PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I ain't gonna lie - if I saw a designer name that fit at the right price I would have to think hard about leaving it on the rail. Even if I know I may never wear it :o

Seems I'm a sucker for snake oil after all :(
    If I didn't like the fabric or the fabric pattern or the style, I'd leave it on the rail.
    Labels - for their name only - really are not important to me. :)
    If I found a fabulous dress in great fabric in a style that suited me and it was a (for example) Stella McCartney, I'd buy it and be happy about my bargain.
    But more so for the fabric and style than the name sewn in the back.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I ain't gonna lie - if I saw a designer name that fit at the right price I would have to think hard about leaving it on the rail. Even if I know I may never wear it :o

Seems I'm a sucker for snake oil after all :(

Me too! I have several items that I purchased knowing that, even tho I love 'em, I am unlikely to wear 'em. It gives me pleasure just looking at them and knowing I own them however daft that may be. For e.g. Ages ago I bought a pair of b/n electric blue, strappy, impossibly high evening shoes complete with diamante trim supposedly by Louboutin but probably fakes. I just luurve them and have them displayed on a shelf in my bedroom!

Pollycat wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think labels are that important.

Like GreyQueen has said previously, I'm a 'fabric feeler'.
    It's that - and the pattern of an item - that will stop me long enough to have a second look.
    It's only then that I'll have a look to see what brand it is.
    If it was a Balenciaga or a Zandra Rhodes :rotfl:, it wouldn't get a second look from me if it didn't feel nice and the fabric pattern didn't appeal.
    And I don't buy for investment, I buy for the 'ooooh, I like that and it will look great with....' feeling.

So I think we must conclude that we have very different ideas about charity shopping and what constitutes a good buy and we have different reasons for shopping in second-hand shops .....

I have so many cogs whirring in my brain when deciding on a purchase in a charity shop......it's a wonder I don't explode :D

Style, colour, make, quality of fabric, pattern (does it match), good quality finish, new or little wear, no bobbling, hem/sleeve/leg length, fit (especially trousers...no bootleg, wide leg, super skinny, low rise), no alterations by previous owner.....:o
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    I just luurve them and have them displayed on a shelf in my bedroom!
    So its not just me then! On proud display on my tailor's dummy in my dressing room is something very similar to this, heavily sequinned rather than lace:

e565c3a3d76bc2882d61c36cc8b9d3a0.jpg

I won't say how[STRIKE] little[/STRIKE] much I bought it for but I've had pricier cups of coffee :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    Me too! I have several items that I purchased knowing that, even tho I love 'em, I am unlikely to wear 'em. It gives me pleasure just looking at them and knowing I own them however daft that may be. For e.g. Ages ago I bought a pair of b/n electric blue, strappy, impossibly high evening shoes complete with diamante trim supposedly by Louboutin but probably fakes. I just luurve them and have them displayed on a shelf in my bedroom!

I have so many cogs whirring in my brain when deciding on a purchase in a charity shop......it's a wonder I don't explode :D

Style, colour, make, quality of fabric, pattern (does it match), good quality finish, new or little wear, no bobbling, hem/sleeve/leg length, fit (especially trousers...no bootleg, wide leg, super skinny, low rise), no alterations by previous owner.....:o
    Mis-matched stripes or tartan set my teeth on edge.
    It's something that really jumps out at me.
    Maybe it's the dressmaker in me. :)
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Pollycat I have one of those TB boxes too - mine houses my epilator & its plug & cable :)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Dark_Star
    Dark_Star Posts: 618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Visited a small Oxfam on Friday...books on sale at 3 for 2 & reasonable at around 50p upwards anyway. Splurged £1.50 on 3 books & then the lady on the till insisted on creasing the cheapest book open & WRITING in pencil "free in sale" inside the cover.

I shall be rubbing that out but have never encountered such wanton desecration of a book before :mad:

AGHAGHAGHAGHAGHGHAGHGHAGHAGHGAHGAHGAHGAHG
    Lurking in a galaxy far far away...
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Options
    Some may not consider this a bargain but I got a brand new with label pair of trousers by Boden today. They are from the scope shop that takes boden excess stock and cost me £10 I know that might sound a lot but boden trousers are very expensive and they are brand new
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think labels are that important.

Like GreyQueen has said previously, I'm a 'fabric feeler'.
    It's that - and the pattern of an item - that will stop me long enough to have a second look.
    It's only then that I'll have a look to see what brand it is.
    If it was a Balenciaga or a Zandra Rhodes :rotfl:, it wouldn't get a second look from me if it didn't feel nice and the fabric pattern didn't appeal.
    And I don't buy for investment, I buy for the 'ooooh, I like that and it will look great with....' feeling.

My sis remarked on the fact that I touch a lot of garments - rub them through my fingers) when we're out shopping (proper shops yesterday, rather than charity shops) and it's that that does it for me, not a label.

So I think we must conclude that we have very different ideas about charity shopping and what constitutes a good buy and we have different reasons for shopping in second-hand shops and the prices in my area appear to be cheaper than in yours.

And moving back to the thread topic, I bought a lovely Ted Baker zip-around silky fabric covered box (empty). It was probably originally a toiletries gift set.
    It's 7" x 5" x 3" and a lovely dusky pink with vivid coloured flowers on.
    It was £2.00 from Cancer Research.
    Not 100% sure what I'll use it for - I have a collection of vintage silver brooches so maybe I'll put those in there. But it will look very smart on my dressing table.

I also bought a grey marl top, long enough to cover my bum when wearing leggings.
    It's round-necked, short sleeved and has a trim of half a black zip from the neckline down to the sleeve, sort-of where the armpit is.
    Sounds bizarre but it looks funky (if an 'almost state pensioner' should be looking funky :D).
    No brand but it does have a massive tag on with Turkish writing on and Istanbul contact details so may be a sample.
    £1.00 Air Ambulance.

DigForVictory - another great Denby find. :T

Dolly84 - the quilt sounds lovely. Have you looked at their website? :eek:

I'm like you....a feeler...lol. I feel everything and if I don't like it, it won't get a second look. Went to buy new socks today and OH got annoyed as it took me ages 'cause I didn't like the feel of some of them....lol
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Dark_Star wrote: »
    Visited a small Oxfam on Friday...books on sale at 3 for 2 & reasonable at around 50p upwards anyway. Splurged £1.50 on 3 books & then the lady on the till insisted on creasing the cheapest book open & WRITING in pencil "free in sale" inside the cover.

I shall be rubbing that out but have never encountered such wanton desecration of a book before :mad:

AGHAGHAGHAGHAGHGHAGHGHAGHAGHGAHGAHGAHGAHG
    S'ok.
    I've got it.
    A wax model of said assistant and I'm currently poking needles into her eyes. :eek:
    As you say, not necessary.
    Even if I've bought a 2nd hand book, I still feel it deserves respect.
    bobsa1 wrote: »
    Some may not consider this a bargain but I got a brand new with label pair of trousers by Boden today. They are from the scope shop that takes boden excess stock and cost me £10 I know that might sound a lot but boden trousers are very expensive and they are brand new
    I know Boden is expensive and if the trousers fit and are what you want, £10 is a good price. :)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 March 2018 at 9:59PM
    Options
    Sudden flash of insight into why m'lady mother enjoys messing around with adequately burning candles.

She's Getting Back At folks.

Ulp.

That terrifying notion shoved behind me, new Boden at £10 a pair? Brilliant!
    And as for the finger test, at least it's more acceptable than husband tugging a loose thread & slipping out clutching a lighter. (He has very strong views on wool blends - since wool is largely safe around fires & blends are not.)
    Mind I once spent a happy twenty minutes sorting an entire drum of socks by size - as they were really nice socks, and we had a tiny footed friend. Every under-size-4 pair, I sorted out (& bought), then tidied the rest back into the drum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure