Help

Options
Jr14
Jr14 Posts: 60 Forumite
Hi everyone - I had my DRO accepted recently and have just realised when checking my noddle account that one of my account numbers on an old credit card appears different to what is on my DRO. I initially just assumed it was a different reference number but now I’m worried they’ve changed my card number within the many years I’ve moved address etc (always paid minimum amount by dd but never actually changed my address, bad I know).
I have tried to ring the card company but they won’t speak to me as don’t know any of the security questions! Surely they would be able to trace the card number on my DRO to this debt?
Please help!
Thanks in advance 😫

Comments

• Jr14
    Options
    Would stepchange and the IS have seen this during the application process too? Assuming they look at your credit report?

Totally my error I know
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Jr14

You haven't suggested that the card company concerned have made any attempts to pursue you for this debt since the DRO was granted, and there is every chance that this should not be an issue at all. When your DRO was approved, you will have been sent a letter including a list of all the creditors listed within it. Keep this safe so that in the event anyone does chase you for payment, you can send them a copy of this by way of proof. If you did not hold multiple accounts and cards with that particular company, I would like to think that this administrative error would cause no major headaches.

You can always get back in touch with the Stepchange intermediary who handled your DRO if you want further peace of mind.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Jr14
    Options
    Hi - no they’ve not chased me (they have an old address)... I was just a bit worried if it was wrong and they weren’t aware of the DRO they would persue it further and I’d end up with CCJs etc.
    I only the one account with them yes - on my DRO confirmation it just has the company’s name and not any account numbers so hopefully will be okay?
    Think I will call stepchange too tomorrow. Many thanks
    :)
  • Jr14
    Options
    Ah phew thank you :)
    Have been worrying all day!
  • Jr14
    Options
    I’m guessing capital one will just know about it even though there’s a difference in numbers?
  • Jr14
    Options
    Phew thanks! Strange how most are card numbers it confused me ��
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,883 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As long as the outstanding balance you quoted covers the debt owed, you will be fine.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Jr14
    Options
    yes it covers the amount owed :)
  • Jr14
    Options
    Should I write to capital one to inform them of change of address and confirm they are aware of DRO? My owing balance is shooting up on my credit report and worried they’ll issue a ccj or something that I won’t be aware of due to wrong address ��
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Jr14 wrote: »
    Should I write to capital one to inform them of change of address and confirm they are aware of DRO? My owing balance is shooting up on my credit report and worried they’ll issue a ccj or something that I won’t be aware of due to wrong address ��

There's probably nothing to worry about. They can continue to operate the account, but cannot enforce it, during the moratorium. And they would have been informed of the dro and the debt balance.

But it wouldn't do any harm to remind them of where you are with this account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure