PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Homeswapping

Options
2»

Comments

• sjp1966
    sjp1966 Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You will get normal repairs done with a mutual exhange.

However, when you initially accept the property, you accept the condition the house is in. For example, the kitchen is shoddy and you cannot ask for a new one (we once did a mutual exhange for a house with no kitchen when we swapped and had to suck it up), so we fitted a basic kitchen ourselves.

Unfortunately you may also take on the other person's tenancy, so if you are an assured tenant, you will have to surrender that if the person you are exhanging with has a fixed term.
    Lots of homework to do and questions to ask.

Well out of HA tenancies now, when I look back I realise how lucky we were...

The tenancy is the one thing I am aware of, so we are looking for assured/secure tenancies as that is what we have.
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    sjp1966 wrote: »
    How can I check for bad neighbours and ASB, can I call the local council and/or police to find out.

You can call. They might not tell you due to data protection though. Best thing to do is visit the place - a lot. I went at all different times of the day (and night). I went at midnight and again at 6am. After schools kick out. Every day of the week especially the weekends. Didn't go in the house, but checked out the local area; listening for ASB, loud parties etc.

Also, the state of a road can tell you a lot. Is it clean? Is there fly tipping or graffiti? Are the fences in good condition? What do the fronts of the houses look like?Are they well maintained? Is there litter in the street? Cars in pieces? You could even speak to local shop owners. All this info builds a picture.
  • sjp1966
    sjp1966 Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can call. They might not tell you due to data protection though. Best thing to do is visit the place - a lot. I went at all different times of the day (and night). I went at midnight and again at 6am. After schools kick out. Every day of the week especially the weekends. Didn't go in the house, but checked out the local area; listening for ASB, loud parties etc.

Also, the state of a road can tell you a lot. Is it clean? Is there fly tipping or graffiti? Are the fences in good condition? What do the fronts of the houses look like?Are they well maintained? Is there litter in the street? Cars in pieces? You could even speak to local shop owners. All this info builds a picture.

Cool, thanks for the tips
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    watched a tv documentary about this a few years ago. Think people had to pay for an electrical safety check or something before they could swap their own house. Think it was the BBC Swap my Council house show, it can be seen on youtube but i don't want to watch it again to check sorry
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    watched a tv documentary about this a few years ago. Think people had to pay for an electrical safety check or something before they could swap their own house. Think it was the BBC Swap my Council house show, it can be seen on youtube but i don't want to watch it again to check sorry

No the gas and elec checks are free. The HA/Council carry them out. They also do an inspection of each home intending to swap. They can demand the current tenant put right any damage or improvements, for example, the person I swapped with had removed the kitchen door and frame. They had to reinstate it before the HA would allow the swap to take place.
  • JamesTP
    JamesTP Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    The idea that you are swapping tenancies is a myth. You are transferring tenure of property which in legal terms is very different. I suggest you speak to an expert to get confirmation because otherwise you will be miss lead.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Again another thread resurfaced after a long time ...same poster today is trawling through all the old stuff and making comment.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills