Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 12th Jan 15, 10:25 AM
    • 526Posts
    • 245Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    MSE News: Asda latest petrol price cut to take its prices under £1.04/litre
    • 12th Jan 15, 10:25 AM
    MSE News: Asda latest petrol price cut to take its prices under £1.04/litre 12th Jan 15 at 10:25 AM
    "If you're planning on filling up your car at Asda today, hold off until tomorrow as it's cutting petrol prices again ..."

Read the full story:

Asda latest petrol price cut to take its prices under £1.04/litre

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • bylromarha
    • By bylromarha 12th Jan 15, 4:53 PM
    • 9,961 Posts
    • 13,249 Thanks
    bylromarha
    • 12th Jan 15, 4:53 PM
    • 12th Jan 15, 4:53 PM
    Glad I held off filling up today :-)
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
    • marlot
    • By marlot 12th Jan 15, 5:56 PM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 3,217 Thanks
    marlot
    • 12th Jan 15, 5:56 PM
    • 12th Jan 15, 5:56 PM
    Its still a rip off. Small independent around here is now below £1/litre.
    • redux
    • By redux 13th Jan 15, 9:44 AM
    • 20,098 Posts
    • 28,208 Thanks
    redux
    • 13th Jan 15, 9:44 AM
    • 13th Jan 15, 9:44 AM
    All fuel is getting cheaper.

Why does the thread title mention only Asda?
    • davetrousers
    • By davetrousers 13th Jan 15, 9:50 AM
    • 5,640 Posts
    • 4,882 Thanks
    davetrousers
    • 13th Jan 15, 9:50 AM
    • 13th Jan 15, 9:50 AM
    Why does the thread title mention only Asda?
    Originally posted by redux
    I think it is because Asda set the price across all of its petrol stations. In this latest cut it is to 103.7 (I think). Whereas, for example, Tesco don't set a blanket price.

• Legocar
    • By Legocar 14th Jan 15, 7:42 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Legocar
    • 14th Jan 15, 7:42 AM
    • 14th Jan 15, 7:42 AM
    Crude oil prices plummet by nearly 57% and the best Asda can offer us is a measly 18% overall reduction....?
    And they still have regional / store-to-store variation!

What about all the food prices they "had to put up due to rising fuel costs" a few years back? When are we going to see them come back down again? Remember when bread was usually less than £1 per loaf? We all do cos it wasn't that long ago.... Some brands are pushing through the £1.50 barrier now and it was all APPARENTLY due to fuel prices....

Once again we've been ripped off!

Fair play to Asda for leading the way on the forecourt but they should all be doing so much more....
  • StellaMan
    • 16th Jan 15, 10:09 AM
    • 16th Jan 15, 10:09 AM
    I have 10p a litre off in Tesco, so thought I'd check out their prices today.

£1.07 a litre here in Stowmarket, but only £1.05 in Ipswich, about 8 or 10 miles down the road !!!

This is on the same day they send me an E:Mail telling me how they will "price match" against Morrisons, Sainsburys, Asda etc, yet they can't even match their own Petrol prices !!!!!
    • thor
    • By thor 17th Jan 15, 8:26 PM
    • 5,308 Posts
    • 1,900 Thanks
    thor
    • 17th Jan 15, 8:26 PM
    • 17th Jan 15, 8:26 PM
    What about all the food prices they "had to put up due to rising fuel costs" a few years back? When are we going to see them come back down again?
    Originally posted by Legocar
    If I could I would have thanked this post a thousand times for pointing out what a bunch of deceivers the supermarkets are.
  • im-lost
    • 18th Jan 15, 12:15 AM
    • 18th Jan 15, 12:15 AM
    Crude oil prices plummet by nearly 57% and the best Asda can offer us is a measly 18% overall reduction....?

What about all the food prices they "had to put up due to rising fuel costs" a few years back? When are we going to see them come back down again? Remember when bread was usually less than £1 per loaf? We all do cos it wasn't that long ago.... Some brands are pushing through the £1.50 barrier now and it was all APPARENTLY due to fuel prices....

Fair play to Asda for leading the way on the forecourt but they should all be doing so much more....
    Because they can't suddenly grow acres of say potatoes to take in to account the decrease in cost of fuel that's built in to the cost and contracts they already have

The same goes for their transport costs, contracts are in place, until they are renewed, they cant reduce the cost

Christ. Use your noodle
    • redux
    • By redux 18th Jan 15, 4:01 AM
    • 20,098 Posts
    • 28,208 Thanks
    redux

When you open your eyes. Prices are changing all the time, some downwards.

I remember quite well the last loaf of bread bought for £1. I had a sandwich yesterday afternoon, and the rest is still in the bread bin.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 18th Jan 15, 6:15 AM
    • 10,914 Posts
    • 17,226 Thanks
    worried jim
    75p a loaf from the co-op and they are the dearest shop around. Get your self to lidl, it costs f ck all, if only they did petrol....

Actually the price of bread in real terms has been coming down since the repeal of the corn laws in the 19th century. Free trade all the way, now is there a charters march I can go on today......
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 18th Jan 15, 10:51 AM
    • 19,749 Posts
    • 12,412 Thanks
    motorguy

You do know that fuel price is made up of product selling price, retailer profit (5p) a static tax charge (57.95p), and VAT at 20%?

So when unleaded was at 132.9p per litre, the product was 47.8p, retailer profit 5p, 57.95p static tax, and 22.15p VAT.

At 104p per litre, the product costs 24p per litre, 57.95p static tax, 5p retailer profit, and 17.4p vat.

I'll leave you to work out the percentage difference between 47.8p and 24p.

And why shouldnt they have regional variation? They are a business you know.

Iceland, two big brand loaves for £1.60.

Anywhere i go now - Tescos, ASDA, local supermarkets all have big brand loaves on at £1.00.

Oh and can you show us exactly where the rising price of bread was put down SOLELY to fuel prices?

Generally Tescos follow with a price drop as do Sainsburys and the other fuel companies.

So in terms of "so much more", what else should they be doing?
    Life has never given me lemons.

It has given me anger issues, anxiety, a love for alcohol and a serious dislike for stupid people, but not lemons.
    • OddballJamie
    • By OddballJamie 19th Jan 15, 11:43 AM
    • 2,589 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    OddballJamie
    Iceland, two big brand loaves for £1.60.

Anywhere i go now - Tescos, ASDA, local supermarkets all have big brand loaves on at £1.00.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Hovis has been 78p in Tesco for the past week.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

108Posts Today

1,851Users online

Martin's Twitter