IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

URGENT: County Court Claim

Options
Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have recently moved back into my family house after living with a friend for a few months. I have received 4 county court claims from Northampton County Court for Claims raised by Euro Parking Services! I did not receive any of the other letters as they were returned as gone away by my family as I was not living at home for a few months due to personal reasons.

The charges claimed are around the £250 mark for each one! I was the keeper of the vehicle (which has since been sold) however, I am unsure of who the driver was at the time as a few people had access to my vehicle.

I have done some research on the building where they were issued and it is a residential building. The only way to get into the car park is by having a key fob or a resident to let you in. Residents will have to give the visitor a visitor pass to be displayed which I believe was displayed each time.

I need to file my defence for 2 of the claims by tomorrow (very late notice I know) and I have another couple of weeks for the other 2.

Unfortunately, I am not very good with these sorts of things and I think I will struggle filing a good defence and was wondering if you guys could assist. Is it ok for me to include all the above details as my defence or would I need to add additional information?

Many thanks for your help in advance

Comments

• nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you read the NEWBIES thread?

Go there now. Post 2. Its on page one of this forum.

It tells you to acknowledge the claims ONLINE. This gives you an EXTRA 14 days, 33 days in total, for the defence to be received.

DO THIS NOW>

You will of course need a real defence. A defence is a set of legal arguments why YOU are not liable.
  • GolfR12
    GolfR12 Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Unfortunately I have already done this so the tomorrow is the end of the extra 14 day period !!!128553; this completely slipped my mind until yesterday night!
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 13 April 2018 at 12:50PM
    Options
    Can you not ask the court for an extension, claiming blurred vision or something.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    GolfR12 wrote: »
    Hi,

Unfortunately I have already done this so the tomorrow is the end of the extra 14 day period !!!128553; this completely slipped my mind until yesterday night!

You'd better start urgently drafting something out using examples from the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2. But to be honest, expecting one of the (about three or four) regular advisers on court defences to drop everything and put a good deal of their weekend's free time into this is extremely optimistic.

Even if you don't get forum help, anything is better than nothing, so use a previous defence that looks to you to more or less fit your circumstances and get that off to the CCBC. If you don't submit a defence, you will receive a default judgment against you and a CCJ for the full amount being sued for.

If you file a defence, you should get to a hearing in front of a Judge, and even if you lose, the costs awarded against you are likely to be somewhat less than the PPC is currently demanding.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    And they will have had to pay someone to turn up, reducing their income further

Yes, sorry, your lack of planning doesnt make this our emergency.

Post 2, get a defence from tehir, tailor it to fit, post it here and we will see what we can do.

YOU MUST include that they have filed FOUR SEPERATE CLAIMS (give every claim number in every defence, as you need to file four defences in total) when it should clearly have ben one clai, as the same essential facts are under dispute. You ask the claim to strike out (claims 2 - 4) as aan abuse of process, or alternatively to combine them into one hearing. This avoids wastign the courts and defendants time defending a case 4 times over.
  • GolfR12
    Options
    Hi,

I completely appreciate that. I would not expect the advisors to go out of the way for me but any help I do get would be highly appreciated. If anyone wants to make a quick £100 for help with a drafted response I would definitely rather pay that to you then pay £250 x 4 to the scum Parking companies lol

I will try to draft some sort of half decent response this evening
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 April 2018 at 1:05PM
    Options
    GolfR12 wrote: »
    If anyone wants to make a quick £100 for help with a drafted response I would definitely rather pay that to you then pay £250 x 4 to the scum Parking companies lol
    Having made that offer, please be aware that it is entirely possible that anyone who sends you a private message may not have the same objective as you.

It is a well know fact that the private parking companies scour forums like this and the opportunity to get an extra £100 may be enough for them to compose a rubbish defence for you.

Be careful.

If tomorrow is 35 days from the date of issue of the claim form, then you actually have until 4pm on Monday to file a Defence.
    Looks like a busy weekend for you.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Regards your offer

Take great care over replying to any messages you now get.

We do have lurkers here who are not who they seem to be.
  • GolfR12
    Options
    Apologies, I rescind the offer.

I will try my best to draft a half decent defence this evening and post it on this thread for critique.
  • GolfR12
    Options
    /showthread.php?p=72977032#post72977032

Should I use the above template? Unfortunately, I really have no clue where to start or what I am doing.

Please insert the above after moneysupermarket dot com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport