policy change by ebay ?

soolin
soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I know this is something we re hash over and over, but I'm wondering if there has been a subtle policy change by ebay recently?

I belong to a number of forums and in the past people selling 'privately' whilst obviously running a business seemed to get caught after a while, it wasn't uncommon to see lots of threads about this when ebay had a cull of wrongly registered sellers. other people have now noticed that these threads have now stopped, I did wonder if people don't bother complaining on forums- but that doesn't seem to be the case. I am aware of a considerable number of proper businesses, with premises and staff that are successfully trading on ebay with a business name, but using private accounts and therefore getting 100 free listings a day. In fact there was a discussion from some established sellers who were actually considering opening private accounts to shift some of their stock across to on the basis of several strange telephone conversations with ebay who seemed to suggest this was acceptable. The only criteria remains the fact that HMRC must still take a cut, but these sellers are suggesting they will continue to make full returns to HMRC but just make use of the free 100 a day listings.

I'm a naturally nervous person and will continue with my business account, unless ebay confirm to me that using a private account, whilst notifying HMRC via self assessment, is acceptable. I just wonder if anyone on here has come across any of this odd advice from ebay about using a private account?

Incidentally there is this thread which discusses it already, but I thought a separate thread on here where no one gets accused of anything may be interesting.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5815214&highlight=ebay
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• I know nobody I've reported for this in the past five years has ever changed to a registered business. Do they still get to claim their VAT back on eBay fees, or are they just paying more?
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else :rotfl:
  • TKPeters
    TKPeters Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    There was a thread on the PS Forum where a Pink stated that you could have a Business or Private account depending on which model worked for you & eBay wasn't bothered which model you used.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I know nobody I've reported for this in the past five years has ever changed to a registered business. Do they still get to claim their VAT back on eBay fees, or are they just paying more?

VAT is only a feature for VAT registered sellers and most of the ones I am aware of are not registered. The benefit of using a private account is of course the insertion fees, as a business I pay for all my listings , most via my shop which I pay for, and I get no benefit from VAT as I am not VAT registered. I gave up reporting unregistered businesses years ago as there seemed to be no point.
    TKPeters wrote: »
    There was a thread on the PS Forum where a Pink stated that you could have a Business or Private account depending on which model worked for you & eBay wasn't bothered which model you used.

That seems to be what a lot of the sellers are saying, many have it in black and white from eBay live chat that as long as they offer returns and declare to HMRC a private account is OK.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There are not just tax implications.

I wonder if all of the UK businesses that are operating from private accounts are acting in accordance with their obligations under what is commonly known as distance selling regulations

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/safetycentre/rights.html

part of which includes

Business sellers
    Under the Regulations, business sellers are legally required not to falsely represent themselves as consumers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure