PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• CountingPennies
    Options
    NSD here. Breadrolls look amazing! Gonna give them a try after my holiday :)
    Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sheeppappar - yes, I do most of it on a Sunday. I go climbing on Sunday mornings*, get the shopping on the way home (if it's not an online delivery) then spend most of Sunday in the kitchen.

This week I made - 12 rolls (sometimes I make 6 rolls and a loaf); 12 choc chip muffins; roast dinner for that day's dinner; duck stock from the carcass of the roast; 5 portions of soup for my lunches; soaked and cooked a whole pack of butter beans for the freezer; 4 portions veggie chilli for the freezer; and made the dough for a batch of wraps (I rolled and cooked them the next day as I was knackered by then!).

I don't always make so much but make a minimum of a loaf/batch of rolls (usually two batches as above) + soup (unless there's enough soup left in the freezer for the week. I freeze the rolls straight away in a bag and freeze the loaf sliced and retrieve a roll each day for OH's lunches the night before, so it can defrost. I take mine straight out of the freezer to work as it's defrosted by the time I want it.

All this advance cooking is necessary as I'm back at around 7.30 most evenings (finish work at 5 then go to the gym/swimming or sometimes meeting a friend for coffee after work). So we have quick to cook meals (e.g. fajitas, mac and cheese, strifry) or made in advance meals (e.g. the chilli I made on Sunday) 3 or 4 times a week. HTH.

*well, we meet at 11.30, so not that early, I like me a lie-in if I've been out on a Saturday night ;)

OH and as for the butter bean bake, it's so tasty, the recipe is from a good blog I follow called Stonesoup, where she blogs mostly 5 ingredient recipes: http://thestonesoup.com/blog/2011/03/an-unusual-trick-to-stop-crying-when-chopping-onions-5-dinners/
    Edited to say she just calls it 'white bean bake' so you can use cannelini instead!
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • getting-sorted-sarah
    getting-sorted-sarah Posts: 723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 August 2013 at 4:45PM
    Options
    Nicki sue - here you go! And Bluegreen - your rolls look yummy! Sheepappar - this recipe requires minimal time, just some space in the fridge!

Basic recipe makes 3 or 4 loaves (not all at once though) depending on how big you want them, this uses American cup sizes, measuring volume rather than weight. Cup measures are available in a lot of supermarkets and in Lakeland kitchenware shop.

In a large bowl pour
    3 cups of warm water, add
    1.5 tbspn dried yeast, and
    1.5 tbspn good salt - rock salt ideally, then
    6.5 cups of bread flour (I tend to use a mix of white and stoneground)

Stir the ingredients together with a wooden spoon. That's right, stir, don't knead. Combine everything into a sloppy dough and cover with clingfilm (not airtight).

Allow the dough to rise for about 2 hours at room temperature and then pop the bowl into the fridge. This dough mixture will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, so you can choose to bake as and when you need or want to.

So, when you're ready to bake, ideally you'll have left the dough in the fridge overnight. Flour a worksurface or bread board and flour your hands. The dough is pretty sticky so you may need to use more as you go along to stop the dough sticking to your hands. Take a piece of dough from the bowl, a quarter, or a third. Cut it from the rest with a serrated knife. Holding the dough in your hands, stretch the dough across the top of the ball and underneath, turning a little and then repeating. In this way the top of the dough becomes smooth. It seems at this point, just the consistency of kneaded dough, but you are only doing this very gently, and for less than a minute.

Place the dough, in a flattened ball shape, onto the board and allow to rise at room temperature for about 40 minutes. Preheat the oven to 225C. Sprinkle the top of the loaf with flour and score across the top several times with a sharp knife. Bake on a tray or in a buttered pyrex dish (my preference) for 30 minutes, or until golden. Turn out and allow to cool on a wire rack.

This may seem like a lot of steps, but remember you still have enough dough to make several more loaves, and the preparation for each loaf takes a few minutes - mostly you're just leaving it to do it's own thing! Once you've done it a few times it is like second nature.
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Bluegreen - climbing? :eek: That makes me feel like a lazy so-and-so when I get back from work to sit and watch TV. Need to start making better use of the gym membership I pay monthly for! :rotfl:

Spend of £1.50 in Mr S on some potatoes for tonight's BBQ chicken.
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • xx_Jo_xx
    xx_Jo_xx Posts: 2,858 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Hey all, I hope you are all well! Yet again I have fallen from the grocery budget wagon, this time due to moving house, summer holidays and visiting families!

I dread to think of how much I've spent, and also seem to have gotten into a bad habit of buying bargains without actually meal planning! So have two freezers pretty full and full cupboards and still seem to think I've no food!

So I have actually done my meal plan!!! And will really only need fresh fruit, salad and milk! Now I just have to learn to go and buy what I actually need instead of getting distracted while I'm in there!

Since I'm well stocked, I'm aiming for £150 from 9th - 9th
    :)Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying:)
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW :idea: August 2013... Debt total £15,475.56 - Jan 15 £11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
    Feb GC £48.02/£250 (£201.98)
    :D I will declutter my house and debts :D
  • forever_saving
    Options
    A nsd for me today, two days in a row.
    Quite a productive day. We dug up one a half rows of potatoes from our allotment. A big potato sack full. We have several more rows to do. Enough broad beans picked to fill up an empty ice cream container, now in the freezer. Half an ice cream tub filled with raspberries from our allotment,also in the freezer. Hopefully this will help with the budget.
    Can anyone help with this question. I took out of the freezer today a pack of chicken and a pack of beef, which were already cooked a little while ago. I was cooking a curry with both meats. I only used the beef in the end as there was more in there than i thought. Will the chicken be ok for me to use tomorrow for dinner? It has been in the fridge since it came out of the freezer this morning.
    Thank you in advance.
    Sorry for long rambling post.
    FS
    Jan GC £298.62/£300 Feb £298.01/£300 March £331.06/£300 April £69.96/£300
    Learning to accept the things i cannot change
  • she_who_can_not_cook
    Options
    A nsd for me today, two days in a row.
    Quite a productive day. We dug up one a half rows of potatoes from our allotment. A big potato sack full. We have several more rows to do. Enough broad beans picked to fill up an empty ice cream container, now in the freezer. Half an ice cream tub filled with raspberries from our allotment,also in the freezer. Hopefully this will help with the budget.
    Can anyone help with this question. I took out of the freezer today a pack of chicken and a pack of beef, which were already cooked a little while ago. I was cooking a curry with both meats. I only used the beef in the end as there was more in there than i thought. Will the chicken be ok for me to use tomorrow for dinner? It has been in the fridge since it came out of the freezer this morning.
    Thank you in advance.
    Sorry for long rambling post.
    FS

I would say yes ,but if you had it out of the fridge then...
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Blue green - please could you share your sundries tomato and chorizo recipe? I am on a use it up month and have a chorizo, arborio rice and sundries toms that all need using but have never made a risotto before. Thanks:)

We were supposed to be having the chicken and chorizo Spanish rice from the recipe index tonight but I didn't like the smell of the chicken as I was dicing it. I am new to meat eating and it doesn't take much to put me off. DH said he didn't know what 'funny' chicken smelt like so would cook it for the dog. He decided half way through cooking it that it was fine so turned it into a madras with half a punnet of past-their-best mushrooms. There is enough for about three meals. We had use it up omelettes instead of the chicken.

We have a takeaway to add to our total which I will update in a bit. DH is really getting in to the challenge this month (he told me I had to post and tell you about him making the curry:rotfl:) and if we can continue like this going forward we might just have cracked it:D
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Nicky_Noo_Na
    Options
    Bluegreen - I was also going to ask for the chorizo risotto recipe, I have some risotto rice in and if we like it I might modify it to try me orzo instead!
  • Nicky_Noo_Na
    Options
    Nicki_Sue wrote: »
    Do any of you make your own bread? I wouldn't know where to start but may be getting holding of a voucher to buy one.
    What I really want to know before I buy one is:
    Did you find it a good idea cost-wise?
    What would I need ingredients-wise?

I don't want to use the voucher on this if it is going to cost me more in the long run.

If you are very new to bread making and don't have much time you should try the Airy Fairy Easy Peasy Soda Bread in a girl called jack's blog. I made it at the weekend as I havent made bread since school about 15 years ago! It took literally 5 minutes to make and then 20 mins to cook. Not sure if its ideal for sandwiches but was lovely with some soup. Could be a good starting point though?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure