Currys won't repair 2 month old washing machine except on Wednesdays

Options
I bought a brand new Logik washing machine from Currys on 10th Feb 2018. It broke down with an error message. I phoned Curry's whose repair department said they only do repairs in my area on a Wednesday. I can not take time off work but explained I could arrange for someone to be at the house on a Friday.but they said it had to be a Wednesday. I phoned their customer service department who were rude and talked over me basically saying that they have offered a repair on a Wednesday and I take it or leave it. Surely this is not right. Any advice please?

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Post on their social media page?
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Leave it, get a refund and buy the washing machine elsewhere.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Leave it, get a refund and buy the washing machine elsewhere.

The OP is outside of the 30 day short term right of rejection period so getting a refund may well prove far harder than getting the appliance repaired.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Send them a letter before action reminding them that any repair or replacement should be carried out within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience. That you have tried to be reasonable by offering alternative days you could have someone wait in but they have refused so you're giving them one further opportunity to repair/replace in line with your consumer rights and if a satisfactory resolution is not forthcoming within x period (I'd say 14 days), you will be getting it repaired yourself elsewhere and then begin legal proceedings against them for the cost of the repair plus any and all reasonable losses you have suffered as a result of their breach of contract.

This is assuming you're in a job and circumstances where you really can't take time off, can't get a family member round to sit in etc. In other words, that you're not being needlessly awkward just because you feel you shouldn't have to.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • CoolHotCold
    CoolHotCold Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I feel there is more to this then just, not doing it on wednesdays. Must be something to do with the area youre in. Is it very remote?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I feel there is more to this then just, not doing it on wednesdays. Must be something to do with the area youre in. Is it very remote?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, but the OP already seems to have answered that question.
    Croissant wrote: »
    I phoned Curry's whose repair department said they only do repairs in my area on a Wednesday
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, but the OP already seems to have answered that question.

It hasn't really been answered, them only serving an area on a particular day could be because it's on a Shetland isle where they don't have enough customers to warrant going there more than once a week, or because it's in the centre of London where they have so many customers they break it down into zones and serve each zone of a different day of the week.
  • Croissant
    Croissant Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. I posted on TrustPIlot and Curry's facebook page and had a response within the hour. Curry's accepted it was not reasonable not providing a selection of dates. (No I don't live in a remote area) and are arranging for a better response or new washing machine.

Thank you
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for coming back and updating us. I was wondering myself if you were on the Isle of Wight or something :) (my parents are and often have these sorts of issues).
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    I'll never understand why people buy from places like Currys.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure