We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Car damage - can I claim against the council?

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,109 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I'd be surprised at a flood halfway up a hill.

I wouldn't be. We have a couple of points near me where there's a dip in the road on a hill and it often floods due to the fact the fields also rise up at the side of the dip so the water gets funnelled there.
  • grahamgoo
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    It'll be covered. It's no different to driving into any other stationary object.

from the Admiral website (as an example)...

Does car insurance cover flood damage?
    If you have a fully comprehensive policy you may be able to claim for damage to your vehicle as a result of a flood as long as you’ve taken every precaution to safeguard your car. If you take a risk and drive your car into a flood, you may not be covered for any damage caused.
    Most insurers put flood damage into two categories – avoidable flood damage and unavoidable flood damage. Avoidable damage could be classed as someone driving into flood water – you never know how deep it is.
    Six inches of water is enough to reach the bottom of most cars causing potential loss of control and stalling. Cars can float in just 12ins of water while 2ft of water is enough to drag away most cars.
    Unavoidable flood damage could be classed as your car getting damaged by floods when it’s parked at its usual spot – such as at home.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    By the OP's own account (post #7) he saw the flood water, but carried on regardless.

Which part of my post (if any) do you consider to be sarcastic?
    I was thinking of post #6 (not yours).

I do agree that driving into flood water is foolish, it is not necessarily foolish to not recognise that it was flood water in the first place - which is the distinction obvious in the first post - the driver simply did not recognise that they were driving into a flood in the dark on what I am guessing was an unfamiliar road, and while there might have been clues, if someone is not considering the possibility that the road was deeply flooded, then they would not look for them. A few inches of snow does not suggest to me that flooding was inevitable as it thawed.

The reality I see is that on a daily basis, most drivers don't seem able to drive down a piece of motorway between two dotted lines, so expecting the typical driver to be using a good level of observation skills is expecting something that simply does not happen.

What is the level of competence that the insurers should expect? It is clearly somewhere less than as a reasonably competent driver considered in law, as they happily insure people driving to that standard all the time and pay out for complete incompetence on a daily basis.

It is entirely unsurprising that a driver can go down a road and be completely surprised by standing water, and certainly if there is no other flood water around simply not consider that the water might be so deep as to be impassible (or alternatively, be driving at a speed where stopping in time was not possible because they hadn't considered that there could be the equivalent of a brick wall across the road).

That is not to say that it was not careless or avoidable, but it is entirely understandable for people to do it. People drive through puddles on the road day in and day out without any consideration to what might be hidden.

As others have said, it would be interesting to have the location to understand what it was about the location that caused it to flood and it would also be interesting to know if this was an isolated incidence, so the driver would not have had it on their radar to consider.

I would expect that the insurers would have to show deliberate negligence - the deliberate driving through an obviously flooded road - to avoid paying out. I would expect insurers to pay out for the drivers who overtake me on my cycle on a blind bend every day even though it is deliberately negligent driving, so I cannot see that this would be any different, and I would expect the insurance ombudsman to take a similar view.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    grahamgoo wrote: »
    from the Admiral website (as an example)...

The Ryanair of insurers...
    Avoidable damage could be classed as someone driving into flood water

Unavoidable flood damage could be classed as your car getting damaged by floods when it’s parked at its usual spot – such as at home.
    Now substitute "flood"/"flood water" for "tree".
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,319 Forumite
    Options
    No
    The Ryanair of insurers...

Now substitute "flood"/"flood water" for "tree".

Don't you mean 'substitute "tree" for "flood"/"flood water"?
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Or "with "tree""

YKWIM...
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,319 Forumite
    Options
    No
    Or "with "tree""

YKWIM...

IKWYM, but it's not English, in spite of what football writers and commentators may think.
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You mean here? https://goo.gl/maps/apWAdwTSLn52

There's a rather unsubtle clue as to the dip there - just look at the way the pavement is level, and the retaining walls dip down. And that's without thinking "Oooh, I bet the road dips down to go under that railway line"

At 30mph, with a junction and a bend, you've got plenty of time to twig that.

Interesting that particular site has been used as an example. I use it daily but with care. It no longer floods as badly as it used to but has cracked all the way across the bottom. I suspect a sink hole is forming under the road. Wonder if I will be the unlucky driver who finally breaks through the weak surface.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You mean here? https://goo.gl/maps/apWAdwTSLn52

There's a rather unsubtle clue as to the dip there - just look at the way the pavement is level, and the retaining walls dip down. And that's without thinking "Oooh, I bet the road dips down to go under that railway line"

At 30mph, with a junction and a bend, you've got plenty of time to twig that.

Now you imagine it is dark, and it is flooded to the level just below the railings. You have not driven that road before. What would you see?

Railway bridges are classic places for people getting "surprised". A thinking driver would probably be suspicious simply by being familiar that roads often dive under bridges, but a less thinking driver might look at the railings as a clue that the road was level and decide that as the first few feet were ok that they could get through. The surface and surrounds give no clue as to the depth (hence why you should not enter just because it looks ok).

I'm sure a lot of "dramatic" flooded car footage in urban environments on the news is filmed around bridges.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Now you imagine it is dark, and it is flooded to the level just below the railings. You have not driven that road before. What would you see?
    Given that my car is fitted with headlights, which I use, and there are streetlights there... I'd like to think that an absolute maximum closing speed of three car lengths per second, I'd be able to twig that there's a problem ahead...

I mean, it's not as if there's no warning sign of the distance between the top of the bridge and the road surface, is there?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure