Fat Lama

Options
Anyone any experience of this?? I've posted my virtually unused Boardman bike for sale on Gumtree as I need cash for some urgent house repairs and someone asked if they could rent it using this site. I have no intention of renting a pristine bike to someone I don't know but am intrigued at the premise of the site.

Comments

• spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Funny that!
    I put something on Gumtree this lunchtime, £35, got text mid-afternoon asking me exactly the same.
    Also message ended with 'apologies for strange request'.
    Move along, nothing to see.
  • lilmiss1982
    lilmiss1982 Posts: 1,405 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    yep few months back got similar message about a £40 toy bundle.

Just ignored it.
    For thousands of people this Christmas, their must-have gift is far more vital than the latest gadget or toy – it’s blood. Please don’t let the festivities and cold weather prevent you from giving them the ultimate gift… give blood.
  • Ting-Tang
    Options
    Yep me too!
    Also a text about a bike I was selling on Gumtree.
    Didn't even bother checking out this Fat Lama, I just ignored it.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like whoever fat lama are they have a creative way of advertising themselves on Gumtree!

Is anyone still selling on Gumtree? I gave up a few years back after nothing but time wasters and scam responses. I tried Facebook selling for a while but that seemed to go the same way and am currently using SHpock. I assume that once SHpock becomes popular the scammers will start there as well, but at the moment it's fine and I'm selling quite a lot of stuff.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Given the logo shows what appears to be a llama, why on earth is the company called Fat Lama?!

What is the association with Tibetan Buddhism?

Or is it such a badly thought out scam that they didn't even to check the spelling of their company name...?
  • Ting-Tang
    Options
    Soolin, yes there are a lot of scam responses when you're selling on Gumtree. Timewasters too, although I've found Shpock to be worse for that.
    I do still sell some stuff successfully on Gumtree, it is very up and down though.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ting-Tang wrote: »
    Soolin, yes there are a lot of scam responses when you're selling on Gumtree. Timewasters too, although I've found Shpock to be worse for that.
    I do still sell some stuff successfully on Gumtree, it is very up and down though.

At least on SHpock they have to ask questions on a specific item rather than send out 10,000 'I'm interested in your item' bait mails. I have also had a few people buy and then go quiet, and there is an option to cancel, relist and report buyer instantly, which I like.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • AcioKnows
    Options
    I!!!8217;ve just recently downloaded the Fat Lama app and listed two items for rental.

Has anyone on here had any success with renting via Fat Lama?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    .co.uk domain registration suspended and the .com site uses a privacy service. You trust a company that hides?

Their website is funny, shows they check the lenders ID but not the Borrowers ID?

Check the terms, everything is insured with no excess, but then go on to say if your unsure if your item will be covered to contact them, err you just said everythings covered?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• MikeyDude
    Options
    Company is completely useless! It’s a young company (in every aspect of the word) and, as a result, have absolutely no concept of Customer Service. It’s one of those Companies that when things are going well, all is good. But, as soon as the wheels fall off, no one has a clue what to do. I’ve had two issues with them recently. Firstly, they won’t let you set your own daily rate. By that I mean that if you choose ‘Smart Pricing’ and let’s say you want £10 a day, you enter £10 per day. Simple enough. Now, if you want to incentivise the borrower, you can have the option to select £10 a day, but £50 a week. Once again, pretty straightforward. However, if the borrower then rents an item for three days, it gives them a discount. But, you may only want to give them a discount if they rent for seven days or more. So, you only have two choices. Remove all the Smart Pricing and then the borrower gets no incentive to borrow for longer. Or, select the weekly/monthly Smart Pricing option and end up giving the lender a discount even if they only borrow an item for two days. After emails back & forth regarding this, they just ended up removing ALL my items Smart Pricing. So much for giving the customer what they want! It would literally have been ONE line of code their Developers would have had to modify (up to 7 days rental, charge x per day, more than 7 days rental, charge y). Second issue. I rented out a Drone and it was crashed (the borrower even left the video of the crash on the SD Card!). It has now been six weeks and the buyer has not paid for the repair. Fat Lama have not done anything (apart from the odd email every now and then saying that they will contact the borrower and see what is going on). They say that everything is insured. So, you’d think that their priority would be to get the item repaired ASAP and recoup the payment from the borrower afterwards. Read their Insurance FAQs yourself and look how simple they make the process sound. I can assure you, it’s not!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure