Next Bank Promotion

Lloyd’s and BOS have just announced that their current account interest rate is coming down to 1.50%. Earlier in the year, Natwest, uncharacteristicly, offered a £125 switching bonus incentive.

One bad and one good for customers. Lloyd’s and BOS will lose customers and NatWest will gain customers although I’m not sure if many will stay.

The question is who will be next and will it be to gain customers or reduce the cost of retaining them?

My tip is for Virgin Money to launch a full personal current account. Okay this is not news but to succeed it will need a worthwhile USP. I have just found a new crystal ball so let’s see if it’s any good. :)

Comments

• ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    You may be right. A new player in the current account market would potentially shake things up. Starling Bank has done that to some extent, although its offering is more focused on customer experience, rather than financial gain (a noteworthy exception being their fee-free - Mastercard rate - overseas spending).

It may be that other banks reduce the interest rate they offer on their current accounts too. Tesco are committed to paying 3% until next April, but after that the rate may drop. TSB could reduced their 3% rate, but as the maximum balance on which it is available is low (£1,500) I think that may be more sustainable. Nationwide have already closed the loophole allowing people to get the 5% rate for more than 12 months on a FlexDirect account. This may cause them some loss of customers over the medium term, although the continued availability of a linked 5% regular saver is an incentive not to leave.

I suspect that switching incentives will continue to be offered with banks offering them from time to time, but generally excluding existing customers and those who have previously received a bonus. Some may even follow First Direct's lead by excluding from the bonus anyone who has ever been a customer in any form. The churn generated by mass switching could be a diminishing return for the banks and their interest in generating such large volumes of switchers, who then jump ship weeks later, may be waning.

What I don't think likely is that banks will give up on trying to entice customers in. Linked regular savings accounts are an obvious boon in this regard, as they tie the customer in for a period of time. The rate needs to be attractive, however, and the maximum deposit a reasonable size. While some will be attracted to accounts offering regular savings interest rates of 2% plus, I have little interest in such low rates and would be looking for 5% as a minimum. Partly, your attitude to such accounts depends on the size of your cash holdings, and your level of aversion, or wariness, to investments.
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I think the whole concept of banks offering loss leading account to entice potential customers in order to up sell other products has had its day. Or it has until they find a system that will tailor products to a customer. The penny might have dropped that because of the internet we can cherry pick from them all.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Someone speculated the other day that Santander might consider dropping the rate on their 123 current account to 1.23% AER (1.22% gross p.a.) now Lloyds & BoS have shown their hand.

I'm sure such a move will have been discussed by their product managers/marketing department previously, but LBG's announcement may put it back on the agenda.
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    RG2015 wrote: »
    My tip is for Virgin Money to launch a full personal current account. Okay this is not news but to succeed it will need a worthwhile USP. I have just found a new crystal ball so let’s see if it’s any good. :)

Virgin Money have ruled out a full current account through their branch/online network. Their full current account, or universal account as they are calling it, will only be available through their digital bank due to launch next year.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    AirlieBird wrote: »
    Virgin Money have ruled out a full current account through their branch/online network. Their full current account, or universal account as they are calling it, will only be available through their digital bank due to launch next year.
    Thank you for the information. I have checked online and found out some more.

I am not enticed by app only bank accounts but if the VM Universal account included full online functionality and a decent app that would suit me. The suggestion of partitioning the account is intriguing but not the sort of USP to hook me in. I just wonder if they may come in with something more innovative.
  • ValiantSon
    Someone speculated the other day that Santander might consider dropping the rate on their 123 current account to 1.23% AER (1.22% gross p.a.) now Lloyds & BoS have shown their hand.

I'm sure such a move will have been discussed by their product managers/marketing department previously, but LBG's announcement may put it back on the agenda.

If they did then I suspect that most people still using a 123 account would jump ship. The reduction of the interest rate to 1.5% (and the preceding increase in the account fee to £5 per month) was not popular, but the account remained attractive for certain types of customers. At the time, speculation was that they would reduce the rate to 2%, so the reduction to 1.5% was greater than expected, and it was suggested had been done so that they would not have to make another rate reduction for the foreseeable future.

Of course, this does not mean that they won't reduce the rate on the 123 account, but I think they would only do so if their intention was to kill the account off over the medium term. The reputational damage would be quite significant.

Perhaps a more likely possibility would be a reduction in the maximum balance on which interest is payable. At £20,000 this is well above what can be achieved elsewhere.

My suspicion is that Santander won't touch the interest rate on the 123 account for quite some time. I may be wrong, but I don't see it happening at present.
  • ValiantSon

I am not enticed by app only bank accounts but if the VM Universal account included full online functionality and a decent app that would suit me. The suggestion of partitioning the account is intriguing but not the sort of USP to hook me in. I just wonder if they may come in with something more innovative.

There's some meaningless guff from the CEO about, "personalised accounts". What that actually turns out to mean remains to be seen. I doubt it will be all that interesting.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    RBS and Barclays are the two banks sitting very quietly in a corner not doing much to attract current account customers.

It remains to be seen if NatWest's toe in the water of a switching bonus was some kind of pilot for RBS to follow with later.... but if lots of people make a fuss about late payments, and switch away immediately, then it might be a warning to RBS against doing the same.

So that leaves Barclays.... often near the top of the switch 'net loss' table, how long can they sustain that without it impacting on the business? (with no decent savings accounts to tempt people in either).
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite

This presentation is probably best for what they are planning.
    https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/investor-relations/2017/vm-capital-markets-day-presentation.pdf
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Perhaps a more likely possibility would be a reduction in the maximum balance on which interest is payable. At £20,000 this is well above what can be achieved elsewhere.
    I'm on record on here as speculating that in the past, several times. Indeed, I thought they'd do that instead of cutting the rate last time.
    My suspicion is that Santander won't touch the interest rate on the 123 account for quite some time. I may be wrong, but I don't see it happening at present.
    I hope you're right, because it's my main hub account and also a feeder account for many regular savers. I'd have some major admin work to do if I was forced to close it due to a 1.23% rate.
    EachPenny wrote:
    So that leaves Barclays
    That's where my money is for the next switching offer (that I'd qualify for), and I have several accounts ready to switch if the T&Cs are lax!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure