edited 23 October 2014 at 2:00PM in Energy
This is a feedback thread on energy supplier
Good Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
  • Did you switch go smoothly?
  • Have you had problems since?
  • Is it easy to contact?
The feedback comes as part of the
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• JSPARSONS
    Options
    When we switched to them last year they set our direct debits much higher than the previous energy suppliers (which had adequately covered our bills). We queried it, and they promised to adjust it after a few months. A year or so later I noticed we had built up a massive surplus (money we were lending to them for free!), but when I requested a reduction in the direct debit they said they would double it !!!! I took a lot of persuading to get them to reduce the direct debit and to pay us back the money they owed us (the reduction they offered would have taken at least 3 years to use up the surplus - not a great deal in my eyes). We havegot the money back now, and I am going to switch. We were willing to pay a little extra for an ethical supplier, but we are not happy being ripped off like that.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    This article should help anyone else that finds themselves in a similar situation to what JSPARSONS found themselves in.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/lower-energy-direct-debits#fight

If Good Energy are the cheapest supplier for you, no point cutting off your nose to spite your face by switching to a more expensive supplier.
  • simonhunter87
    Options
    also good energy have terrible customer service - they never get back to you/do what they say they will. im very pro 100% green energy and they are the only company that is 100% green - but they need to sort their act out.

no smart meters
    no responses
    no online billing/my account
    direct debits that are SO wrong even after 3 years with them
    multiple answers to the same question that contradict each other and mean i end up spending more!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good energy is the best energy supplier we have used in over 40 years. I was with them until a year ago, when I followed the hype about fixing and I moved out. Having had excellent service from GE I was shocked at the service from the big supplier that I moved to. I have switched back to GE and all is going according to plan. I used to be on quarterly dd to just pay the bill. I will be going the same route again. I am in the SW and will be getting the competitive sw rate. I cannot rate them highly enough, having been (and soon to be again) a customer of theirs
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I wanted to make a change re my dd as I don`t want to pay monthly, just quarterly on receipt of a bill. I rang GE this morning and was on hold for 5 minutes, all the time getting my position in the queue. The matter was dealt with very pleasantly and professionally, they got into my account and changed my dd detail straight away. A1 from me, brilliant as expected
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The switch happened today. 3 weeks from start to finish. I am very impressed. It all happened very easily
  • moxter
    moxter Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I switched to Good Energy a little over a year ago, thinking more with heart than with head.

Basically, the experience has been virtually flawless and I'd go out of my way to recommend them - which feels odd and refreshing to say about an energy company.

I'll get the only gripe out of the way first; it's the usual one about direct debit payments being set far too high for new customers. Admittedly I was pretty slack in sending them meter readings (and I don't think I've had someone in to read the meter since I joined). So I ended up several hundred pounds in credit on both gas and electricity, which is several hundred pounds sitting earning interest for Good Energy which could be earning interest for me! Thankfully, as promised, after a year there was indeed a review and they'll actually be paying me £40 every month for the next year. I haven't actually seen a payment hit my account yet but it was only a few weeks ago that this was promised and they haven't taken anything further out of my account. We shall see.

That aside, the whole thing has been a breeze. Switching was pretty painless and quick, I made an incorrect meter reading at the point of switching which complicated things but that was obviously my own fault! Billing comes in paper format for no extra charge - the committed environmentalist would doubtless disapprove but for me it's really important to be able to file paper bills away. More importantly, the bills are clear and easy to read - makes a huge difference.

The website is clear and easy to use. Meter readings can be sent my email - by email! No messing around with screen after screen of login details and security checks, all you need is to email them with your account number and the readings themselves - makes life MUCH easier. The one time I had to contact customer services, that was by email as well and they got back to me pretty quickly.

Cost is on a par with the major suppliers from what I can see.

They occasionally send some marketing material on what wind farm building exploits they're getting up to, which is welcome and reminds me of why I switched in the first place.

Hand on heart...a rare company that I could actually be proud to be a customer of. Kudos.
  • Bella56
    Bella56 Posts: 215 Forumite
    Options
    We switched from Scottish Power (completely incompetent) to Good Energy back in May, and we've been really pleased with it all. Straightforward billing, friendly and helpful customer services with no waiting in a queue on the phone, and the direct debit was set low to begin with, then raised to less than I'd expected. We've got no complaints so far. It has been nice, after our experience with SP, to not have to worry about bills & direct debits going haywire. Very happy we switched.
    Debts 2004: £6000..............................................Aug 2007: £0!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure