MSE News: Been affected by London's Tube strike? You won't get ticket refunds

"Passengers hit by Tube delays and cancellations during this week's strike can't get a refund..."
Read the full story:

Been affected by London's Tube strike? You won't get ticket refunds

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• So can you claim a refund from the unions?
  • MS1950
    MS1950 Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    MSE_Helen wrote: »
    "Passengers hit by Tube delays and cancellations during this week's strike can't get a refund..."
    Read the full story:

Been affected by London's Tube strike? You won't get ticket refunds

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

It's a bit ironic that the refund procedure for 'standard' delays (i.e. not caused by strike action) is:

"With Tube and London Overground claims, you'll get a voucher which can be redeemed at Tube and Overground stations",

when the current strike is about the planned closure of ticket offices....
  • Mishomeister
    Mishomeister Posts: 1,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I strongly disagree that the delay is out of their control. It was in their control to either satisfy the demands of the strikers or to recruit people who will not strike over their fantastic reward packages(such as £30,000 salary for cashiers or a free travelcard for a partner)

I wish there could be someone who could organize a massive court case against TFL. I would be willing to contribute towards legal costs hence if there were thousands of people suing together cost per person would be minimal.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Mishomeister, I see you have chosen to ignore my reply to your other thread.

You knew full well that a strike was planned, yet you still went ahead and bought a weekly ticket knowing that service would be restricted for some of that time.

Tell us again why you think you should be compensated when the service you were likely to receive was clear when you made your purchase?
  • Mishomeister
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Mishomeister, I see you have chosen to ignore my reply to your other thread.

You knew full well that a strike was planned, yet you still went ahead and bought a weekly ticket knowing that service would be restricted for some of that time.

Tell us again why you think you should be compensated when the service you were likely to receive was clear when you made your purchase?

a) It has not been made 100% clear by TFL the strikes will definitely go ahead.
    b) Yes I did buy a travelcard. Yes I did feel it will save me money comparing to PAYG. The travelcard however did not provide me with the full value of my money as it would when there is no strike.

I am not trying to insist that TFL should refund 50% of the ticket price however 20% would be reasonable.
  • wealdroam
    a) It has not been made 100% clear by TFL the strikes will definitely go ahead.
    b) Yes I did buy a travelcard. Yes I did feel it will save me money comparing to PAYG. The travelcard however did not provide me with the full value of my money as it would when there is no strike.

I am not trying to insist that TFL should refund 50% of the ticket price however 20% would be reasonable.

20% refund?

That's significantly more that two days worth of travel... remember, it is a seven day ticket you bought.

The strike is only due to last two days, and during those two days buses, trams, national rail, river buses and DLR are still running.

OK, it must be inconvenient without the tube, but I'll say it again... you knew this inconvenience was coming when you bought your ticket.

Even if we ignore that last sentence, and we ignore the fact that the strike is not TfL's fault, and bear in mind that buses, trams, national rail, river buses and DLR are still running, then I would suggest to you that a refund of around 5% would be more appropriate.
  • Mishomeister
    edited 5 February 2014 at 10:36PM
    wealdroam wrote: »
    20% refund?

Even if we ignore that last sentence, and we ignore the fact that the strike is not TfL's fault

Why do you say the strike is not TFL's fault?

Do I give the money directly to Tube Drivers?

No, I pay huge fees to TFL and by doing so I am honoring my part of the service contract by paying.

TFL don't care where did I get the money from neither would they care if I didn't have money. Why should I care of their reasons?

Could TFL avoid train delays if there was a storm? No they couldn't as they have no control over weather issues. Therefore here your statement about non TFL's fault would be applicable.

Has TFL done everything to avoid strike to happen? No they haven't.
    I understand that the main issue of the strike is because Tube drivers do not want to be working in the nigh time.
    TFL could just recruit people to works at night shifts all the time.
    This would mean existing staff continuing as it is and also more people getting jobs.
    If the things were done this or any other way satisfying workers the strike would've never happened.
    It is therefore TFL's fault that the tube is not functioning propertly.

If you were to buy something online from say Homebase and this was never delivered or delivered broken to you would expect Homebase to refund your money, wouldn't you? Even if it was courier company fault you would not care as your contract was with Homebase.

So the only difference here is that TFL is a monopolist and people like myself have little or no alternative to it.
    If my mobile stopped working for 3 days two weeks in a row I wouldn't give a sh*t about the reason why this has happened and would've just switched to another company. This is not however the case with TFL.
  • wealdroam
    No, I pay huge fees to TFL and by doing so I am honoring my part of the service contract by paying.
    How many times do I have to say "you knew you were buying a reduced service when you bought your ticket".
    Has TFL done everything to avoid strike to happen? No they haven't.
    I understand that the main issue of the strike is because Tube drivers do not want to be working in the nigh time.
    TFL could just recruit people to works at night shifts all the time.
    Oh... I thought the main issue was job losses.

Although not my newspaper of choice, here is how The Independent described it today:
    The two-day strike was called by The National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport workers (RMT) and the Transport Salaried Staffs' Association (TSSA) unions to protest against job losses and plans to close manned ticket offices as part of the modernisation of the 151-year-old network.
    Surely an employer would be crazy to hire extra staff when their intention is to reduce the number of staff?

It is therefore TFL's fault that the tube is not functioning propertly.
    If you say so.
    I don't agree, but even if we accept your point of view, why do you still think you deserve a 20% refund?
    If you were to buy something online from say Homebase and this was never delivered or delivered broken to you would expect Homebase to refund your money, wouldn't you? Even if it was courier company fault you would not care as your contract was with Homebase.
    If you were to buy a table from Homebase and at the time of purchase they said "oh, it only has three legs but still the same price". You respond with "that's OK, I'll take it".
    You then have no reason to complain about it.

Because that is exactly what you have done when you bought your ticket knowing that there would be a reduced service but accepted the purchase price.
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 February 2014 at 11:53PM
    Could you sue Boris for breaking and election promise?
  • haynick
    haynick Posts: 521 Forumite
    Use Boris?
    No he is useless!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business