PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

O/S Daily Wednesday 10th December 2014

Options
O/S Daily Wednesday 10th December 2014

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

Birthday wishes to those celebrating a birthday, hope you have a great day x

Hugs and get well wishes to those that want/need them.

Still dark, it’s been raining and windy since last night, but not so cold, no frost.

DH up and gone to work stupid early. DS1 getting ready for work.

Dinner last night was pizza and chips for the menfolk, I had salad and pizza, chocolate birthday cake for dessert with a glass of bubbles. Had a house full for a while so was nice for DS1 he had mainly money from people, both sisters and their families have bought him a racing driving experience, so he’ll love that. Outlaws gave him his cheque from a savings plan that they set up when he was born and it matured as he was 18 – it was a good chunk of money – he’s very lucky, so we need to get that stashed somewhere with a decent interest rate – I’ll be researching that over the next few days/weeks.

Only working until lunchtime today, then will do the normal chores, I’m going to get another load in the WM before I go into work this morning. Hopefully then there won’t be loads to do on my days off, as I need to organise and cook food for DS1’s get together on Saturday evening.

Take care x

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

I was woken early with thunder and lightening, very wet and windy here again, hope everyone stays safe today. Chaos on the roads here yesterday as a tree fell across the major road from here to Glasgow, took some people nearly 3 hours to get home, DD was on the train so was fine.

No washing this morning, there should be a full load when I get home from work, I will put it on then. DW wasn't full enough either, not many jobs to do this morning!

Chap coming to look at the boiler again, it keeps cutting out and needs to be re-set. This is his second visit and the boiler is only a couple of months old. Hope it can be fixed properly this time as I can't leave it set to come on whilst we are away.

Busy day at work again, this is just about the busiest time of year so everyone going flat out.

Hope you are all well, take care. XX
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    christmas_music_zps0a5641a5.jpg
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Away in a manger
    No crib for His bed
    The little Lord Jesus
    Laid down His sweet head
    The stars in the bright sky
    Looked down where He lay
    The little Lord Jesus
    Asleep on the hay :xmassmile
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Love hearing small kids sing this at their Nativity play :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] :santa2: [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]In my calendar – a creepy-faced elf :rudolf:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]redruby lol @ your brother :D People threaten these things but never do it, it's hilarious that you actually did. Though probably not for him :rotfl: :rotfl:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Butterfly Brain :shocked: Hope you're fixed and dry by now xx[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The hygienist appointment was OK yesterday, though I was lying there thinking “please let me go, please let me go NOW” and I had my usual telling off for smoking, lol, but she said my teeth were fine. I had a good sandblasting and am now all polished ready for Christmas :D How did you get on Essex-girl? [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I bumped into E and Little Mate in town, he was in his pushchair and had the blanket I made for him when he was born, I was really chuffed that he was still using it :D Town looked very festive and wasn't too busy (thankfully – I hate crowds), if I had more time I would've wandered around for longer. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm having problems crocheting with black yarn, I can't see what I'm doing :D The stitches seem to merge together and I can't see where to put the hook. I've tried having a bright light overhead and even putting a piece of white paper on my lap and working as close to possible to it but I go cross-eyed and it all blurs into a blob after a few minutes :D I NEED to make a black snowman hat and a penguin. Yes, not just a want – it's a need. lol[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Today I will mostly be swearing at yarn :smiley:

:snow_laug
    [/FONT]
    Bulletproof
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Morning all

Horrible day , it sounds extremely windy

Off to work soon finish at 4 today

Butterfly brain hope it's all sorted it seems common at the moment 3 people told me yesterday they had boiler trouble and someone had water running down the walls . Glad your Plumber was quick off the mark 👍

Redruby I can't believe your brother , how can he treat your mum like that :mad: and his son :mad:
    Good on you for putting your foot down :T. I've have threatened to put DDs stuff in the bin if they don't sort it , once or twice they have been digging in the outside bin to retrieve their stuff :D
    Right off I go have a good day everyone xx
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    edited 10 December 2014 at 8:58PM
    Options
    tru wrote: »
    christmas_music_zps0a5641a5.jpg
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]redruby lol @ your brother :D People threaten these things but never do it, it's hilarious that you actually did. Though probably not for him :rotfl: :rotfl:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

Thanks Tru, the worst bit is I dont even feel guilty :rotfl:

Morning all,

Not so cold here this morning but we are meant to get gales etc later on today. I have got a slight sore throat which needs to go away ! mind you i would rather have it now than at Christmas.

The mothership had the dinner all prepared when we got in yesterday it was very nice to come in to it all done. Today we have a bit of brisket which I will out in the sc and she will do the veg and spuds etc.

I did 61 xmas lunches yesterday I was very tired when I got in, I think another 40 today and a conference for 30 so another bust day ahead.

Will put a wash on before I go out and get mum to hang it on the airer.

Have good days all xx
  • carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all

Had a lovely day in London but was a bit disappointed how few stalls along the embankment.

Photography exhibition of wounded soldiers by Bryan Adams in Somerset House very interesting and thought provoking too.

Saw the setting up for premiere of film about Stephen hawking Leicester Sq too.

Off to poinsettia nursery
    today, or as my mum used to call them,Pointysetters. You can walk around the nursery and see all the different colours, it's just lovely.

Hugs where needed for all, keep warm and safe for those where the wild weather is.
    Carolbee
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good Morning all, wet'n'windy here in north Kent. U3A Christmas party this afternoon, so that should be fun :).Sis-in-law from Faversham coming this morning for coffee so I may make some cakes. I'm glad I don't have to trek around the shops for anything My joints are playing up in the damp weather.Hope you all keep warm and dry
    Cheers chums JackieO xxx
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm tired this morning, I "needed" to finish the book I was reading last night so I have only myself to blame. Yesterday at work was one of those days when you hardly touch what you plan, so back to it today.

Talking of work, DH's employer e-mailed yesterday saying that as a thank you they would be increasing the staff discount by an extra 10%, for one day only (today). Very generous, I don't think, thank you Marks and Spensive, as DD called them when she was little. It's not even on food!

It means I have changed the plans I had to go to MK later this week. I'll go after work because I know DD wants some pyjamas.

Not a lot OS happening, I think we'll have a fry up when I get in, we've got bacon in the freezer.

Have a good day.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,165 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning All

I was woken early with thunder and lightening, very wet and windy here again, hope everyone stays safe today. Chaos on the roads here yesterday as a tree fell across the major road from here to Glasgow, took some people nearly 3 hours to get home, DD was on the train so was fine.

Didn't read about this Camelot - glad I got down on Monday afternoon. Hoping to get back home tomorrow, should have been today but am avoiding the 'weather bomb' as I'm sure it'll be more chaos.

Lightning here too - driving on the M80 from Glasgow to Stirling (where I work) the sky lit up twice with very long lightning forks. No thunder yet.

Office is a little cold which is very unusual. Got some boring paperwork to get through, it's so de-energising. Still got a sort of cold hangover which I can't shake off. Went to bed yesterday afternoon at about 4p.m. and didn't wake for 12 hours. Have taken a couple of paracetamol to see if that helps.

Breakfast was a cup of coffee... not really hungry so will wait til lunch to eat. The food at the uni cafe isn't the most inspiring but it is hearty.

Hope everyone keeps warm and well.
  • hilstep2000
    Options
    Morning all,
    Cold and sunny in Hastings today.
    DD is coming this morning with DGS. She was really upset yesterday after not getting a secondment for Uni. This is the third time she's done it, and she got down to the last three this time. She wants to do her nursing degree(she is currently a HCA). She is going for another job this afternoon. Fingers crossed.

Had leftover curry last night. Not sure what to have tonight.

Had a lovely weekend with DGD. We made Xmas biscuits and put up the tree. She is so excited about Christmas, I am sure she will burst before Christmas!:rotfl:

Have a great day all!
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport