tax credits - renewal information.

Options
Now that TCO have direct access to paye information, what happens when you make payments to charities which are obvioulsy allowable deductions from gross income for TC purposes.

I give to the Charity for Civil Servants, and the Girl Guides (for my daughter to attend but it is a charitable donation), plus we as a family recently started donating a small amount to Jamies Something Special charity monthly.

If I enter in our actual income less charitable payments, then the figure will be over £200 less than that shown on HMRC's PAYE information, but there is nowhere on the form to identify this. Therefore if our renewal is checked it will be amended back to the figures on the PAYE service.

Any advice?
[SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
[/SIZE]

Comments

• Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    dori2o wrote: »
    Now that TCO have direct access to paye information, what happens when you make payments to charities which are obvioulsy allowable deductions from gross income for TC purposes.

I give to the Charity for Civil Servants, and the Girl Guides (for my daughter to attend but it is a charitable donation), plus we as a family recently started donating a small amount to Jamies Something Special charity monthly.

If I enter in our actual income less charitable payments, then the figure will be over £200 less than that shown on HMRC's PAYE information, but there is nowhere on the form to identify this. Therefore if our renewal is checked it will be amended back to the figures on the PAYE service.

Any advice?

You can appeal and have the figure amended. In theory HMRC should discuss it during the renewal phone call so you can explain any discrepancy.

IQ
  • Horseunderwater
    Options
    Are you doing it by gift aide through salary? If so it should show up on the P60 as your gross pay will be less. If not then you're right it will not show up.
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Icequeen99 wrote: »
    You can appeal and have the figure amended. In theory HMRC should discuss it during the renewal phone call so you can explain any discrepancy.

IQ
    As HMRC employees we can't renew over the phone as calls to the HMRC employees TC helpline are not recorded, it's paper renewals OR using the employees email service that has been set up for us.

I suppose I'll just have to submit the figures taking into account the donations, and then if it is checked I'll have to supply proof, either by way of receipt or bank statement.

Horseunderwater- the payments to Charity for Civil Servants is paid via salary and is gift aided, but I do not get the relief through my salary, i.e. it does not reduce my taxable pay.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport