Will making

Hi all
I live in Northern Ireland and would like to know if my son in law could be an executor of my will AND ALSO sign as a witness

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    loughlin1 wrote: »
    Hi all
    I live in Northern Ireland and would like to know if my son in law could be an executor of my will AND ALSO sign as a witness

Yes.

He can't be a beneficiary if he witnesses your will and neither can your daughter.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    edited 15 April 2018 at 4:32PM
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Yes.

He can't be a beneficiary if he witnesses your will and neither can your daughter.
    However it may be better to have an unrelated witness to avoid any post death accusations of undue influence.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    However it may b better to have an unrelated witness to avoid any post death accusations of undue influence.

Definitely best to do so.
  • If you are doing your will "properly" (ie drawn up by a solicitor) they will arrange the witnesses.

If you are doing a DIY job (not recommended except for the simplest of wills) you really need witnesses who can be shown to be independent.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you are doing your will "properly" (ie drawn up by a solicitor) they will arrange the witnesses.

Not always. I had mine done by a solicitor, free through my union. They sent it to me and I had to get two people to sign as witnesses.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Yes.

And will he be willing to undertake the work of being an executor when he won't be getting anything in the Will? He can claim out-of-pocket expenses, but no payment or fees as a non-professional executor.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure