Tales from The Shire

Comments

• Hope you sleep well too.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi Fortune
    That sounds so exciting! The very best of luck on your journey
    PP x
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Fortune! Oh my word, congratulations on the move and congratulations on sorting out so much already - lovely about the house sign, and important about the mailbox, but the homeliness and your own touches *inside* the house sound absolutely brilliant.

Always go with a nice glass of red :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,033 Forumite
    Hope you sleep well too.

Hi Wishing. We are sleeping very well thank you. I'm doing over 10,000 steps easily every day which is helping. The house is long and narrow so you have to walk a fair distance just to get from the living room to the kitchen :rotfl: It will all help to keep me fit.
    pinkypig wrote: »
    Hi Fortune
    That sounds so exciting! The very best of luck on your journey
    PP x

Welcome Pinky and thank you.
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Hi Fortune! Oh my word, congratulations on the move and congratulations on sorting out so much already - lovely about the house sign, and important about the mailbox, but the homeliness and your own touches *inside* the house sound absolutely brilliant.

Always go with a nice glass of red :)

Yay Karma :hello:

Can't believe we've been in the house a fortnight tomorrow. There still seems so much to do. It is feeling a little more homely now though.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    One guest room cleaned and made up today :)

For every box we unpack though there still seems to be another two or three to step into its place. We don't seem to be doing anything other than cleaning and unpacking but it doesn't look like much progress has been made. I'm hoping it's one of those situations where suddenly it will all come together ;)

The post box arrived today and Mr F put it up just in time for the post delivery :) He's off on his first business trip tomorrow from here. Not only will I lose his handyman skills, I'll be on my own overnight for the first time :eek:

A few more necessary purchases have been made but we are still within budget.

New fridge is being delivered tomorrow (another integrated appliance we couldn't bring with us). I've been using a portable camping fridge or running across to the one in the annex since we moved in. Tile Man is coming to quote for kitchen tile cleaning too.

My chores for tomorrow are cleaning the fridge, freezer and downstairs loo. Life in The Shire is all glamour so far :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

My chores for tomorrow are cleaning the fridge, freezer and downstairs loo. Life in The Shire is all glamour so far :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Fortune x

*pops knitted mitts and rubber gloves in the post to Fortune*

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Fortune_Smiles
    *pops knitted mitts and rubber gloves in the post to Fortune*

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Greying X

I'm going through rubber gloves at a rate of knots Greying :rotfl:

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    I survived the night :D No intruders and no ghosts :)

The beautiful fridge arrived yesterday. I love it. Much roomier than my last one and really efficient.

Tile Man came and cleaned up a couple of tiles so that I could see the effect. What a difference! The floor really is disgusting. It's the grout that's the problem. It's a dark brown colour and it's supposed to be white :eek: I had cleaned a bit previously to see whether I could do it myself and save some money. However, it took a very long time and I couldn't get the grout as clean as Tile Man could. He's going to seal the grout too so, although it's going to be a bit pricey, I think it's worth the investment. The budget is still holding so I'm going to go for it.

I cleaned the camping fridge so that it can be put away but didn't do the freezer as I don't need it just yet. The downstairs loo got put on hold too as I ran out of cleaning products :rotfl: It's on the list for today though as T£$co have just delivered and replenished the stocks. I think about 50% of my order this week was cleaning products :rotfl: I unpacked a few more boxes instead so some progress was made.

Today's purchases include a replacement stand for our small TV so that I can have that in the bedroom. I usually watch a little in bed when Mr F's away and set in on sleep timer so it switches itself off after I've nodded off. I find it a comfort when I'm on my own and I missed it last night. We had it wall mounted in the last house and the stand it came with is lost in the mists of time.

I also ordered some fake wasps nests to keep the wasps from scraping our wooden window frames to make their nests :eek: You can hear the little rasping noises they make from inside the house and they'll ruin them eventually. I've read that fake nests will deter them and at £3.49 for two I thought it worth a try.

Right. The downstairs loo is calling and there's a pile of ironing planned for this afternoon.

Have a great day

Fortune x
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Amazing how effective deep cleaning can be. Glad tiles came up so well :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Amazing how effective deep cleaning can be. Glad tiles came up so well :)

I can't wait for Tile Man to do his stuff. It will make so much difference to the place.

Fortune x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback