The Debt Free Roll Of Honour

Comments

• Emmala
    Emmala Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Today I have checked all the accounts and am so relieved to finally be able to say we are debt free! It’s been an interesting few years, we had a small amount of debt, then DH was made redundant (contracted role so no pay out) and was out of work for nearly two years. Three years after finding a new job, we are finally ‘straight’ again.

Lightbulb moment...less of a moment, but when DH got another job in May 2015 we knew we had to clear the decks and knuckle down to it

Debts at their highest...just under £20,000

Debt free date...March 2018

Boards that helped me...Old Style, DFW diaries, DFW challenges

Top tip...be brave, open the post, read the emails! You can’t hide from debt, you have to take a deep breath and know exactly what your money is doing no matter how bad it is. Even if it’s bad, knowing the figures helps put you in control of your money.

It’s a funny feeling knowing that next month we haven’t got to pay any money to credit cards, and although the balances are showing as zero, I have a niggling feeling that somehow that can’t be right, and that I must have forgotten one or something. I haven’t, but having juggled six or seven cards at one point, I can’t quite believe that now I haven’t got any to juggle at all. Thanks MSE for being here, for not judging and for providing so much help and support.
  • List_Maker
    List_Maker Posts: 68 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 8 March 2018 at 1:48PM
    Lightbulb moment: March 2013

Debts at highest: £9,401.10

Debt-Free Date: July 2016

Pearl of wisdom: Be honest with yourself and others around you. Don't be scared of saying NO to friends, emails, extras etc.

Boards that helped me:Reclaiming Money back from Various Payday Lenders - Having fully paid off my DMP I had no idea where this would lead...... so glad I took the plunge. Basically received the balance of my DMP back through challenging PDL affordability.
  • Paid off my loan for the double-glazing awhile back and have now just paid off my mortgage.

All debt free :)
  • MrsLWW
    MrsLWW Posts: 86 Forumite
    DEBT FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :j

a. The date of your lightbulb moment

There were a few flickerings, but the light came on and stayed on 27/02/2017 - when I joined MSE!

b. Debts at their highest

£30,000 :eek::eek:, although my bright LBM wasn't until later, when we were round about the £21,000 mark

c. Debt-Free Date

12/02/2018 :bdaycake:

d. Your one pearl of wisdom.

Budget for everything REALISTICALLY. There is no point drawing up a really tight budget cutting out on things that you are going to spend on anyway - if you spend £50 a month on going out, but kid yourself on you won't go out and end up blowing your budget anyway then you will feel like you have failed and are more likely to fall back into bad habits.Use the Statement Of Affairs, ask for help on the Debt Free Wannabe page (although don't be disheartened when others poke holes in your budget - the hole poker might not think budgeting for a night out is something you should be doing but if it's something you know you won't do without then it's justified, you might not agree with them budgeting for a 20-a-day habit, but it's something they know they are going to spend on.

However, becoming debt free does require will power - we stopped taking finance out on cars, we each bought a car for under £1000 - was it annoying seeing other people tool about in flash cars? Yes. But I told myself and still tell myself every day, I OWN my car outright - if something seriously went wrong with my car tomorrow, I would be less worried than someone who still owes £7k on theirs. Remember why you are making the sacrifice!

Shop about - if you buy something regularly then shop about for it - I regularly go online to find where I can buy my e-liquid cheaper. If I'm making a big purchase like white goods, I google the model number and look in google shopping to see who has it cheaper. When it comes to make up I always ask for boots vouchers for Christmas and Birthdays so I can get the stuff I really want for less. My husband uses stick deodorants - so I googled them and now instead of spending £3.49 each on them in tesco, I get them in bulk for £1.10 each.

I always ask for the prescription from my vets then order pet medications on line for at least 60% discount.

I love Farmfoods, Poundshops (be careful though, sometimes it's cheaper elsewhere (£1 for bleach in the pound shop V 0.39p in Home Bargains), B&M, Aldi, Homebargains etc., I literally grudge paying Tesco/ASDA etc.

f. Which forum threads helped you

Reading the Debt Free Wannabe forum always helped, along with the Old School Money Saving.

g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5626473

Face up, take action, allow setbacks and keep at it!!!!!!!!! Good luck everyone, and well done all those in the DF Club!!! :T:T:T
    Debt peak approx £30,000 :eek: now debt free!!! :j
    My parents always said "If you can't afford it cash, you can't afford it!" so true!.... mind you, turns out we can't afford much lol :rotfl:
  • Lightbulb moment: 8th January 2018 ( joont debt balance was at £6,657)

Debts at highest: £14,800 (joint debt with DH)

Debt-Free Date: 20th March 2018

Pearl of wisdom: Find out how much you owe to the penny, set a budget and stick to it.

Boards that helped me: Debt free wanna be challenges - pay your debts off by Xmas 2018 & Marching to a different beat.

Being debt free is the most incredible feeling. Once we had the lightbult moment everything clicked into place and we made it our mission to clear the debts. We now have lots of piggybank savings accounts and an emergency fund x
    I am now debt free:T - 20/03/18. Whatever your situation - just.keep.going!
    [STRIKE][/STRIKE][STRIKE][/STRIKE]EF £1000/£1000 goal
    [STRIKE][/STRIKE][STRIKE][/STRIKE]CHILDCARE Savings goal £600/£600
    EF 3 month goal £2,000/£3,500
    HOUSE DEPOSIT £0/£20,000
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    a. The date of your lightbulb moment: March 2015
    b. Debts at their highest: £25,000
    c. Debt-Free Date: Mar 2018
    d. Pearl of wisdom: Leave some money in your budget to do enjoyable things if you can. Whilst it may add on a couple of months to your DFD it doesn't then feel such a hassle for years whilst you are paying it down.

First time I have been debt free since 1999, although I only recently started to deal with it. I have set up a new account with a standing order of £350 going straight into it for savings. This is less than what I have been paying on my debt payments so its a win-win, I have an instant savings pot of £350 a month, and I also have a spare £100 or so each month than I had before to be frivolous with.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Cant wait for two lovely MSE'ers who became debt free yesterday to post on this thread :grin:
    I love our MSE community and the support we give each other.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 24 March 2018 at 11:29PM
    I had my lightbulb moment in 2011 when I joined the forum. My light was on but I could not work out a way to repay my debt as I was self employed, not earning enough and I could not find work. At that time my debt was £12,000. I came back with a new diary in January 2016 and the lightbulb was even brighter and my debt was £24,822. I began F/T work in March 2016 and stepped up my repayments. That was the highest debt figure I had ever had in my life (apart from my mortgage) and I was scared but also highly motivated.

I began paying £1,000 a month on average. It was a lot but I knew i would run out of steam if I took the scenic route. There was just me to please so I decided to tough it out and do it fast.

My debt free date was December 2017. I reset this date to March 2018 and became debt free on 23/03/2018

My advice is to get a second job (if you are able to) this helped immensely and it does not have to be forever. I got miserable because I was cutting expenses too much and in the end I changed that by increasing income instead.

The biggest drain on my spending was food! If that is you, especially if you work, take packup lunches and get a flask. Organise your food shop. Don't run into a stupidmarket after work it will cost you dear. To get debt free you have to get organised. Disorganisation costs you money. Always.

I would also say be honest with yourself. Know who you are and what you need to succeed. Be prepared to set targets but be flexible especially if you are in for the foreseeable. I was a bit too hardcore and the journey was tougher than it needed to be sometimes. It helped that people posted to remind me to have a treat or pay less to debt for a month or two.

I loved the debt free and mortgage free diaries. I got so much support and guidance and advice. I will be forever grateful to the community there.

I am now debt and mortgage free and looking forward to making new positive changes in my life.

My diary is in the debt free diaries and is called Dancing in the Rain. I am DIA and I am debt and mortgage free :D
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    beanielou wrote: »
    Cant wait for two lovely MSE'ers who became debt free yesterday to post on this thread :grin:
    I love our MSE community and the support we give each other.
    Hope I am not being presumptuous but you might be talking about me? Anyway you prompted me so I have done it now :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Hope I am not being presumptuous but you might be talking about me? Anyway you prompted me so I have done it now :)

Yes, I was :)

You & the lovely Millan :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback