PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Just the weather for stew

Now that it's looking and feeling rather autumnal outside, can anyone point me in the direction of a basic but hearty stew (or casserole) recipe?

Ta muchly.

Comments

16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    here there are some good beef ones.

here there are some good lamb ones, and

here there are some good chicken ones.

hth,

• hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    My butcher has a special offer on at the moment, £4.98 for 5lb of lamb chump chops. More meat on them than neck, split them into three lots, made lamb stew today, onions, carrots, parsnip,turnip and potatoes, froze the other two lots for a few weeks time.
    First thing my kids said when they came in after school, "Oh lovely, stew!"
    Not a lot left on tonights plates!
    :)
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Homemade soup is also great once the weather turns nippy. During the winter we have "Soup of the week season". From Oct until Mar I have to make one soup a week without duplicating a recipe. They can be really filling. French Onion is delicious with a slice of french stick dropped in the top, covered in grated cheese and popped under the grill.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,148 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That sounds nice MBTH. Are you going to share with us? You could run a weekly soup column
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    My favourite winter warmer soup is apple & parsnip. It's yummy.

This is my favourite "casserole". I put it in " " because it's not a casserole in the traditional sense.
    Sausage & apple "casserole"

You need:
    Sausages - Any type. Whatever your favourites are/what's on BOGOF
    Apples - Any. I use Braeburns or Coxs. Allow 1/2 to 1 apple per person, cut into wedges.
    Onion - red or white. Again cut into wedges & allow 1/2 onion-ish per person
    Chicken oxo made up into about 2 pints with big spoonful of wholegrain mustard & another of cranberry sauce stirred into it. Looks vile.

Use big/deep frying pan or casserole dish for this.

Fry off the sausages. When nearly cooked add the onion wedges, then the apple wedges. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes then pour the stock/mustard/cranberry mix over the top. Let it cook til the stock reduces down to a nice sticky gravy.

I serve it in giant yorkshire puds.
  • Nickynoo1
    Nickynoo1 Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was going to have sausage and mash tonight. Think I might try this instead!
    thanks Lucie

Nickynoo
    16/06/16 £11446 30/12/16 £9661.49
    01/08/17 £7643.69
  • Lucie_2
    Just call me Delia!!   ;)

It's really quick to make (especially if you have it with those frozen giant yorkshires that only take 4 minutes to heat up), no faffing about with fiddly chopping of ingredients & you can make it all in one pot.
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    that does sound good and I have most of those ingredients - do you think it would work with pork mince instead of sausages if I browned it off first?
    Blah
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Here's a challenge then - anyone got any vegetarian casserole recipes that can be done in a slow cooker?

And... for extra bonus points, no Quorn please as I'm allergic to it. Any other meat substitutes are fine.

Waiting hopefully and dusting the cobwebs yet again off my Prestige crockpot - it's all I ever do to it! (Given up trying to make my husband turn into an ex-veggie :().
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Lucie_2
    Pork mince should work OK. I would probably make it into meatballs first & brown them off. Thinking about it....pork chops would probably be quite nice too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure