PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,119 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Yesterday was a shocking day weatherwise and my poor son got absolutely soaked servicing his car. It seems brighter this morning so hopefully he can get finished dry. :)
    The internet and TV went down yesterday due to a fault affecting most of the area, seems fine this morning thankfully :)
    I did make a pot of leek & tattie soup so that will do lunch again today.
    I've a houseful tonight to celebrate my nephew's birthday, my sister is doing most of the catering but I've made a keema curry. I'm for another cuppa and I best get on with some housework so the place is reasonably clean & tidy for guests.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,333 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Morning, just popped in before I trot off out

Raining here, hope it eases, I don't fancy squelching round, but I will mostly be under cover

Tea, HM ginger marmalade on toast to sustain me until lunch out
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I had a toasted bagel with a couple of Linda McC sausages and some grilled tomatoes for breakfast. Cup of coffee too. Very nice.:cool:

Not sure about the rest of the day yet.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I took the bread roll out to defrost .... and spotted hash browns.
    So breakfast became hash/beans/egg.
    The bread roll is out and defrosting as that will become a fish finger butty for lunch.

I even remembered to get the chicken out and put into the fridge to defrost.

Overall ... I think I'm ahead of the food game. .... until I wonder what I'll eat that chicken with.... it'll have to be "what I've got", which will be a mismatched set of sides.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your help please CFO'ners.

I was given about 5 frozen chicken breasts all stuck together in clingfilm which I duly put in my freezer.

I now don't know what to do with them. I don't want to unfreeze them all as what do I do with them all then. I can't cook up a big batch of something and freeze portions as my freezer is only tiny!

So what do I do? Any thoughts?

TIA:D
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,119 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karcher wrote: »

I was given about 5 frozen chicken breasts all stuck together in clingfilm which I duly put in my freezer.

I now don't know what to do with them. I don't want to unfreeze them all as what do I do with them all then. I can't cook up a big batch of something and freeze portions as my freezer is only tiny!

I'd defrost then either poach/steam until just cooked then re-freeze individually:) Keeps your options open then re what do with them in the future.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm in a real cba mood today. I had a greek yoghurt for breakfast and toast for lunch and this afternoon. I defrosted a portion of beef goulash for dinner. At least that is easy.

I'm also on a use stuff up from the freezer mission and there is a bit more room in there now. I want the room in there for any Christmas bits that I want to freeze,
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I hope today is the last of it money, blimmin long time

I am out all day, craft day and have had a good breakfast. Spelt/dried raspberries/cacao nibs and hemp milk. Followed by sd bread scraped with butter and toasted on the griddle plus an egg done on the same griddle at the same time with no fat. Ok I bought the griddle, expensive but 100% reviews and my very heavy iron frying pan got into such a mess last time I made drop pancakes. Saved on electricity and on butter, so a win win

Lunch will be packed salad and frozen cheese dropped scones. When I get home, a comfy rm meal, turkey with maild paprika taste with homely topping of swede/carrot. While spending money, I bought an electric yogurt maker with lovely small pots. Tonight I will buy some guernsey milk from sainsburys and use a small yogurt to make enough yogurt for 8 days. I used to make it lots but not for many years. I am pee`d off with the price of these top yogurts that I buy. The lot after this lot will be from organic guernsey but I need to order it first. I will save about £3-50 every time, more if I use supermarket organic whole milk

I`ll buy some leeks on the way home, they freeze very well, sliced, washed and dried on a tea towel

Another one here in favour of HM yogurt have done it for years. What yoghurt maker have you got.? Ive got an old one, well it is now was new when I bought it for £2 on a carboot. It has 7 little glass jars with screw on lids. It has more than paid for itself in fact has saved me a small fortune
    Slimming World at target
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    karcher wrote: »

Get a bread knife and try to saw them apart so you can use individually - BE careful!

You could run the knife under boiling water/heat it over a gas ring to help.

Failing that you could defrost and cook just plain then return to freezer they will take up no more room. Then use the cooked chicken in your recipes. Make sure you cut in individual portions before you re-freze as you won't be able to freeze it further,
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Another one here in favour of HM yogurt have done it for years. What yoghurt maker have you got.? Ive got an old one, well it is now was new when I bought it for £2 on a carboot. It has 7 little glass jars with screw on lids. It has more than paid for itself in fact has saved me a small fortune

I've got a small easyio one, I find even that amount is too much to get through for one person but I do like HM yogurt. Made with Jersey milk sounds even better, I might have to dig it out soon.

Made three veg lasagne today no idea what they will be like as it was a budget canned food recipe. I will have one later with garlic bread and two for the frezer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure