🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Is money and a student loan really a big deal?

Options
dac123
dac123 Posts: 24 Forumite
edited 6 February 2014 at 2:08PM in Loans

I am a guy aged 25 and when I left school I decided that I didn't want to go to university to avoid all the student debt and the chance I could fail a degree together with student debt put me off.

I never take loans and don't like debt and even tried to pay for part-time university myself.

However

After several dead end jobs and now at the age of 25 nowhere nearer a degree than when I left school I have began to look at things differently.

What if debt and money is just paper and numbers when I could get a maximum student loan and a degree which I could use to get a great job and a better life. I came to this idea after I read about a theory that.

IN FUTURE ALL MONEY WILL BE WRITTEN OFF AND TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENT WILL MEAN THAT PEOPLE WON'T USE MONEY, THEY WILL JUST WORK TO MAINTAIN THE TECHNOLOGY THAT SUSTAINS EXISTENCE

I.E In future a degree will still exist and money will not and if I avoided university to avoid debt..........Then ive done it for nothing.

Comments

• redcard
    redcard Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Options
    I think you need to work out how far in the future this change is going to happen, then plan accordingly. Is is something you saw on Battlestar Gallactica?

Anyway, I think you're confusing money / income with cash.
    Hope over Fear. #VoteYes
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dac123 wrote: »

I am a guy aged 25 and when I left school I decided that I didn't want to go to university to avoid all the student debt and the chance I could fail a degree together with student debt put me off.

I never take loans and don't like debt and even tried to pay for part-time university myself.

However

After several dead end jobs and now at the age of 25 nowhere nearer a degree than when I left school I have began to look at things differently.

What if debt and money is just paper and numbers when I could get a maximum student loan and a degree which I could use to get a great job and a better life. I came to this idea after I read about a theory that.

IN FUTURE ALL MONEY WILL BE WRITTEN OFF AND TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENT WILL MEAN THAT PEOPLE WON'T USE MONEY, THEY WILL JUST WORK TO MAINTAIN THE TECHNOLOGY THAT SUSTAINS EXISTENCE

I.E In future a degree will still exist and money will not and if I avoided university to avoid debt..........Then ive done it for nothing.

I won't make a decision on getting a degree or indeed on any aspect of your life, on such nonsense.
  • imoneyop
    imoneyop Posts: 970 Forumite
    Options

:rotfl:

Yeah OK.

Back in the real world people will still need money to buy their food - or will "THE TECHNOLOGY THAT SUSTAINS EXISTENCE" feed them for free?
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    I've got some tin hats for sale - would you like to buy one?
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • dac123
    dac123 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Okay, but im making a point about the short-term. Do you think it is such a big deal to avoid student debt for the sake of money if you are to achieve a degree which could make a big change to a persons life?
    Is a degree more important than debt or debt more important than a degree?

A student loan could be seen by some people as a grant as it doesn't need to be paid back unless you are earning a large amount.

I could work and pay for university part-time but am I only wasting my time to avoid debt?
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    imoneyop wrote: »
    :rotfl:

Yeah OK.

Back in the real world people will still need money to buy their food - or will "THE TECHNOLOGY THAT SUSTAINS EXISTENCE" feed them for free?

Why not ?
    if theres no money, then food doesn't cost anything, so it is free.

its actually how it works in the Star Trek universe.
    althou if it ever happened for real, it would take a very long time, i dont see anything like this being possible in my lifetime
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's a basic cost and return calculation. If having a degree means you can earn more than it costs you to get that degree, then it's worth doing. How you fund it is then up to you, based on your particular circumstances.

Probably a better bet than polishing your ipad and hoping it will buy you dinner.
  • hellokitty08
    hellokitty08 Posts: 1,878 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I would be asking you, what on earth makes you think just getting a degree would help?

What type of career do you want to go in to?

There are very few where I would say a degree was essential, except things like Doctor, Dentist, School Teacher.
    Debt free since July 2013! Woo hoo! The bank actually laughed when I said I have come in to cancel my overdraft.
  • imoneyop
    imoneyop Posts: 970 Forumite
    Options
    A student loan could be seen by some people as a grant as it doesn't need to be paid back unless you are earning a large amount.

The repayment threshold is about £16k - you're not exactly setting your sights high are you if you're thinking that at your age, after getting your degree you won't be earning that.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    imoneyop wrote: »
    The repayment threshold is about £16k - you're not exactly setting your sights high are you if you're thinking that at your age, after getting your degree you won't be earning that.

repayment threshold is over 21,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family