MSE News: Train delayed? You can now request cash compensation

Passengers claiming compensation for delays and disruption in Great Britain can now request cash compensation...
Read the full story:

Train delayed? You can now request cash compensation

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• DaveF327
    DaveF327 Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't often use the train, but when I did last year, it arrived 11 minutes late to take me to the office Christmas party!! Any lawyers want to take my case?

Oh, and just a reminder to make your case within 28 days. If you don't, here's a template letter you could use:

210d66o.jpg
  • james_smitha
    james_smitha Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Why 30 minutes, not 15?
    Most people being late 15 minutes late for work would be grilled by the HOD
  • mollymorls
    mollymorls Posts: 23 Forumite
    Good!! Every time my trains are delayed I have to fork out for a taxi...
    2015 total wins = £620
    2016 total wins = £1500
  • james_smitha
    james_smitha Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    mollymorls Have you enquired about a lift or car share at work????
  • Southern rail already allow you to do this, check the small print of any refund letters and it states you can convert for cash at Southern stations.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Unsurprisingly you might not find mention of this on the TOC websites. :mad:
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    last time I caught a train into London my train was cancelled, they put 4 trains worth of people on one train and it was delayed by 45 mins...
    The train manager announced we could claim half the fare. I wrote an email asking how to claim, they sent me a £20 train voucher. I called Virgin and told them £20 was less than the 50% I was entitled to, not to mention we had to get a taxi so we would not be late, I then got as cheque for half the fare and the taxi, and I still have the voucher ... not a bad result.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The pain with the vouchers for me was that most of my train journeys are business and booked through the company travel agent so there was no easy way for me to put it back in to the company. So I had to use them to buy a first class upgrade instead :-)

BTW - Hull Trains used to send cheques not vouchers.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • teezie
    teezie Posts: 51 Forumite
    This is a good find, just about to put a claim in to Virgin (1hr 15 minute delay) the issue I'm having with their online claim form is that it wont let me select my final destination, only the final destination station served by Virgin - although the delay with Virgin was 48 *only* minutes they caused me to miss my connection meaning I arrived at my destination over an hour late. Hoping I can get the full refund.
    However thinking it might be worth a formal complaint because similar to nearlyrich's story, our train was delayed, they they cancelled the following train (headed London bound) and told everyone to pile on ours, it was carnage with people refusing to give up seats that were reserved by people booked onto that train. And not a single member of Virgin staff was seen on the entire journey...
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    teezie wrote: »
    This is a good find, just about to put a claim in to Virgin (1hr 15 minute delay) the issue I'm having with their online claim form is that it wont let me select my final destination, only the final destination station served by Virgin - although the delay with Virgin was 48 *only* minutes they caused me to miss my connection meaning I arrived at my destination over an hour late. Hoping I can get the full refund. .
    You are entitled to 100% compensation of a single ticket (or 50% of a return ticket) for your whole journey. I'd write to them a clear and very concise letter, listing your planned itinerary and your actual timings. Before sending it, take a photo/scan of the tickets. Consider sending it recorded delivery. Or email them, attaching a photo/scan of the tickets if you prefer.

The online forms are unacceptable and are, I believe, possibly a deliberate ploy to deter people claiming what they're entitled to, as I find it hard to believe that they're capable of that level of incompetence by accident.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure