My Graduate (Post-Student) Debt Diary!

Options

Comments

• MrJester
    MrJester Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    >12 Months
    Did I mention I got a bicycle on the cycle2work scheme?

So I am now commuting to work. My butt hurts.. but once I get used to it and legs get stronger for the hills etc should work nicely for me. Currently takes about 35 mins, but I know I can definitely decrease this over time. Think I will have a break tomorrow because my butt seriously needs time to heal haha.

Looking at freecycle, as well as gumtree for furniture for my room. Lots I would like to buy at IKEA, but there's a hell of a lot of IKEA stuff around for free or cheap and can save some £££
  • MrJester
    edited 25 February 2015 at 10:36AM
    Options
    >12 Months
    Sooo

Last night hired van man £20, and picked up a free wardrobe and £10 for a chest of drawers for my room. £30 for the two isn't half bad I think.
    Was going to be spending a lot more at IKEA so I've saved a lot.

Not in love with the chest of drawers but it's functional for the time being. Going to pickup a £22 IKEA desk at weekend, and a £25 bedside table, unless ofcourse in the meantime I find some on freecycle/gumtree.
    Also will be picking up a few bits from IKEA in new stuff, got a strong new room/place new stuff kind of vibe going on.

But to combat it, as in make it less harmful to my wallet, I'll be preparing a bunch of stuff to let one of those eBay tradespeople take away and earn me some money. I'm very good at eBay myself and will keep a hold of any high value items but I have plenty of stuff I would just like to get rid of and don't care how much I get for it, but a bit of money is good so I'll let them pick up stuff and make some money for me.

I'm a big gamer, and I just bought a new game, but as soon as I've completed it I'll re-sell it whilst its still popular so should only cost me £10 tops to have had the pleasure of playing it. I today resigned up to a game rental service which sends me a new game to play one at a time, which costs me £10.99 a month. But I think it's worth it, as it stops me from paying £40-50 for a game when I'll only play it for so long anyway and want to sell it.

Lots of address changing to do this weekend.

Halifax credit card has now began to charge interest, I will still keep it to minimum for now and concentrate on my Bcard (now £100 payment a month)
  • Wantobeasaver
    Options
    Hello :jjust wanted to drop in & say good luck with everything. Am a recent graduate too, although older than you! Live in London as well & it's hard work being frugal...I'm also setting up a holiday fund, but to go to Greece :beer:
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    Hello :jjust wanted to drop in & say good luck with everything. Am a recent graduate too, although older than you! Live in London as well & it's hard work being frugal...I'm also setting up a holiday fund, but to go to Greece :beer:

Thanks! Cool, drop me the link if you have a diary too and will help where I can. :T
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    Lots of address changes going on over the weekend, and generally updating things related. Electoral roll. Changed addr on Noddle too, so everything will all be at my actual living address hopefully by the next time that updates.

I also decided to set my Halifax and COne to just above the minimum payment each month. It wont make a difference to me financially, they're each only 10-15. So I've set them to 15-20 each respectively. I hear this is a good thing for your credit? And just by doing that i'm slightly paying them off more ha.

I got nice stuff for my room at weekend, couple bits from IKEA, its looking nice now and spent £80 odd. Worth it considering I will spend a lot of time in it.

In other news even though I just moved into new place, already beginning the consideration of a next move because my girlfriend is looking to move into the area and so we might live together. We would both likely be much better off and also have our own place, could work well, see what happens.

Happy Monday 'savers.
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    Having a rubbish week with my money! Need to get on eBay tomorrow night pronto and sell lots of the junk I am not using to make some dosh.

Because otherwise I am basically broke after bills come out. Agh!
  • Wantobeasaver
    Wantobeasaver Posts: 97 Forumite
    edited 9 March 2015 at 12:26PM
    Options
    MrJester wrote: »
    Having a rubbish week with my money! Need to get on eBay tomorrow night pronto and sell lots of the junk I am not using to make some dosh.

Because otherwise I am basically broke after bills come out. Agh!

Know the feeling :( hope you manage to ebay some stuff!
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    Know the feeling :( hope you manager to ebay some stuff!

Sometimes it happens, gives you a kick up the butt to realise how easy your spending can go out of control!

Got stuff on eBay and going to do a lot more this weekend. Sold one thing already, £20 in my pocket, doesn't sound much but right now I'm focusing on improving things (and just surviving) for when I have money again.

Bcard has added interest and a over limit charge and its now at 2450 (2400 is the max) and I can't do much about it until more money comes in :(
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MrJester wrote: »
    Lots of address changes going on over the weekend, and generally updating things related. Electoral roll. Changed addr on Noddle too, so everything will all be at my actual living address hopefully by the next time that updates.

I also decided to set my Halifax and COne to just above the minimum payment each month. It wont make a difference to me financially, they're each only 10-15. So I've set them to 15-20 each respectively. I hear this is a good thing for your credit? And just by doing that i'm slightly paying them off more ha.

I got nice stuff for my room at weekend, couple bits from IKEA, its looking nice now and spent £80 odd. Worth it considering I will spend a lot of time in it.

In other news even though I just moved into new place, already beginning the consideration of a next move because my girlfriend is looking to move into the area and so we might live together. We would both likely be much better off and also have our own place, could work well, see what happens.

Happy Monday 'savers.

Sharing with an OH can be very cost effective! Exciting news. Plus you'll be able to take the furniture you bought with you.

Hope eBaying is going well! I've got some expensive designer label clothes on there at the moment that I'm hoping will give me money to add to my savings pot and CC!
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    Sharing with an OH can be very cost effective! Exciting news. Plus you'll be able to take the furniture you bought with you.

Hope eBaying is going well! I've got some expensive designer label clothes on there at the moment that I'm hoping will give me money to add to my savings pot and CC!

It's very unlikely that it will happen now in fact. I'm in my rental until at least August, and I don't think her own finances are in order enough to consider it.
    A lot of my expenditure goes on our relationship, being very much a distant relationship. I've decided to make changes to that, not going to buy train tickets anymore just the bus which is a fraction of the cost yet takes twice as long.

eBaying is going well thanks, few quid here and there for stuff I just want rid of!
    To update I sold my computer, and bought a replacement laptop, leaving me with around £1800 to pay towards debts! I'm waiting until the 20th when pay day comes around, and then I will have this cash and my pay cheque so I'll be in a very advantegous position to decide how much of which debts I'm paying and possibly even add more to it from my own pay.

My relative who lent me for my deposit said I don't have to pay it back, very kind of them but I do plan to pay it back eventually as I don't like to do that but this relative understands I am trying all I can to pay debts back and get in front for once.

Been making meals for work lunches which is saving me between £3-5 a day, and I'm still trying to get into the routine of biking to work to save on travel, it is also quicker for me so makes sense, its just knackering ha! :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure