PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Options

Comments

• MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 November 2017 at 2:37PM
    Options
    We donated/sold 70% of all our belonging about three years ago, including our TV. That really simplified life. I can honestly say our house is tidy 80% of the time, without me having to do much tidying.

I also think there are other, small (and seemingly silly) things you can do, like:
    -unsubscribe from all mailing lists so all your emails are personal/important - or use Unroll.Me to digest the,
    -write to companies that send you things by post and cancel
    -stop seeing people who bring nothing but negativity
    -reduce your commitments so you're only involved in things worth your time, and that are meaningful to you
    - create a basic list of easy meals (few ingredients, short time) that are wholesome, frugal and freeze well. Display in kitchen.
    - create a capsule wardrobe (thoroughly recommend project 333) of very few clothing items to eliminate the need for overwhelming choice on a day to day basis
    - similarly only keep books and movies that have meaning/you are 100% committed to reading again. Less clutter and less obligation to spend time on them.
    - try unplugging the telly for a few days and see if you can do without it
    - we sometimes have secular 'sabbaths' where we prep food the day before and have no work and no electronices for a full 24 hours. Just chatting, board games, walks. Connecting as a family and fully unwinding.
    - try camping for your next holiday :)
    - we don't buy snacks - apart from nuts and fruit - or fizzy drinks. Meals are three times a day with an apple or bit of bread if you're peckish.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    MandM90 wrote: »

I also think there are other, small (and seemingly silly) things you can do, like:
    -unsubscribe from all mailing lists so all your emails are personal/important - or use Unroll.Me to digest the,

Can I just say thank you very much for this suggestion. I had no idea and I find an untidy inbox extremely frustrating. Off to go see what I can do. :)
  • Nonnadiluca
    Options
    I am definitely going to try switching the TV off unless there's something specific we want to watch, it's a real time waster. My problem with this is OH; if he walks into the sitting room he puts the TV on, it's a reflex reaction! He will then look at cricket scores or flick through and settle on the least awful option like 2008 Homes under the hammer or Escape to the country somewhere we would never go, then goes out to the garden, leaving it on. Drives me nuts!!
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • SimpleLiving
    Options
    jackyann wrote: »
    I agree, but am adding some words of advice and caution!
    You don't say what your situation is regarding time / money / health / responsibilities. All of these can impact a lot on how you live your life. I can no longer cycle, and our bus routes have been cut. We try to maximise use of the car, but that can lead to pressure.
    I suggest that you identify the pressure points and think about how you will deal with them. For instance, I always have a tin of soup in the cupboard, and a pizza in the freezer, for those days when things don't work out!
    Identify the simple things that give you pleasure, and set out to maximise them. Seek out the people and groups that will help you do that.
    Baby steps, and forgive yourself if you don't manage everything. I admire people who garden and do allotments. I have tried, and it never worked (except for herbs). In retirement, DH made me a small deep bed, and with very little effort, it provides me with salad stuff and greens all year round. I haven't the patience or inclination for any more than that, so am pleased with what I do, rather than be annoyed that I don't do more.
    I love this board where folk are so helpful to each other, so forward together into 2018!
    I work part time freelance. Tbh I don't enjoy the work but it pays well so I just do as much as needed to have a decent standard of living...which to me is enough to pay basic bills, a holiday and then mostly other stuff for my 12 year old. I am not into lavish living and enjoy simple stuff. The mortgage was paid off when I was made redundant a few years ago and I have some savings but am aware that the work may dry up at any time and I need the peace of mind that my savings bring. I don't think my sister understands my way of thinking at all and that is a constant source of stress. She is always spending more than she earns and getting into money problems that then affects the rest of the family:(
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    Disability means that allotmenting and gardening is out of the question for me.

I have a REAL problem with books....I used to have 6 book shelves...moved house and downsized to 4...moved house again a year ago and had to downsize...so I now have 3...and they are overflowing!...I have had a clear out - they certainly look neater...I could never get rid of all my books...some of them are very old and very dear friends!

From next year there is a strict rule with DVDs....no MORE!!!!....I have a share in an Amazon Prime subscription, and get more than enough films and TV from that! (And thankfully I only have Freeview TV....no cutbacks needed there!)...and once a month I will sort through the DVD shelf and be honest about what I will never watch again...I reckon 25% to 50% will be gone after 12 months!

I actually think that a few investments can make the simple-life easier...a slowcooker is brilliant...and pays for itself in next to no time...and a stick blender. ....I cannot understand people BUYING soup!...I made a batch today, curried carrot and parsnip...lovely big mugful for lunch and the rest portioned up for the freezer.....and always go for wonky veg...or use the market stall.....(why buy a Styrofoam tray with four carrots, covered in clingfilm...when you only want 2 carrots and have no use for the Styrofoam or clingfilm???!!!

Learning to knit was a brilliant idea for me!....Firstly it makes me still feel useful (I can no longer work)....and also the market sells woolly hats for £5 and I made a hat and gloves for half that!

I must be about 10 years since I last ate a takeaway!....I do enjoy pizza...and really love a curry....but have homemade...(and freeze curry as my homemade takeaway!)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi there ,back in February of this year I popped a thought about Love Food, Hate Waste on the forum as I had read about how there was so much waste in this modernday throw away society of ours I was surpised how well it took off .So a simple life using the similar precepts it a great idea I have been cooking from scratch for most of my long life :) and would find it very hard to change ,but certain things I started to do now have become virtually second nature.

Nothing ,but nothing gets wasted in my house at all if its recycleable or I can find a good home for something rather than tipping stuff I will. My freezer is slowly getting a bit more 'wriggle room' as it was far too full, ny clothes have been either CS or I have found someone who can use them (the local Sally Army are brilliant and are always happy to have donations ,especially of jumpers and warm clothes that I have 'ourgrown ' :) or just no longer wear.

I recycle or refurbish 'junk' furniture as a hobby and enjoy rubbing stuff down ,sandpapering and undercoating and repainting. My DD with her four lads have been very happy with my efforts.

As for books well I usually find some one who can use them after me as most come from donations from folk who know I read a lot .One friend whose aged Mum has just gone into a nursing home and she was clering her flat gave me a complete set of Dickens which sat in the spare room for about a month then I discovered that one of the chaps who comes to our quiz night team is a ardent fan so I gave them to him on Tuesday night

So more power to your elbow and I'm sure we will all be behind you and will come up with lots of ideas to help

Cheers JackieO xx
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Lots of lovely ideas!
    To those of you who don't garden because of a disability, can I suggest that you consider a raised deep bed, or 'table top' to grow herbs, some salad stuff and greens? I should have said that my deep bed is raised so I can deal with it easily. But please, it is only a gentle suggestion that may be useful, as salad and greens are so expensive!

Also, it my be obvious, but sort your clothes carefully. I have made my own clothes, on and off since i was 11, and making nearly all of them in retirement is a hobby that gives me a lot of pleasure. Now, every new item is carefully made, so represents an investment of time and effort as well as money.
    I have been known to change my clothes 3 or 4 times a day, so that I am always wearing the oldest and most worn that I can get away with! If I put on something nice to go out, I will usually change it the minute I get back. But I have to say that sometimes I look at my wardrobe and think it is full of clothes that have the invisible labels 'for the garden' & 'wear around the house'.

I am a keen freecycler / freegler and library user. But sadly our appalling county council is almost certain to close all of the libraries within any reasonable distance in my rural area. Even taking the bus won't be easy as there is no direct bus to any of the places that are keeping their libraries, and the cuts mean that changing buses involves a lot of waiting. The town we usually take our car to for shopping will have its library closed, so we shall have to consider a special trip of 10 miles (20 round trip) and we're not sure it will be worth it.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I too have felt rather overwhelmed recently by the sheer commercials of modern life with my email box flooded with promotional adverts and emails for Black Friday, Cyber Monday, expensive aAdvent calendars packed with chocolates and miniature drinks!
    I sent a very rude response yesterday to a company sending me a “Crimbo”advert.
    I would love to de clutter and simplify but my husband insists of retaining books and other items he hasn,t touched for years. I rarely watch TV. Can,t stand the incessant adverts and the loud background music which producers now insist on including in almost every programme.
    Nevertheless I shall I unsubscribe myself to emails and keep trying to simplify my life.
  • Thank you MandM90 for the unroll link, I've always gone through my emails and unsubscribed manually which takes forever!!

I'm in agreement with this thread and would love to follow and join in too if you don't mind SimpleLiving?

I have made some steps towards simplifying my life already the last couple of weeks. I've cancelled Netflix (intending to read more - with books from the library which I've also recently rejoined).

For my birthday I received a little shelf greenhouse for my birthday which I plan to grow herbs and spices in and a hand blender with the intention of doing more soups etc. (instead of buying lunch from the expensive hospital shops at work). Takeaways and convenience food is something we really waste a lot of money on through a total lack of meal planning.

Me and my partner are hoping to start a family next year so if we can save a bit of money, simplify and get more of a routine in place now then it'll certainly help :)
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 30 November 2017 at 6:54PM
    Options
    Hello!

I would like to join in too. I will be earning significantly less in the new year ( but working less - all by choice) but that will mean simplifying life too. I have asked for national trust membership for Christmas, and renewal of my Amazon prime membership. I will have more time to shop for Ys stuff at supermarkets, and cook from scratch. I don't need anything new, so will replace things as needed as suggested with either high quality which will mast or second hand depending. I'm going away for a couple of months at new year, but that will be my holiday for a while! I have a car ( which I love very much) but otherwise I don't have/need/want lots of fancy stuff. More importantly, I don't want rubbish to throw away every season and buy more.

Main plans so far are to meal plan, ys shop, cook from scratch, cook more different dishes, grow more food at home ( I'm thinking about an allotment - there are some just across from my place), I'm teaching myself to sew and have already made a couple of tops which are passable enough to be worn out of the house, I will read the books I already have ( if I read full time on my days off, they will still take at least 12 months to read them all - not including Ebooks).

I shall read on with interest

Bexster :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family