win 7 availability?

2»

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    I think they will be (but do not know), Everywhere, as they are surplus machines from an organisation that has updated it's hardware, I understand. Most likely Dell or HP.

Perhaps you should find out, as that will determine whether a product key is needed.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I never said you can't use Windows 7 beyond 2020. Also Opera browser (which uses Chromium backend also my default browser) still supports Windows Vista and Firefox Extended Support Release still supports Vista until atleast June 2018.

Windows 7 will still be supported by the major browsers for a long time yet as Windows 7 still has a major user share.

My support ending comment wasn't particularly aimed at anyone but just a general observation. There is I think a perception that when an OS goes out of support then that's it and you must have a newer one. Certainly there is an increased security risk as time passes that users should be aware of, due to the lack of security updates. If you like visiting Russian !!!!!! websites then maybe you should upgrade to something more secure. For those of us who's browsing history is a little more tame an out of support OS should last for years more.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,869
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Xbigman wrote: »
    There is I think a perception that when an OS goes out of support then that's it and you must have a newer one. Certainly there is an increased security risk as time passes that users should be aware of, due to the lack of security updates. If you like visiting Russian !!!!!! websites then maybe you should upgrade to something more secure. For those of us who's browsing history is a little more tame an out of support OS should last for years more.

This is probably more the case but mixed in with the fact that as time passes new software (and hardware) drops support for previous versions of Windows. Office is a key example here, the 2013/2016 versions only work on Windows 7 or later. But there is no magic switch that Microsoft, Google or Apple flip to say "your computer is old and crap, go and buy a new one".

Eventually there comes a point where no new hardware or software works on a particular version of Windows, so everybody's hand gets forced eventually.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A quick update to my post #4 above. The print on the copy of W7 I have is very small resulting in a message from microsoft today (6 days since installation) to say my product key is invalid. My options were;
    1 Phone activation
    2 Buy a new code from Microsoft
    3 Enter a new code.

I used a magnifying glass to read the product code I had already entered and using option 3 tried it again. It worked. I obviously entered the code incorrectly the first time around. Just be aware you need really good eyesight to activate the software I linked to. Or a magnifying glass.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts