Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 20th Jul 15, 10:25 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Train delayed? You can now request cash compensation
    • 20th Jul 15, 10:25 AM
    MSE News: Train delayed? You can now request cash compensation 20th Jul 15 at 10:25 AM
    Passengers claiming compensation for delays and disruption in Great Britain can now request cash compensation...

Read the full story:

Train delayed? You can now request cash compensation

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • DaveF327
    • By DaveF327 20th Jul 15, 6:44 PM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 1,022 Thanks
    DaveF327
    • 20th Jul 15, 6:44 PM
    • 20th Jul 15, 6:44 PM
    I don't often use the train, but when I did last year, it arrived 11 minutes late to take me to the office Christmas party!! Any lawyers want to take my case?

Oh, and just a reminder to make your case within 28 days. If you don't, here's a template letter you could use:

• james smitha
    • By james smitha 21st Jul 15, 2:23 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    james smitha
    • 21st Jul 15, 2:23 AM
    • 21st Jul 15, 2:23 AM
    Why 30 minutes, not 15?
    Most people being late 15 minutes late for work would be grilled by the HOD
    • mollymorls
    • By mollymorls 21st Jul 15, 12:07 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    mollymorls
    • 21st Jul 15, 12:07 PM
    • 21st Jul 15, 12:07 PM
    Good!! Every time my trains are delayed I have to fork out for a taxi...
    2015 total wins = £620
    2016 total wins = £1500
    • james smitha
    • By james smitha 22nd Jul 15, 6:23 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    james smitha
    • 22nd Jul 15, 6:23 AM
    • 22nd Jul 15, 6:23 AM
    mollymorls Have you enquired about a lift or car share at work????
  • prince jasbo
    • 22nd Jul 15, 8:41 AM
    Southern do it already
    • 22nd Jul 15, 8:41 AM
    Southern rail already allow you to do this, check the small print of any refund letters and it states you can convert for cash at Southern stations.
    • westv
    • By westv 23rd Jul 15, 6:04 PM
    • 4,907 Posts
    • 2,480 Thanks
    westv
    • 23rd Jul 15, 6:04 PM
    • 23rd Jul 15, 6:04 PM
    Unsurprisingly you might not find mention of this on the TOC websites.
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 23rd Jul 15, 6:09 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    • 23rd Jul 15, 6:09 PM
    • 23rd Jul 15, 6:09 PM
    last time I caught a train into London my train was cancelled, they put 4 trains worth of people on one train and it was delayed by 45 mins...
    The train manager announced we could claim half the fare. I wrote an email asking how to claim, they sent me a £20 train voucher. I called Virgin and told them £20 was less than the 50% I was entitled to, not to mention we had to get a taxi so we would not be late, I then got as cheque for half the fare and the taxi, and I still have the voucher ... not a bad result.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 24th Jul 15, 5:13 PM
    • 3,063 Posts
    • 15,665 Thanks
    NBLondon
    • 24th Jul 15, 5:13 PM
    • 24th Jul 15, 5:13 PM
    The pain with the vouchers for me was that most of my train journeys are business and booked through the company travel agent so there was no easy way for me to put it back in to the company. So I had to use them to buy a first class upgrade instead :-)

BTW - Hull Trains used to send cheques not vouchers.
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
    • teezie
    • By teezie 27th Jul 15, 10:40 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    teezie
    This is a good find, just about to put a claim in to Virgin (1hr 15 minute delay) the issue I'm having with their online claim form is that it wont let me select my final destination, only the final destination station served by Virgin - although the delay with Virgin was 48 *only* minutes they caused me to miss my connection meaning I arrived at my destination over an hour late. Hoping I can get the full refund.
    However thinking it might be worth a formal complaint because similar to nearlyrich's story, our train was delayed, they they cancelled the following train (headed London bound) and told everyone to pile on ours, it was carnage with people refusing to give up seats that were reserved by people booked onto that train. And not a single member of Virgin staff was seen on the entire journey...
    • yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 28th Jul 15, 8:58 AM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    yorkie2
    This is a good find, just about to put a claim in to Virgin (1hr 15 minute delay) the issue I'm having with their online claim form is that it wont let me select my final destination, only the final destination station served by Virgin - although the delay with Virgin was 48 *only* minutes they caused me to miss my connection meaning I arrived at my destination over an hour late. Hoping I can get the full refund. .
    Originally posted by teezie
    You are entitled to 100% compensation of a single ticket (or 50% of a return ticket) for your whole journey. I'd write to them a clear and very concise letter, listing your planned itinerary and your actual timings. Before sending it, take a photo/scan of the tickets. Consider sending it recorded delivery. Or email them, attaching a photo/scan of the tickets if you prefer.

The online forms are unacceptable and are, I believe, possibly a deliberate ploy to deter people claiming what they're entitled to, as I find it hard to believe that they're capable of that level of incompetence by accident.
    • hupik
    • By hupik 28th Jul 15, 7:59 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    hupik
    My train was cancelled from Glasgow to London so had to get a later train and put in a claim due to arriving an hour late and missing my bus to Southampton. Virgin today refunded me with a Rail Travel Voucher for 100% of the journey. I wasn't given the option of cash so have sent them an email requesting a cash/cheque refund as per the National Rail Conditions of Carriage from July 19 2015 and I'll return the voucher.....

I'll let you know how I get on
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 28th Jul 15, 8:55 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    This is a good find, just about to put a claim in to Virgin (1hr 15 minute delay) the issue I'm having with their online claim form is that it wont let me select my final destination, only the final destination station served by Virgin - although the delay with Virgin was 48 *only* minutes they caused me to miss my connection meaning I arrived at my destination over an hour late. Hoping I can get the full refund.
    However thinking it might be worth a formal complaint because similar to nearlyrich's story, our train was delayed, they they cancelled the following train (headed London bound) and told everyone to pile on ours, it was carnage with people refusing to give up seats that were reserved by people booked onto that train. And not a single member of Virgin staff was seen on the entire journey...
    Originally posted by teezie

This happened on the train I was on, some chap got on in stoke and said I believe that's my seat to my colleague who said actually it's a free for all mate grab that seat and feel lucky, Could have been the same train teezie

Just send an email telling them the issue and how much it cost you to get to your destination...
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
    • yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 28th Jul 15, 10:07 PM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    yorkie2
    My train was cancelled from Glasgow to London so had to get a later train and put in a claim due to arriving an hour late and missing my bus to Southampton. Virgin today refunded me with a Rail Travel Voucher for 100% of the journey. I wasn't given the option of cash so have sent them an email requesting a cash/cheque refund as per the National Rail Conditions of Carriage from July 19 2015 and I'll return the voucher.....

I'll let you know how I get on
    Originally posted by hupik
    Assuming you held a single, and not a return, the NRCoC (Condition 46) stipulates 50% of the price paid, not 100%.

Of course, Train Companies can be more generous than this, but it's unclear if you can combine the two, or if you have to choose between strict adherence to the NRCoC (50% in the form of money) or the more generous 100% offered by Virgin but in the form of vouchers.

In practice, I am sure they'll offer 100% in money, but it's not clear to me what the legal position is....
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 29th Jul 15, 10:44 AM
    • 3,063 Posts
    • 15,665 Thanks
    NBLondon
    A little extra tip for Virgin complainants... If the reservations display/computer is broken and you don't get the seat you booked; they give a £5 refund for that.

I'd say if you booked a seat on a given service and it was then occupied as a result of people bumped off a cancelled service then a) you have the right to ask someone to move with the support of the Train Manager if you can get them and b) if that doesn't happen then definitely complain!

Worst case of this I saw was on a train from Birmingham to London last year. Due to technical failures, it was half the length it should have been so people had reservations in carriages that weren't actually there. I was lucky in that I got mine (in First Class on promotion) but the Train Manager was double-checking and actually turfed out a few people who were travelling First on an employee pass in favour of a paying customer.
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
    • um5000
    • By um5000 29th Jul 15, 2:04 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    um5000
    Presumably you need a ticket to make a claim - but stations with automatic barriers eat the ticket on arrival at your final destination...
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 29th Jul 15, 3:03 PM
    • 18,662 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Presumably you need a ticket to make a claim - but stations with automatic barriers eat the ticket on arrival at your final destination...
    Originally posted by um5000
    In that situation you should ask the person manning the gates if you can keep the ticket.
    • yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 30th Jul 15, 10:15 AM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    yorkie2
    ...stations with automatic barriers eat the ticket on arrival at your final destination...
    Originally posted by um5000
    Not universally true; it depends on the policy of the Train Company.

If in any doubt, I'd take a photo of it first and then show the ticket to the gateline assistant.
    • hupik
    • By hupik 3rd Aug 15, 1:31 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    hupik
    As per my post on 28th July Virgin have agreed to reissue my voucher once returned to them as a cheque
    • hupik
    • By hupik 14th Aug 15, 12:49 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    hupik
    UPDATE: Voucher was sent to virgin on 3rd August but have heard nothing since, emailed them today to try & find out what's going on
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

1,892Users online

Martin's Twitter