My 5 year plan

Comments

• fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Thanks MeenaM and JoJoC for dropping by!

I'm also going to log my weight loss diary here as it should go hand in hand with the eating/meal plan (and money saving!).

On boxing day I was 17st 8lbs. I'd been up to that weight before, about 2 years ago, and made all the usual promises to myself that it wouldn't happen again. I've always struggled with my weight (hence being called fat Rab for most of my life) but this is the year everything is going to change.

Been cutting down the booze since October, have cut down the take-aways and snacking since December, saving money and losing weight!

So stepping on the scales this week I was 17st 2lbs. Hopefully break into the 16's by next weekend. I want to be 14st or under and debt free!
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Great goals Rab - I think the two do go hand in hand actually. Eat well, save money on takeaways... sounds simple! My husband and I are on a health kick too, and not just because it's January :) He lost 13lb in his first week of eating well and exercising more. I don't have a lot to lose as such but after 2 kids I'd like to see some physique improvement :)

I actually cringe at how much money we were spending on convenience food - it's by no means cheap to eat healthily but if cooking good meals from scratch and making good choices, it doesn't need to break the bank.

Glad to see your positivity and motivation - hope it's infectious :)
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • Another one here in the waiting for payday slump! Really I'm waiting for March payday as will see a wage increase that will mean I can really start tackling everything properly, rather than just gritting my teeth and existing without making any proper progress. Good luck, have subscribed :D
    Paid - 7095/26218 - Total
  • fatrab
    edited 12 January 2018 at 5:18PM
    JoJoC wrote: »
    I actually cringe at how much money we were spending on convenience food

I kept note of what we spent one weekend last year and it was an eye watering £125 on eating out/pub, take aways and junk food.

We cut down the drinking, but the takeaways just became a habit. I was having a breakfast (£6.95 fry up) every morning Mon-Fri, plus a kebab or Chinese meal most nights during the week.

We stopped all that in late Oct/ early Nov. So when I noticed there was still a deficit in what I should have left every month compared to what I actually had, I knew something was still wrong.

Now have a much clearer head, I can see where my money goes and I know others have been in much, much worse situations than me and made it out the other end.

• Storm89
    Storm89 Posts: 592 Forumite
    I'm joining you all with the weight loss/health kick too. I need to lose a stone and husband needs to lose 3 stone - first week in I lost 2lb and he lost 3lb. Good luck everyone :D
  • fatrab
    edited 13 January 2018 at 10:31AM
    I'm targeting a pound of weight loss per week on average. 52lbs off by Xmas 2018!

Best of luck to you all with the health and financial goals!

We can do this!

• fatrab
    edited 15 January 2018 at 9:31AM
    Not much to report following the weekend, I knew Saturday and Sunday would be spend days after managing to turn Friday into a NSD but I have all my food bought and planned up until Thursday so should be a cheap week from now until I get home. Fell off the wagon slightly yesterday as landlord "forced" me to have a pint and a catch up with him. £11 spent but in fairness they're reducing my rent by £50/month so I can't really complain.

I'm driving 170 miles on Thursday (heading home) and then returning on Sunday or Monday so a good opportunity to try and drive as economically as possible and save fuel/money.

Next weigh in will be on Friday morning so will see how the eating plan is coming along, I hope to be under 17st.

Was supposed to be going to a game this Saturday but unless the magic money fairy arrives with a big bag of gold coins I won't be attending. I have a friend who travels up from north Wales for the occasional match and I like to make the effort whenever I know he's coming up, but it'll be £22 for ticket plus travel plus a pie plus a pint or 2. Can easily kiss goodbye to £50 so that won't be happening.

Have new microwave to buy this week, spotted a Russell Hobbs on offer for £40 so assuming they're still available on Friday I'll be forking out for that this week.

Have a good week and I'll post anything as and when it happens.

Thanks for taking the time to keep up to speed with my diary :)

• Storm89
    Storm89 Posts: 592 Forumite
    Hi fatrab good luck with the weightloss. I only have 5lb to go until my target weight but hubby is a very similar weight to you and wants to be 13 stone by the end of the year . Not going to the match will save you £ and lb really if you're not consuming pints and pies . It must be annoying not being able to go though :(
    Have a good week x
  • fatrab
    Storm89 wrote: »
    Hi fatrab good luck with the weightloss. I only have 5lb to go until my target weight but hubby is a very similar weight to you and wants to be 13 stone by the end of the year .
    Well done you! I'm sure you'll shift the rest within a few weeks if you put your mind to it. I'd like to be 14st or under so yes, your husband and I have very similar goals and targets.

Once I've kicked my snacking habit I'm going to focus on lowering my carb intake. This worked for me in the past but will need to change my eating habits and patterns permanently if I'm going to keep the weight off this time.

Lowest I've been since 2003 was 14st 3lbs so that's what I've got to beat this time!

• fatrab
    Coasting along nicely today, another NSD and a little bit of time to reflect on my state of affairs.

Assuming I get my tax rebate by May (assuming both P60's are received in a timely manner) and I do have the amount of surplus that I should have, I should be paying my loan off by June! That's a whole 6 months sooner than I planned.

By the look of things as they stand I'll pay HMRC on the 25th which will use all of this month's surplus. It'll be another 4 weeks before I clear the MBNA debt and cancel the card. Then March, April and May's surplus added to my tax rebate should be over £6k.

Mrs fatrab is going back to work on 2nd April following maternity leave so will start contributing to the bills again from the end of April. As it stands just now I pay everything to do with running the house while she buys groceries, baby necessities, dog food etc.

3 months hiccup-free would be lovely please, but does it ever work out that way?

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport