We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is it Illegal for Unauthorised Staff to Open Job Candidates Applications?

Options

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    edited 12 December 2017 at 12:19PM
    Options
    35 mins after NEVER READING AGAIN, still reading :rotfl:

I hope they are not using my username and profile picture to do crime!

And now

Last Activity: Today 11:11 AM
    Current Activity: Sending Forum Feedback
    *yawn*
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The firm has potentially breached some guidelines of the DPA, however as they are guidelines I can't see any actions being taken by ICO. Once GDPR comes in it will be a different story - but we aren't there yet.

Probably the most relevant parts:
    "• Ensure that faxed applications are given directly to the person
    or people processing the applications and that these are stored
    in a locked drawer.
    • If applications are processed by line managers, make sure line
    managers are aware of how to gather and store applications."

Illegal? No, not in my non-expert opinion. Breach and therefore reportable under GDPR? More than likely. Under DPA? Less likely.

The get out for the company (under DPA) is to say that person was authorised to collect/review CVs, what are you going to do then?
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    MJRWORKS wrote: »
    I should have said “sales assistant” (she wasn’t management), and the vacancy I applied for is above hers, so there’s no need for her to open it. When I have been a sales assistant in the past, when a person hands me an envelope for the manager, it means it’s for THE MANAGER! If you’re an assistant to a manager and have been given responsibility for dealing with CVs etc, then okay, but it was very unlikely that this sales assistant was.
    You are being way to precious over this
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MJRWORKS wrote: »
    Reading some of these replies, I really do pity modern society and humanity. Some naive, immature and inferiority complex cases going on. Thanks for your time and jumping down my throat. I won’t be reading or wasting my time by using this forum for any further advice.

Edit: My status as a newbie on this forum, doesn’t reflect my actual knowledge and age of maturity. It’s apparent that some people here seem to be arrogant of their virtual status and lack of reality.
    People can be pretty brusque here, but you've had some good advice. Why are you so concerned that someone else might have seen your application? Why does it matter? If you apply for a job and send your details, there is no reason to assume that your application will only be seen by certain people.
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Options
    I think the problem is that the op thinks that sales assistants are some lower class then he is and that they are unskilled, were in fact a lot are probably better then the management but are doing that job as the hours suit around there life.

I do not think there is any government policy anywhere that states only management can read CV's. It will only state that the data needs to be handled appropriately. Granted professionally the assistant should have taken it to an office but I doubt opening something as you are walking is classed as a data breach, as I doubt the spies were all hanging just waiting to get a glimpse of an open envelope as they walked past.

Also what exactly is in your CV that somebody could not get from other sources if they were that way inclined.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    edited 13 December 2017 at 12:25PM
    Options
    35 mins after NEVER READING AGAIN, still reading :rotfl:

I hope they are not using my username and profile picture to do crime!

If it comes to that I saw somebody very like your profile picture ****ing in my flowerpots.

On the main subject, it does surprise me how little some people must think governments have to do that they might have had time to bring in laws about who is "authorised" to open job applications.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Someone as lowly as a sales assistant opening post from a person as important as the OP? Makes my blood boil.;)
  • sharpe106
    Options
    On the main subject, it does surprise me how little some people must think governments have to do that they might have had time to bring in laws about who is "authorised" to open job applications.

Once they have sorted brexit out they will be all over this.
  • SuperPikachu
    Options
    I'm quite confused what sort of advice the OP was expecting to receive? I don't think we are really into molly cuddling and lying on these forums!
  • sharpe106
    Options
    I'm quite confused what sort of advice the OP was expecting to receive? I don't think we are really into molly cuddling and lying on these forums!

Think he wanted an angry mob with pitchforks to chase that horrible jumped up sales assistant and put her back into her place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport