Undervalued stocks

Options

Comments

• Broken_Biscuits
    Options
    http://www.starcapital.de/research/stockmarketvaluation

You could use the the above to conclude it's the perfect time to buy into Russian and Brazilian funds. What goes down has to go up, right?
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/ETFs/company-summary/IE00B1W57M07ZZUSDEUE2.html?lang=en

Bought some BRIC ETF last year, not the iShares one, at around 25, and it went down to 17. No sweat, I could wait, it even paid a little dividend. And then HSBC CLOSED the ETF!!!! Too small to bother.
    Cashed me out at around 21. Now it's back to 25.

If they just left it alone, I wouldn't have lost a penny.

So, it's not buying Russia and Brazil that loses money, it's just me!!
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    OP - ask Piers Morgan for recommendations perhaps....? ;)
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    Bought some BRIC ETF last year, not the iShares one, at around 25, and it went down to 17. No sweat, I could wait, it even paid a little dividend. And then HSBC CLOSED the ETF!!!! Too small to bother.
    Cashed me out at around 21. Now it's back to 25.

If they just left it alone, I wouldn't have lost a penny.

So, it's not buying Russia and Brazil that loses money, it's just me!!
    Well, if you had bought the ishares ETF with your 21 when you'd been cashed out by HSBC but still wanted Bric exposure, you wouldn't have lost either :)

So it's not so much "just you", it's "just someone who buys something and agrees to sell it for less than they paid and not do what they can to follow up on their original conviction to keep holding it even though the conviction is still valid"...
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 October 2016 at 6:57PM
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Well, if you had bought the ishares ETF with your 21 when you'd been cashed out by HSBC but still wanted Bric exposure, you wouldn't have lost either :)

So it's not so much "just you", it's "just someone who buys something and agrees to sell it for less than they paid and not do what they can to follow up on their original conviction to keep holding it even though the conviction is still valid"...

With my luck, everybody will dump the iShares BRIC ETF, and they will close that too.

It's strange, I joined a computer company, when they were third in the world.
    They merged with another one, to become second to IBM, and then the whole company almost disappeared.

My last job, world's second or third news agency, doing very well, swanky Christmas parties (Dinosaur Room at the Natural History Museum). A few years later, final salary scheme in trouble (Equitable Life), and share price plunged, and got bought up.

Call me Jonah. I sink whales, or is it attract whales to sink the ship I go on?
  • DrSyn
    DrSyn Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

They merged with another one, to become second to IBM, and then the whole company almost disappeared.

Was that company by any chance Control Data?
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DrSyn wrote: »
    Was that company by any chance Control Data?
    Burroughs was number two, next to IBM. The merger between Burroughs and Sperry was like trying to mate two dinosaurs.
    Before your time, no doubt. CDC was a cool name, but I think they had high-tech, not high business volume.
  • DrSyn
    DrSyn Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Burroughs was number two, next to IBM. The merger between Burroughs and Sperry was like trying to mate two dinosaurs.
    Before your time, no doubt. CDC was a cool name, but I think they had high-tech, not high business volume.

Two dinosaurs, of which sex?:D

I recognise the names but never had any dealings with them myself.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

My last job, world's second or third news agency, doing very well, swanky Christmas parties (Dinosaur Room at the Natural History Museum). A few years later, final salary scheme in trouble (Equitable Life), and share price plunged, and got bought up.

Call me Jonah. I sink whales, or is it attract whales to sink the ship I go on?

You are far from being alone. My working career has followed a similar path. Though once I fronted the investors to buy my old company from the clutches of the administrator. Bought it back for £15k. £7.5k down and a further £7.5k after twelve months. Not bad when you consider the administrator wanted £850k for the IP alone. (Without the technical knowledge the IP was of course worthless).
  • Besides just doing ALOT of research, and finding companies that have good fundamentals (sustained past profits, low debt, future growth potential etc) but the market is viewing it unfavourably, there are a few tools that you can use. E.g. Simply Wall St. you can sort stocks by value (they use DCF method). It's a good base to start identifying potentially undervalued stocks, and then diving in further to research them.

Would love to know if there's any other tools people are using?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure