Old address on V5C and looking to part-ex

Options

Comments

• lizards
    lizards Posts: 244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I asked a dealer today what we should do, and he said as long as the name is the same (which of course it is!) it wouldn't be a problem. Whether he's telling the truth or just wants the sale, who knows!!

If it was guaranteed two weeks I probably would take it, but the government site says four weeks, only chaseable after six. I believe they're a lot quicker when it's transfer of ownership rather than a simple address change, as one is obviously more important (usually)

Do dealers swap cars around? I thought, especially when it's franchises, they guard their stock quite jealously?
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    lizards wrote: »

Do dealers swap cars around? I thought, especially when it's franchises, they guard their stock quite jealously?

Sure they do -

"I'll swap you two green ones for a red and a blue."

but seriously, they do exchange them as every car in their showroom (or on order) has been specced by a salesman simply making an educated guess as what might be wanted.

They are all custom builds as you mentioned in post #1

The salesmen usually just choose the most popular options.

Have an ask - if you're looking for a particular option - maybe you'll get lucky.

But what's wrong with ordering the exact spec you want - 4 to 6 months isn't that long a wait.

What car are we talking about here anyway.
  • lizards
    Options
    Yep, I'm aware they're all custom as guessed by the sales team! There have been several that have been very close, so it's a matter of time until we get one with the right spec. We're using carwow to browse models (anyone know of anything similar?) and there's already several we might consider that would be "close enough".

Our old car is starting to reach the point where we might have to put a bit of work in (broken A/C compressor, dodgy starter motor which may or may not last much longer). I wouldn't mind fixing those things normally as we do, but given we know we're upgrading very soon, it's not a worthwhile investment really and it makes sense to cut losses and get a new car before something else goes wrong. It's a Volvo XC90 we're after (large family)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yep, I'm aware they're all custom as guessed by the sales team! There have been several that have been very close, so it's a matter of time until we get one with the right spec.
    I think you're making a leap of logic there.

The spec of cars ordered for stock is not really "guessed" - they're chosen to appeal to what the majority of buyers want. You may get the odd cancelled order, which is some other punter's personal choice. If you want a specific spec, then you're really going to need to order it. Sure, it may take a while - especially if it's built in the far east. But your particular spec may take a LOT longer to come up on the lottery of stock orders, or may never come up.

You're after an XC90 - so a newly-released model where demand is likely to be outstripping supply for a while. Go for the order. If your spec does pop up in the meantime, the dealer are quite likely to be happy to convert your factory order to a stock order.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Options
    I asked a dealer today what we should do, and he said as long as the name is the same (which of course it is!) it wouldn't be a problem. Whether he's telling the truth or just wants the sale, who knows!!

It's unlikely they'll reject it; chances are they won't even notice the address is different (plus, what's to say you've only got one address :j).
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    Options
    I would be more worried about having got fines and had your licence revoked than what the car dealer says/wants.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• lizards
    Options
    Honestly, I'm fairly sure something will come up very soon, there's already some out there we'd be happy with and we're not that fussed about a few compromises. Some stuff they can add after market anyway like a towbar. We don't want anything unusual, which is probably why there are so many that are close - as you say, the majority of buyers.

I've read on other forums that sometimes they can get arsey about swapping around if you already have one on order. And we really do need a new car sooner rather than later - this one is starting to reach tipping point where it becomes far less economical to repair. It's making sounds it never used to, and there's other niggly things that could suggest bigger problems. I don't want to run the risk of being stranded without a car at all, and months to wait for the new one to come in (or being forced to compromise more than we'd have had to because we're in a hurry)

I'm really not worried about fines - between the fact I've not had one the whole time I've been driving (20+ years) as I tend to keep to the limit and not take risks, drive only around 6000 miles a year and the active mail forwarding at my old address, I think it's extremely unlikely. They have my current address for my license anyway so if it was revoked I am quite sure I'd have heard about it by now.
  • wylie102
    wylie102 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    What did you do in the end? I'm in a similar situation.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is a 2 year old thread, I don't think the OP is still here.

Don't worry about it, why would a dealer or a purchaser care what address is on the V5C, as long as you have the right to sell it?

I'd be more concerned if the issue date was last week, then I'd have to check that change of keeper before to see how long you had had it.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • GRRC
    Options
    Hi all. I bought a new car from a dealer and paid road tax for a year. Have received a fine for 80 quid through the post from collections agency and now a 100 quid fine for driving without tax. It turns out either the dealer or DVLa put our old address on the v5 (we had our previous car through same dealer at old address). Dealership say they have proof of correct address and DVKA blaming dealership. We had been driving vehicle for 5 months untaxed as we had no reminder. What can I do? And why should I have to pay due to someone else's negligence?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure