these as i can predict that they will tell me virtually nothing i don't already know - and that they will not answer my first question above.
  • Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Are you wanting to borrow money from Experian, Equifax or Call Credit?

No, as they are not lenders! Also I don't need to borrow money. I will be debt free (apart from mortgage) in about two weeks. and I plan to stay like that for ever.
  • nic_c wrote: »

There is no point in trying to analyse why a particular score is given as most creditors have their own internal scoring mechanism and the CRA's is more to get punters to part with their cash to undertake so called "score improvement" schemes or so they can monitor the "score" daily rather than it having any impact on whether they will get future credit.

People are perfectionists, its why you get people trying to improve their score or announcing their 999 score with pride expecting the world is now their oyster.

i generally get 0% CCs when I need them, but another result (I think) of my low score is that that I have a 5% chance of getting decent CCs according to the MSE eligibility checker in credit club. RIght now I have an average income and a few outgoings showing on my credit file but 5% seems a bit drastic.
  • chrisinnes wrote: »
    No, as they are not lenders! Also I don't need to borrow money. I will be debt free (apart from mortgage) in about two weeks. and I plan to stay like that for ever.

... hence the reason that the scores that the the CRA's provide are irrelevant
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    chrisinnes wrote: »
    i generally get 0% CCs when I need them, but another result (I think) of my low score is that that I have a 5% chance of getting decent CCs according to the MSE eligibility checker in credit club. RIght now I have an average income and a few outgoings showing on my credit file but 5% seems a bit drastic.

So why worry? I honestly don't get it. Your own experiences show how pointless the scores are.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    I've said similar before, but I can only think that for some people the score itself is a thing of value. A high score is a badge or an accolade. I find that strange.
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    shortcrust wrote: »
    So why worry? I honestly don't get it. Your own experiences show how pointless the scores are.

Just goes to show the extent the CRA's have hook, line and sinkered some people. They know it's pointless but still get worried about the numbers going up or down.
  • shortcrust wrote: »
    I've said similar before, but I can only think that for some people the score itself is a thing of value. A high score is a badge or an accolade. I find that strange.

Exactly.

YAY I'm bankrupt and my score is 999 - I'm so good with money and my credit worthiness is amazing (....despite being bankrupt for thousands or hundreds of thousands of pounds of debt.....)
    :T:rotfl::T
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    chrisinnes wrote: »

As you are able to get 0% credit cards then your credit history can't be that poor. Just continue to check your credit reports at the three main agencies and make sure all the information is correct.
    I know you aim to be debt free (apart from a mortgage) but it's probably a good idea to keep spending on a card and paying it in full month to keep generating a good credit history..

Also asking why you score is low is like asking why a person standing on the side of the road is telling you that your are speeding (credit score) but a policeman with a gun said that you were fine (ability to get 0% cards). If you keep asking the reason why the random person is saying your speeding and asking for their reasoning but ignoring the fact the policeman said you were fine you have to expect abrupt replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure