Credit Card Fraud help/advice

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    It wasn't your wife who ordered the Juice was it?
    You need to accept some sort of responsibility for not checking your statements or even your online banking for over 6 months. You are supposed to notify fraud as soon as you realise it has taken place. By not checking your statements or the account for 6 months you have behaved irresponsibly. If they have taken the amount you say over 6 months, this is not a small amount going out every month. It is difficult to comprehend how you could have failed to notice it.
    It is also a very strange fraud. This juice must be being regularly sent to an address somewhere. A fraudster would not have expected you to allow the situation to continue for so long.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    my wife (shared account)
    It's your account. Your wife is merely authorised to transact on it. You are liable for payment. You can see why Ben has asked the question above.
  • No it was definitely not my wife. Yeah I feel a bit foolish as I haven't checked my statement thoroughly enough. More a mere glance for any large payments and given the majority of payments I use my card for is for more than what was being taken monthly I have simply failed to register it. No matter the outcome I will know that I need to study my statement alot more closely. I'm not trying to duck responsibility or call foul of the cc company or anything like that, just trying to find out if there is a way I can get all of the fraudulent payments back, instead of just 3 months of it
  • newuser86
    newuser86 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would contact juice plus and ask whether any products were sent out and at least find out what the payment was for and to whom the items were sent. Importantly how it was originally set up. As others have said it may be that you/your wife has accidentally signed up to something
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Wilsonb86 wrote: »
    No it was definitely not my wife. Yeah I feel a bit foolish as I haven't checked my statement thoroughly enough. More a mere glance for any large payments and given the majority of payments I use my card for is for more than what was being taken monthly I have simply failed to register it. No matter the outcome I will know that I need to study my statement alot more closely. I'm not trying to duck responsibility or call foul of the cc company or anything like that, just trying to find out if there is a way I can get all of the fraudulent payments back, instead of just 3 months of it

I'm still convinced the Consumer Credit Act gives you protection being denied by the three month rule in the T&C.

Law beats rules.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Looking at the Juiceplus website it appears that when ordering the options to spread the cost of the item over 4 months and a 4 monthly frequency repeat order are pre-selected. This explains why a payment is being taken every month.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I'm still convinced the Consumer Credit Act gives you protection being denied by the three month rule in the T&C.

Law beats rules.
    I was thinking that but from the Juice Plus perspective, goods were ordered and delivered. This then would become a case of fraud.

It remains unclear why the cc company paid out a part refund if fraud was not clear. If fraud is clear then the police would need to be involved.

The plot does now appear to be thickening.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite

Law beats rules.

Absolutely. This 3 month thing is all a nonsense. Perhaps the CC aren't really treating it as fraud/disputed transaction.

I wouldn't be talking to Juiceplus (or the police*) or whoever. I would simply stick to my guns and deal with the CC. These are unauthorised transactions. Escalate as necessary. It is for the CC to prove they were authorised else they must be refunded.

It is one of the many pitfalls of DD that people end up not checking statements. But that's beside the point.

OF COURSE, the OP must be absolutely certain that he or the wife didn't inadvertantly authorised these amounts.

(* because it's been established that the proper victim is the CC, not the cardholder. Of course I would cooperate with the police if they make contact. Frankly zero chance the police would get involved.)
  • Absolutely. This 3 month thing is all a nonsense. Perhaps the CC aren't really treating it as fraud/disputed transaction.

I wouldn't be talking to Juiceplus (or the police*) or whoever. I would simply stick to my guns and deal with the CC. These are unauthorised transactions. Escalate as necessary. It is for the CC to prove they were authorised else they must be refunded.

It is one of the many pitfalls of DD that people end up not checking statements. But that's beside the point.

OF COURSE, the OP must be absolutely certain that he or the wife didn't inadvertantly authorised these amounts.

(* because it's been established that the proper victim is the CC, not the cardholder. Of course I would cooperate with the police if they make contact. Frankly zero chance the police would get involved.)

no theres no chance we had authorised it, we had never heard of this company before and this kind of service is something we have never taken part in, even with a similar company.

im currently away from home, but due back next week. so i will contact the cc company and dispute the fact im only getting 3 months refunded. i will complain or take it to the next level if required and failing that i will take the matter to the FOS and see what they think and if they believe that my complaint is upheld. I appreciate all the advice i had recieved on here as its given me some areas to follow up. so thanks everyone!:T
  • newuser86
    newuser86 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Absolutely. This 3 month thing is all a nonsense. Perhaps the CC aren't really treating it as fraud/disputed transaction.

My first thought would always to contact the company who authorised a sale/took the money unless it was an extremely dodgy website. They could either provide a lot more detail about the charges or even a refund. There is no harm in contacting them to get more insight which in turn could assist your claim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure