🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Pilot but dont think that = Money, I need your help.

Options

Comments

• Snaggles
    Snaggles Posts: 19,503 Forumite
    Options
    lol you been on the happy pills this morning???

I think I inhaled too much toilet duck when I was cleaning the bathroom earlier! :o
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."
    :smileyhea
  • rayday2
    rayday2 Posts: 3,960 Forumite
    Options
    Wow,

Thanks for your replies already. Ok, I will go and make a cup of tea, then read that post, and give you more details.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

ps the clouds are fantastic and while im flying I forget about all this debt, its a great excape, sadly though what goes up must come down!

I hope you mean down in a controlled manner :p;)
  • Pilot_in_Debt
    Options
    Hi,

Ok here follows my SOA.

Thank you for taking the time to read all this,

Monthly Incomings:

My salary - £1400
    Expenses - £300

Total - £1700

Monthly Outgoings:

Phone - £35 contract to Orange however as I am away so much my bill is near £70
    Food - £250
    Car Insurance - £14 though I have paid it all in one payment (£166)
    Petrol - £140 (Long commute)
    Gym - £40 This may seem like an indulgence however I have to make an investment in my health as this directly relates to my medical and ability to work.
    Stuff -£60 Magasines, the odd treat while I am away, cinema, alcohol has been included in my food as I genuinely don’t go out drinking very often anymore, special occasion only.

HSBC Credit card
    (4% for 5 months at the moment, balance is £2818.50)
    £86 per month min payment

HSBC Flight Loan
    (2% above the base rate, worrying times, balance is £49519.36)
    £536 a month though I have negotiated £300 a month at the moment up until March where we will review it, they are being very helpful)

Cahoot Loan
    7.5% I think, will get rate asap, balance £4200)
    £115 a month

Other loan
    0%
    £210 at the moment but I am anxious to increase this or take out a loan when I can and pay it all off. However at the moment no one will consider lending to me, or even allowing me to take out a credit card and make a balance transfer for that matter)

Student loans are deferred and interest is rising quickly so although I am not paying them off at the moment I would like to get started as soon as possible.

Total: £1,486 with full repayment to Flight loan (£214 spare)
    Total: £1250 with £300 per month until March (£450 spare)

I have just been on the phone to the bank, my overdraft limit is £500, annual APR is 18.8% and my bank balance at the moment is £499.99 overdrawn. A mistake at work meant I didn’t receive my expenses on time, they are due in tomorrow L

I think herein lies the problem, those figures don’t add up and I assure you I can count, part of the job I do, but I don’t have anything like that level of spare cash at the end of the month, so where, really does it all go?

I look forward to having my eyes opened and how best I can tackle my biggest debts, I suspect dealing with my credit card as soon as possible and then cahoot?

Thank you all for such a fantastic welcome, I feel much better just having read your supportive posts.

I would hate to ruin any misconceptions you may have that all pilots are rugged and handsome! Or indeed all male! However…for a small fee, and only in order to help my debt I’m sure a picture or two could be arranged ;)

Many thanks once again and I look forward to reading your replies.

Kind regards,

Pilot in Debt
  • mrsspendalot
    Options
    OK,can you get a better deal for your phone to take into account how much you spend away from home? How many are you feeding for £250 a month? I feed 5 on less than that. This can be cut. Can you keep fit through other (cheaper or free) means than a gym? You have nothing down for rent or any household bills - do you live at home?
    Olympic Countdown Challenge #145 ~ DFW Nerd #389 ~ Debt Free Date: [STRIKE]December 2015[/STRIKE] September 2015

:j BabySpendalot arrived 26/6/11 :j
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi there. V jealous, as only have PPL myself!!

Firstly, go over to www.whatsthecost.com and enter those figures in the snowball calculator. This will give you your Debt free date, and gives you something to focus on and play around with. It also tells you what difference bunging an extra few quid at the debt can make.

Also, get yourself a spending diary - either a paper one or use the one on www.spendingdiary.com and see exactly where your cash goes each day. It is an eye opener, but really does help you cut back without pain!

good luck.
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • Jacks_xxx
    Jacks_xxx Posts: 3,874 Forumite
    Options
    Snaggles wrote: »
    I think I inhaled too much toilet duck when I was cleaning the bathroom earlier! :o

:hello: Oooh does that work???:j

*bounds upstairs to the bathroom two at a time* :eek:

;)

Hiya Pilot in Debt! :wave:

My son just cut his mobile costs in half by renegotiating a deal that actually suited his needs. He now pays £20 a month and never goes over, when before this £80 bills weren't uncommon.

He had a good look at his bills and discovered that he hardly ever speaks to anybody on his phone, but he sends 15-25 texts a day so he has 500 "free":rolleyes: texts included and fewer "free" :rolleyes: minutes of calls.

So work out what you need, and talk to Orange.

Always assuming that you need a mobile phone... ;)

and a gym membership... ;)

If you punch all the details for all you debts into the Snowball calculator:

http://www.whatsthecost.com/snowball.aspx

Then adjust the figures to add the cost of your phone and the cost of your gym membership to your debt repayment amount.

and see what difference it makes. :eek:

Then work at cutting down your monthly food bill and your monthly "stuff" bill too.

I think you should go and see the CAB on your next day off and see if they can help you to negotiate an interest freeze on your debts, or ring CCCS, or work through their Debt Remedy tool.

There's a lot you can do to improve your situation hon.

Good luck sweetie.

Love Jacks xxx :D
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
  • Snaggles
    Options
    I would hate to ruin any misconceptions you may have that all pilots are rugged and handsome! Or indeed all male! However…for a small fee, and only in order to help my debt I’m sure a picture or two could be arranged ;)

I just presumed male because you mentioned a girlfriend :D

I would definitely second the spending diary - it's a real eye-opener when you add up how much coffees, sandwiches, magazines etc cost you over the course of the year.

If you DO need to use your mobile so much, have you had a look around for a contract that would suit you better - ie, if you paid, say, £45 a month for a contract, but stayed within your free minutes, it would be cheaper than £30 a month and making loads of 'extra' calls. (I know we don't usually recommend increasing your mobile contract :o but if you are away a lot and use it for keeping in touch with family etc, I can understand why you spend quite a lot on it.)
  • Snaggles
    Options
    Jacks_xxx wrote: »
    :hello: Oooh does that work???:j

*bounds upstairs to the bathroom two at a time* :eek:

;)

Eeeek.....just kidding......come back.......:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

My god, I'm going to be responsible for a huge wave of toilet duck related 'incidents' if I'm not more careful!

Just noticed that my post says pretty much the same as everyone elses - in my defence I cross posted, I'm just slower than everyone else! :cool:
  • Jacks_xxx
    Jacks_xxx Posts: 3,874 Forumite
    Options
    Snaggles wrote: »
    Eeeek.....just kidding......come back.......:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

My god, I'm going to be responsible for a huge wave of toilet duck related 'incidents' if I'm not more careful!

Just noticed that my post says pretty much the same as everyone elses - in my defence I cross posted, I'm just slower than everyone else! :cool:

:rotfl: I do that all the time hon. It's cos we're multi-tasking innit? (and the boards are on a go-slow for me today.)

Plus...I choose to believe that if we're all independently saying the same things then we must all be right!

Now luckily...Due to the rampant economising that's being going on around here, we don't seem to have any Toilet Duck - and I didn't fancy taking a big sniff of 39p Bleach instead - so I'm off down the shop for a dark chocolate Bounty that I'm certain will have a very similar effect on my mood. :D

Love Jacks xxx :D
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
  • poodlehorse
    Options
    I might be missing something here (I often do) but if you are getting £300 expenses then you are already shelling out the previous month for these aren't you? So should these really be counted as income? ie are you basically counting the same money twice in effect? I know I used to get a lump sum plus so much per mile mileage and then up to a certain amount for meals etc. I worked for local govt so barely broke even but DH gets a decent mileage and makes a small profit but he has already had to pay the petrol to claim it back. And other than mileage he just gets what he can give receipts for. Might be different in your case but it would be good to get clarification on this. I think the other poster is right, have a look at your phone as if you are spending £70 then you might be better on a different tariff. Is the food bill just for home or does this include the meals out when you are away from home? In which case they are the ones covered by the expenses yes? I don't know how to help you with the eating while away but the food at home should be easy enough to sort out. Again you might need to just clarify that too. I have to say I knew it was expensive to train but I never realised you would start on £23k a year. You've opened my eyes. As someone said maybe you could find a cheaper way to keep in shape than the gym you have as presuambly you aren't here for 3/4 of the year and then are driving for the 1/4 you are home so not getting much use out of it. Running? Swimming? Cycling? There will be gyms in the hotels you get put up in I presume so could you make use of them when you can (not always possible I know after a long shift) and then fill in with free or nearly free alternatives? And that £60 on stuff - is it only £60? We all have those miscellaneous stuff lines on the budget but it would be good for you to keep a close eye on exactly what is getting shoved under stuff, keep a spending diary for EVERYTHING you spend right down to chewing gum. All these little purchases add up. Do you subscribe to magazines or pick them up on your travels? It might be cheaper to subscribe if you are going to buy them anyway and then the trick is remembering to pack them I guess. I would fail on that count.

Best wishes
    Poodles
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills