PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Northern Rock - 23bn borrowed so far and rising...

Options
Good grief:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7073556.stm

Northern Rock has borrowed almost £23bn in emergency funding from the Bank of England, the latest figures from the central bank indicate. That is roughly £730 for every UK taxpayer, since the Treasury has pledged to guarantee the money given to the troubled mortgage provider.

How much more money is going to be pumped into this mess?
--
Every pound less borrowed (to buy a house) is more than two pounds less to repay and more than three pounds less to earn, over the course of a typical mortgage.

Comments

• alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    Options
    Don`t know, but if anyone is daft enough to still have any money with them they should withdraw it fast.
    They can`t be trusted and nor can the government.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    !!!!!!? wrote: »
    Good grief:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7073556.stm

Northern Rock has borrowed almost £23bn in emergency funding from the Bank of England, the latest figures from the central bank indicate. That is roughly £730 for every UK taxpayer, since the Treasury has pledged to guarantee the money given to the troubled mortgage provider.

How much more money is going to be pumped into this mess?

Its ok we will bail out the banks with the amazing stealth tax, inflation to the rescue. Get busy printing those notes.
  • free4440273
    free4440273 Posts: 38,438 Forumite
    Options
    ^"Good grief" Indeed :eek: What - exactly - do the BofE know that the rest us of don't. Only time will tell...oh, and another few Billion :rolleyes:
    BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? :shocked: OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!

THE KILLERS :cool:

THE PUNISHER :dance: MATURE CHEDDAR ADDICT:cool:
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    They are borrowing money - like NR normally do - but, as they cannot borrow from other banks, they use the BofE.

£23 Billion represents 230,000 mortgages of £100K. Mortgages that are secured, in the most part, by houses that have some value.

I don't know why people should withdraw their savings as the Governmement have pledged that the monies are SAFE.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • WTF?_2
    WTF?_2 Posts: 4,592 Forumite
    Options
    They are borrowing money - like NR normally do - but, as they cannot borrow from other banks, they use the BofE.

£23 Billion represents 230,000 mortgages of £100K. Mortgages that are secured, in the most part, by houses that have some value.

I don't know why people should withdraw their savings as the Governmement have pledged that the monies are SAFE.

GG

Yes - they'll just print the money and we'll all suffer financially from the debilitating effects of monetary inflation.

Good old risk spreading - wait, that's what got us into this mess in the first place :mad:
    --
    Every pound less borrowed (to buy a house) is more than two pounds less to repay and more than three pounds less to earn, over the course of a typical mortgage.
  • free4440273
    free4440273 Posts: 38,438 Forumite
    Options
    ^"Good grief" Indeed :eek: What - exactly - do the BofE know that the rest us of don't. Only time will tell...oh, and another few Billion :rolleyes:

I think I heard the bbc saying it has the potential to reach 40 Billion: staggering. but it's only money: I wonder what this teaches joe public:rolleyes:
    BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? :shocked: OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!

THE KILLERS :cool:

THE PUNISHER :dance: MATURE CHEDDAR ADDICT:cool:
  • Guy_Montag
    Guy_Montag Posts: 2,291 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

GG
    I wish I could borrow £23B to buy gold. After all gold has some value, doesn't it? Just think as long as I keep buying £10B worth of gold a month it will keep rising in value, won't it? But what happens when I can't borrow any more to sustain the gold market?
    "Mrs. Pench, you've won the car contest, would you like a triumph spitfire or 3000 in cash?" He smiled.
    Mrs. Pench took the money. "What will you do with it all? Not that it's any of my business," he giggled.
    "I think I'll become an alcoholic," said Betty.
  • jamie304
    jamie304 Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    Thats 3% of the UKs GDP :eek:
  • fc123
    fc123 Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    Options
    Is it propping up the market?? I don't know much about these things, but IF NR was left to deal with the fallout from it's own business model...that has now gone wrong.....what would happen??........if I made errors in my business , I would have to sort them myself or fall on my sword.

Does this help from BOE artificially prop up the market too??

would love an "expert" view.
  • Guy_Montag
    Guy_Montag Posts: 2,291 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Looks like between Dec 2006 & Sept 2007 roughly 100bn has been lent. I presume at least 23bn has come from NR.

http://www.creditaction.org.uk/debtstats.htm
    "Mrs. Pench, you've won the car contest, would you like a triumph spitfire or 3000 in cash?" He smiled.
    Mrs. Pench took the money. "What will you do with it all? Not that it's any of my business," he giggled.
    "I think I'll become an alcoholic," said Betty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure