Is money and a student loan really a big deal?

Options

Comments

• Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cycrow wrote: »
    Why not ?
    if theres no money, then food doesn't cost anything, so it is free.

its actually how it works in the Star Trek universe.
    althou if it ever happened for real, it would take a very long time, i dont see anything like this being possible in my lifetime

Well I half agree, I thought it sounded like the OP had watched StarTrek for their opinion on this one too. However, although there is no money per se there are still replicator rations / credits which basically amount to the same thing, and to get a nice place to live you have to work for starfleet basically.

OP - start a company called starfleet - you may be onto something big ;)
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • cleverinvestor
    Options

All fiat currency is worthless, its bit of paper with no backing, you haveno control over it as its all managed by the big banks who con the averagepunter.

Unfortunately you need it to survive, its one big game where you exchangeyour work time for money in exchange for food and shelter.

If you have anything left over you can treat yourself to some fancy capitaliststuff that you don’t really need. Thus make yourself believe you are doing wellfor yourself

It sounds to me that you just need to keep off the "system" asmuch as possible. I have a full timejob as I need the currency to keep a shelter over my head, however I also workon a farm at the weekends. In exchange Iget seasonal fruit and veg in exchange. Ifyou can get yourself in a situation where you can exchange your time for foodand shelter, thats all you need.
  • dac123
    dac123 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    It's a basic cost and return calculation. If having a degree means you can earn more than it costs you to get that degree, then it's worth doing. How you fund it is then up to you, based on your particular circumstances.

Probably a better bet than polishing your ipad and hoping it will buy you dinner.

Thanks for that, and from my cost and return calculation I have decided that I was right in the first place as the return would be nowhere near the cost of getting the degree.

I am going to keep working and just save to study part-time.
    It's more flexible.
  • dac123
    Options

All fiat currency is worthless, its bit of paper with no backing, you haveno control over it as its all managed by the big banks who con the averagepunter.

Unfortunately you need it to survive, its one big game where you exchangeyour work time for money in exchange for food and shelter.

If you have anything left over you can treat yourself to some fancy capitaliststuff that you don’t really need. Thus make yourself believe you are doing wellfor yourself

It sounds to me that you just need to keep off the "system" asmuch as possible. I have a full timejob as I need the currency to keep a shelter over my head, however I also workon a farm at the weekends. In exchange Iget seasonal fruit and veg in exchange. Ifyou can get yourself in a situation where you can exchange your time for foodand shelter, thats all you need.

VERY TRUE, At least I know the food I have has been earned and not borrowed.
  • imoneyop
    imoneyop Posts: 970 Forumite
    Options
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    repayment threshold is over 21,000

Not according to HMRC http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payerti/forms-updates/rates-thresholds.htm#5 unless I am missing something.
  • dac123
    Options
    I would be asking you, what on earth makes you think just getting a degree would help?

What type of career do you want to go in to?

There are very few where I would say a degree was essential, except things like Doctor, Dentist, School Teacher.

Yeah, I noticed that and nothing is stopping somebody from studying part-time and gaining experience in these areas while working.
  • dac123
    Options

I think from my own calculations together with the above that I made the right decision for MYSELF not to go to university but to work full-time and attempt part-time study instead however student loans may still be a good idea for some people who may find the return works out a lot better than the cost of getting a degree such as doctors as somebody mentioned above who may need a degree and find the return rewarding.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    imoneyop wrote: »
    Not according to HMRC http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payerti/forms-updates/rates-thresholds.htm#5 unless I am missing something.

the new loan scheme that started in 2012 means repayments will start over 21,000

the 1998 onwards scheme has the lower 16,000 repayment threshaold
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

it seems odd that something that is essential for survival has no value
  • imoneyop
    imoneyop Posts: 970 Forumite
    Options
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    the new loan scheme that started in 2012 means repayments will start over 21,000

the 1998 onwards scheme has the lower 16,000 repayment threshaold

Thanks - said I might be missing something - I've no real interest in student loans as I'm sure the rules will have changed by the time my kids go to university, so just went on what HMRC said.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure