Wimbledon College of Art interview - help

Options

Comments

• chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would ask the people at her college why they hadn!!!8217;t considered one of the best schools of art in the UK - the Mackintosh School in GLASGOW.
  • littleredhen
    littleredhen Posts: 3,280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    chesky wrote: »
    I would ask the people at her college why they hadn!!!8217;t considered one of the best schools of art in the UK - the Mackintosh School in GLASGOW.

Think she has applied to Glasgow too but not sure if its the Mackintosh school of Art though
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry if I've missed it but have you discussed the financial implications of studying in England v studying in Scotland? She'll be racking up an enormous amount of debt if she chooses the former rather than the latter and, if she's offered a place somewhere reputable up there, I would question the wisdom of leaving with over £50k of debt when she could graduate debt free.
  • littleredhen
    Options
    Sorry if I've missed it but have you discussed the financial implications of studying in England v studying in Scotland? She'll be racking up an enormous amount of debt if she chooses the former rather than the latter and, if she's offered a place somewhere reputable up there, I would question the wisdom of leaving with over £50k of debt when she could graduate debt free.

Yes I have talked to her about it, its hard to explain to her in real terms when she is still waiting to hear from two universities in Scotland for interviews, she is very stressed at the moment coping with Art School work and dealing with all the uni applications

• cyantist
    cyantist Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    Have you looked at the sleeper train down? It's obviously more than the normal train but you don't need accommodation in London, it gets in early with plenty of time to get across to Wimbledon.

Doesn't solve the money issue but then there's not going to be any way for her to attend that is free when you live so far away.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 February 2018 at 5:07PM
    Options
    Would it help to break it down in chunks to see where the feasibilty is in each bit?

What time does she need to be there for? If it's a definite no, she can't make it by commuting on the day, then it's either hotel or Auntie's or she can't go.
    ETA - Ignore part of that, I looked through our posts looking for the time you said but forgot to check your initial one (d'oh!). National rail enquiries isn't working for me but I've looked at the first website I've checked (Virgin) and not possible, so unless the earlier suggestion of a sleeper train is an option or alternative ways to travel, then the next step is hotel or Auntie's house.

If hotel is too dear, then is your DD travelling straight to Reading a possibility, eliminating the need for relative to meet her in London?

If finances and timescales mean all this isn't possible then she fails at the first hurdle and can't attend the interview.

If she can attend, then she goes, she might discover she dislikes the place, she might prefer somewhere else or you might look at the finances and practicalities and say it's not possible.

I understand you don't want to set her hopes up by letting her attend a place and fall in love with it, only to says she can't go, but at the minute the situation seems full of 'what ifs'
  • littleredhen
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    Would it help to break it down in chunks to see where the feasibilty is in each bit?

What time does she need to be there for? If it's a definite no, she can't make it by commuting on the day, then it's either hotel or Auntie's or she can't go.

If hotel is too dear, then is your DD travelling straight to Reading a possibility, eliminating the need for relative to meet her in London?

If finances and timescales mean all this isn't possible then she fails at the first hurdle and can't attend the interview.

If she can attend, then she goes, she might discover she dislikes the place, she might prefer somewhere else or you might look at the finances and practicalities and say it's not possible.

I understand you don't want to set her hopes up by letting her attend a place and fall in love with it, only to says she can't go, but at the minute the situation seems full of 'what ifs'

the trains from edinburgh to reading are changing at London, the interview is first thing and even if she could get it changed it would be hard to do, see the uni, have the interview etc - these things tend to be for more or less several hours rather than half hour interview at a set time, as I has thought I could ask her to ask to change the time.

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,073 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

Student debt is only paid back as effectively a tax on income after graduating. If you don't earn enough to pay it all back it is written off. Martin Lewis has written about this on the main site. Please don't fall into the trap of thinking this is a debt in the same way that real debts are a burden.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the trains from edinburgh to reading are changing at London, the interview is first thing and even if she could get it changed it would be hard to do, see the uni, have the interview etc - these things tend to be for more or less several hours rather than half hour interview at a set time, as I has thought I could ask her to ask to change the time.
    No, that's not what I meant. You said bil would have to meet her in London the day before (costing him the travel fayre) to meet her. Wouldn't it be possible for your DD to travel to Reading by herself the day before?
    My b-i-l (the one married to my sister who lives in Reading )has offered to go with her but I am thinking he would also have to travel into London the day before to meet her so adding to the cost as well as me paying for him to go with her on the day.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,073 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The connections between King's Cross and Paddington are very easy ones, they're more like hopping on a bus for a couple of stops than wandering miles.

Train from Reading - Paddington.
    District Line from Paddington to Wimbledon.
    15 Minute walk from the station. If she can't handle the walking bit, hop onto a tram to Dundonald Road and it's about 4 minutes away.

Easy.

[STRIKE]Download the Rail app, download the bus times app, make sure she's got enough data to use both, plus the TFL journey planner (website, not app) and Google maps,[/STRIKE] make sure she has a payment card with contactless for the transport, print the travel instructions out and she's sorted. If she is really suffering by the time she gets to Wimbledon Station, there's a black cab rank out the front and it won't take long to get there (so won't be too expensive). Should take just over a hour and a quarter from getting on the train at Reading.

It's also not that expensive for a second person to go along with her from Reading - cheaper than a hotel.

Wimbledon isn't central London. A lot of it is very quiet, posh and leafy outside two weeks in the summer, where it's busy, posh and leafy but filled with weird people who want to watch tennis.

PS - both mine are at Art School - the most floaty one did so well, she decided she wasn't coming back to her home town and is very happy where she is.

This was the one who couldn't catch a bus on her own until the day she went to Uni.

The ONLY app you need for travel within greater London is citymapper. It covers train, tube, bus, tram as well as walking. It will even buzz you when it is time to get off the bus. Best of all it is accurate and tracks in real time, so updates as you go.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure