Club Lloyds and BOS dropping rates to 1.5% on 1st July

Comments

• eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Looks like I'll be closing or emptying one of my two BOS Vantage accounts.

Two of the DD's are funded by charity direct debits so one will have to go. The two charities will both be in my will so they won't lose out in the long term.

I'll move the £5k into my Birmingham Midshires 1.45% account for the time being.

A new switching bonus would be good but I don't think there are any that I haven't had.

BOS has been my main Bank for over 25 years but they aren't offering much these days.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 April 2018 at 8:43AM
    I'll keep for the time being - don't forget access to the monthly savers. If the BoE base rate goes up again, that will put my mortgage up to 1.5%, so using funds to offset that would be better as it won't then be taxable

You can have access to the (currently) 2% fixed BofS monthly saver without having a BofS current account. But access to the (currently) 3% fixed Club Lloyds MS depends on having a Club Lloyds current account. Worth holding the Club Lloyds current account, even with nil balance, to keep access to the MS. Just remember to fund the current account with £1500+ each calendar month (with immediate transfer out) to avoid £3 monthly fee,

EDITED: Apologies, you do need a BofS current account to access the MS (I was thinking of the Halifax RS which isn't linked to a current account) But you would only need to keep one of your BofS current accounts open, with nil balance.
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    "David Partington" will be on here in a minute asking us to phone Lloyds on mass to complain. *

* Topical humour, may not be relevant to all readers! :)
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    mollycat wrote: »
    "David Partington" will be on here in a minute asking us to phone Lloyds on mass to complain. *

* Topical humour, may not be relevant to all readers! :)
    He'll be saying they have no right to vary anything!
  • Sun-Is-Fun
    Sun-Is-Fun Posts: 244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    :(Not good news this. It wasn't too long ago this account was paying 4%
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Tesco and BOS must be having a right laugh at us!

Oh well. No point me worrying about my 3rd BOS account then.

A charity was getting the interest from one of my BOS accounts too
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,095 Forumite
    DITED: Apologies, you do need a BofS current account to access the MS (I was thinking of the Halifax RS which isn't linked to a current account) But you would only need to keep one of your BofS current accounts open, with nil balance.

Ha! You had me worried there - I thought I had mis-remembered my T&Cs! I have Halifax and BoS Regular / Monthly Savers - I was aware of the Halifax one not requiring a current account. I also have both Lloyds Monthly Savers - the one requiring a current account, and the one not.
    I suppose it is always worth people (for the time-being) treating these 1.5% accounts as instant access savers from July, as long as the direct debit and minimum pay-in requirements are met.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,095 Forumite
    I think June/July time will be bad for me - three BoS and one Lloyds account dropping from 2% to 1.5%, Nationwide drops from 5% to 1%, and the £10pm cashback on my TSB account finishes!
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Well that's pants news for a Saturday morning.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • gocat
    gocat Posts: 5,905 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    That saves me worrying about the DD's . Had set some up but they dont seem to be taking any money at the moment. Just says frequency "not known" and nothing deducted. But was suppose to start 1st April. Ah well. Another few charities losing out
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure