Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • By 16011996 12th Oct 04, 8:15 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 12th Oct 04, 8:15 PM
    Re: Just the weather for stew
    • 12th Oct 04, 8:15 PM
    here there are some good beef ones.

here there are some good lamb ones, and

here there are some good chicken ones.

hth,

• hilstep2000
    • By hilstep2000 12th Oct 04, 9:05 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 17,709 Thanks
    hilstep2000
    • 12th Oct 04, 9:05 PM
    • 12th Oct 04, 9:05 PM
    My butcher has a special offer on at the moment, 4.98 for 5lb of lamb chump chops. More meat on them than neck, split them into three lots, made lamb stew today, onions, carrots, parsnip,turnip and potatoes, froze the other two lots for a few weeks time.
    First thing my kids said when they came in after school, "Oh lovely, stew!"
    Not a lot left on tonights plates!
    • MATH
    • By MATH 12th Oct 04, 10:35 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    • 12th Oct 04, 10:35 PM
    • 12th Oct 04, 10:35 PM
    Homemade soup is also great once the weather turns nippy. During the winter we have "Soup of the week season". From Oct until Mar I have to make one soup a week without duplicating a recipe. They can be really filling. French Onion is delicious with a slice of french stick dropped in the top, covered in grated cheese and popped under the grill.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 12th Oct 04, 11:45 PM
    • 20,531 Posts
    • 34,268 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 12th Oct 04, 11:45 PM
    • 12th Oct 04, 11:45 PM
    That sounds nice MBTH. Are you going to share with us? You could run a weekly soup column
  • Lucie
    • 13th Oct 04, 12:28 PM
    • 13th Oct 04, 12:28 PM
    My favourite winter warmer soup is apple & parsnip. It's yummy.

This is my favourite "casserole". I put it in " " because it's not a casserole in the traditional sense.
    Sausage & apple "casserole"

You need:
    Sausages - Any type. Whatever your favourites are/what's on BOGOF
    Apples - Any. I use Braeburns or Coxs. Allow 1/2 to 1 apple per person, cut into wedges.
    Onion - red or white. Again cut into wedges & allow 1/2 onion-ish per person
    Chicken oxo made up into about 2 pints with big spoonful of wholegrain mustard & another of cranberry sauce stirred into it. Looks vile.

Use big/deep frying pan or casserole dish for this.

Fry off the sausages. When nearly cooked add the onion wedges, then the apple wedges. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes then pour the stock/mustard/cranberry mix over the top. Let it cook til the stock reduces down to a nice sticky gravy.

I serve it in giant yorkshire puds.

• Nickynoo1
    • By Nickynoo1 13th Oct 04, 2:48 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Nickynoo1
    • 13th Oct 04, 2:48 PM
    • 13th Oct 04, 2:48 PM
    I was going to have sausage and mash tonight. Think I might try this instead!
    thanks Lucie

Nickynoo
  • Lucie
    • 13th Oct 04, 5:21 PM
    • 13th Oct 04, 5:21 PM
    Just call me Delia!! !

It's really quick to make (especially if you have it with those frozen giant yorkshires that only take 4 minutes to heat up), no faffing about with fiddly chopping of ingredients & you can make it all in one pot.
    • vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 13th Oct 04, 6:53 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo
    • 13th Oct 04, 6:53 PM
    • 13th Oct 04, 6:53 PM
    that does sound good and I have most of those ingredients - do you think it would work with pork mince instead of sausages if I browned it off first?
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 13th Oct 04, 7:01 PM
    • 10,239 Posts
    • 16,854 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    Here's a challenge then - anyone got any vegetarian casserole recipes that can be done in a slow cooker?

And... for extra bonus points, no Quorn please as I'm allergic to it. Any other meat substitutes are fine.

Waiting hopefully and dusting the cobwebs yet again off my Prestige crockpot - it's all I ever do to it! (Given up trying to make my husband turn into an ex-veggie ).
  • Lucie
    Pork mince should work OK. I would probably make it into meatballs first & brown them off. Thinking about it....pork chops would probably be quite nice too.
    • Nickynoo1
    • By Nickynoo1 13th Oct 04, 7:11 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Nickynoo1
    Let it cook til the stock reduces down to a nice sticky gravy

Not much of a cook myself really, but do I cook fast to reduced or let it simmer. Sorry if it sounds a bit stupid but i just dont know.

Doh!

Nickynoo
    • vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 13th Oct 04, 8:33 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo
    Here's a challenge then - anyone got any vegetarian casserole recipes that can be done in a slow cooker?

And... for extra bonus points, no Quorn please as I'm allergic to it. !Any other meat substitutes are fine.

Waiting hopefully and dusting the cobwebs yet again off my Prestige crockpot - it's all I ever do to it! !(Given up trying to make my husband turn into an ex-veggie ).
    I have a very thick soup that i make which is totally veggie

half a white cabbage shredded
    couple of large carrots peeled and sliced
    one large onion peeled and thinly sliced
    couple of cloves of garlic - peeled and chopped or pressed
    pinch of paprika
    can of tinned tomatoes (value ones with any hard bits cut off are fine but avoid pre chopped ones)
    veggie stock cube / spoonful of marmite

plonk everything in crockpot and add water to cover - probably about a pint (can do this in a pan on the hob too)

simmer for however long you can be bothered to wait and certainly until the carrots are done

you can blend this down if you want or leave it chunky

celery also works well in it as do most herbs and additional flavourings

in addition this is syn free on slimming world either original or green plan

oviously you can add any other root veggies but not all are syn free and some may need longer cooking times
    • vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 13th Oct 04, 8:34 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo
    Pork mince should work OK. I would probably make it into meatballs first & brown them off. Thinking about it....pork chops would probably be quite nice too.
    just as i was looking at the mince I thought "I know I'll make it into balls" prolly gonna chop some onion into it too - due for an original day on slimming world tomorrow so might try it then
    • Glad
    • By Glad 13th Oct 04, 8:47 PM
    • 17,957 Posts
    • 39,913 Thanks
    Glad

And... for extra bonus points, no Quorn please as I'm allergic to it. !Any other meat substitutes are fine.

Waiting hopefully and dusting the cobwebs yet again off my Prestige crockpot - it's all I ever do to it! !(Given up trying to make my husband turn into an ex-veggie ).
    There's lots of slow cooker recipes HERE that we put together a couple of weeks ago ;D
    • Glad
    • By Glad 13th Oct 04, 8:54 PM
    • 17,957 Posts
    • 39,913 Thanks
    Glad
    I always make stew in the pressure cooker, it makes the meat really tender
    stewing beef
    potatos
    carrots
    turnip
    onions
    2 oxo
    and water
    I freeze it too for quick lunches on cold days
    and it always tastes much better after being reheated
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 13th Oct 04, 9:40 PM
    • 10,239 Posts
    • 16,854 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    There's lots of slow cooker recipes HERE that we put together a couple of weeks ago !;D
    Thanks Glad, just spotted a veggie one posted by Rach that looks promising - and easy!

Next question (sorry :-[) those packs of dried lentils and beans - do you just bung 'em in, or do they have to be soaked overnight, boiled for half a week, or what?
    • Nickynoo1
    • By Nickynoo1 13th Oct 04, 11:06 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Nickynoo1
    bogof babe,

ithink you soak the beans overnight and just bung in lentils. I'm sure that's what it said on the frugal website. Could be the other way round tho. Sorry dont know how to do links so i'll just go and check.

Nickynoo
    • MATH
    • By MATH 13th Oct 04, 11:31 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    Warning: When Slo-Cooking using Kidney Beans only use tinned ones. The dried ones you soak have some sort of chemical or somat in them that isn't removed in the cooking and can make you jip :'(
    • Glad
    • By Glad 14th Oct 04, 10:18 AM
    • 17,957 Posts
    • 39,913 Thanks
    Glad

Thanks Glad, just spotted a veggie one posted by Rach that looks promising - and easy! !

Next question (sorry :-[) those packs of dried lentils and beans - do you just bung 'em in, or do they have to be soaked overnight, boiled for half a week, or what?
    always best reading instructions before you buy,
    some need soaking some don't
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,084Posts Today

7,299Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin