Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 23rd Oct 12, 2:39 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,559Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    50 House Buying Tricks guide discussion
    • 23rd Oct 12, 2:39 PM
    50 House Buying Tricks guide discussion 23rd Oct 12 at 2:39 PM

Hi all, we've written a new 50 House Buying Tricks guide with help from your 'what I wish I'd known before buying' tales.

How did you find the info? Do you have any other tips you'd add? Did your new home come with any hidden catches that others could learn from?

Thanks
    for your help!

MSE Jenny

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 24-10-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Page 1
  • baerbel
    • 24th Oct 12, 8:16 AM
    • 24th Oct 12, 8:16 AM
    Solicitors will often match lower quotes from other firms, so get some quotes and go back to your favourite solicitor to see if they will match it.
    • Richard Webster
    • By Richard Webster 24th Oct 12, 8:32 AM
    • 7,466 Posts
    • 7,195 Thanks
    Richard Webster
    • 24th Oct 12, 8:32 AM
    • 24th Oct 12, 8:32 AM
    Solicitors will often match lower quotes from other firms, so get some quotes and go back to your favourite solicitor to see if they will match it.
    Make sure you are comparing like with like and there are no hidden extras.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
    • SleeplessinScandinavia
    • By SleeplessinScandinavia 24th Oct 12, 9:04 AM
    • 473 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    SleeplessinScandinavia
    • 24th Oct 12, 9:04 AM
    • 24th Oct 12, 9:04 AM
    A comprehensive guide - I like the mention of the 'I must own property' mentality and I think many people are 'conditioned' to believe it.

Some property buyers live far away from the area they want to live in, and maybe the cost of travelling/accommodation (etc) is something else to 'factor in'?

An extreme example: I live in Sweden and have been looking for property in the UK for some time now. I've been paying airfares, hire car costs and hotel accommodation.

Just a thought
    • zappahey
    • By zappahey 24th Oct 12, 11:53 AM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 2,003 Thanks
    zappahey
    • 24th Oct 12, 11:53 AM
    • 24th Oct 12, 11:53 AM
    Rather than buying and carrying a compass, be aware that satellite dishes generally point in a south east(ish) direction and give a rough orientation.
    What goes around - comes around
  • Suzy M
    • 25th Oct 12, 8:33 AM
    "Open Cupboards and Drawers"
    • 25th Oct 12, 8:33 AM
    "Open cupboards and drawers" - Surely this should read open fitted cupboards and drawers.
    (Yes I know anyone with a modicum of intelligience would know this but it's amazing how many ill-mannered thickos there are out there.)
    Last edited by Suzy M; 25-10-2012 at 8:35 AM. Reason: typo
    • tenuissent
    • By tenuissent 28th Oct 12, 12:45 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    tenuissent
    • 28th Oct 12, 12:45 PM
    • 28th Oct 12, 12:45 PM
    As a cash buyer (therefore no need to apply for mortgage) I was slightly caught out when I came to sell the house 13 years later. My best buyers were refused a mortgage and had to pull out. The reason was the "non-standard materials" the house was made of. It was a very sound house indeed, but was made of rubble mixed with cement and whitewashed. I did get a buyer in the end but at a considerably lower price.

Another problem was that the back gardens were not truly aligned with the row of these houses, and boundaries were very vaguely drawn on the deeds. Eventually new neighbours were difficult about my access to my own garden, and put a new gate and an aggressive dog in my way. Just another thing to think about.
    • christini5
    • By christini5 31st Oct 12, 6:30 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    christini5
    • 31st Oct 12, 6:30 PM
    trees and drains
    • 31st Oct 12, 6:30 PM
    You could also find out if the neighbour's drain(s) come under the fence to link to your drain. Look at large trees. If you want to plant vegetables does that chestnut shade the south(east) sun and do its roots take all the moisture and nutrition out of the soil? Are there leylandii type trees on the other side of the fences?
    • Hillbilly1
    • By Hillbilly1 31st Oct 12, 7:20 PM
    • 583 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    Hillbilly1
    • 31st Oct 12, 7:20 PM
    • 31st Oct 12, 7:20 PM
    Need to mention avoiding the EA mortgage advice and poss highlight the companies that are a front for mortgage brokers...
    NOT a NEWBIE!

Was Greenmoneysaver. . .
  • Hales64
    There are 95% first time buyer mortgages
    For all first time buyers there is a bank offering 95% lends. The yorkshire/clydesdale bank does 5% deposits and offers a 3 fixed interest rate. Check it out online ybonline.co.uk
    • christini5
    • By christini5 31st Oct 12, 7:54 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    christini5
    trees and drains again
    Apologies for my first post which wasn't as detailed as it could have been. The point about the neighbour's drain leading to your drain on your property is a) what happens if theirs gets a leak or DynoRod espies a crack, and your front garden has to be dug up, and b) what if their drain gets blocked. In these cases, I dissuaded the neighbours from digging up my front garden, and in the second, when the house had been sold and let to five students, the problem was fortunately on their side. Phew!

As to trees, the trees I mentioned are in neighbours' gardens and I didn't notice when I viewed my house. If you even think about thinning a large tree, the owner/neighbour must agree, and might not, and then the local authority may have to send an arboreal person round who may say that nothing can be cut off it. We need trees and hedges for wildlife but if they're too big, they cut the light and cause other problems.
  • wenadosuno
    Hi guys! I have questions about Buying a house without paying 5% commission on an agent. I'm from Canada. I don't know if it's same in UK.
    My parents are selling their house for 450k, and their realestate agent will take 5% commission which is 22,000! Now that Me and my husband is planning to buy my parent's house, I don't want to give that agent 22k, because We won't need to advertise it, or an open house. We are a young couple but we have my mother in law as back up guarantor. If we are approved by the bank for a loan, can we just pay a 1 or 2% to the agent because I don't think he will be worth 22k since there's not much work to be done. I don't have any idea about the process an agent does to sell a house but giving him 5% commission doesnt feel right to me. Please give me advice how to save up and what are the fees we will be paying in order for my parents to sell the house and me to buy it. Thank you in advance.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 27th Dec 12, 9:23 AM
    • 26,654 Posts
    • 96,073 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Apologies for my first post which wasn't as detailed as it could have been. The point about the neighbour's drain leading to your drain on your property is a) what happens if theirs gets a leak or DynoRod espies a crack, and your front garden has to be dug up, and b) what if their drain gets blocked. In these cases, I dissuaded the neighbours from digging up my front garden, and in the second, when the house had been sold and let to five students, the problem was fortunately on their side. Phew!

As to trees, the trees I mentioned are in neighbours' gardens and I didn't notice when I viewed my house. If you even think about thinning a large tree, the owner/neighbour must agree, and might not, and then the local authority may have to send an arboreal person round who may say that nothing can be cut off it. We need trees and hedges for wildlife but if they're too big, they cut the light and cause other problems.
    Originally posted by christini5
    I'm afraid drains leading across properties are very common and you may not be able to spot the deeper ones, which could seriously hinder extensions etc. These are matters people would do well to investigate themselves, because although they're typically not an issue, you can't expect a solicitor to check them out fully. For example, our septic tank was jumping between gardens according to the title documents, and yet no one had ever queried that in 35years....till we arrived!

With regard to shade, start by looking at who's in charge of the sunlight when you look at any property. Sometimes the aspect is just wrong, but on other occasions it's neighbours' trees that can suck the very lifeblood from your garden. You may not be a gardener, but one day your potential buyers might be, and everyone like a bit of sunshine, both in the house and especially on a patio on those (rare!) summer evenings after work.

Also, although solar panels aren't mainstream yet, the same thoughts apply.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 27-12-2012 at 9:32 AM. Reason: Clarification
    A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 27th Dec 12, 9:34 AM
    • 26,654 Posts
    • 96,073 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Hi guys! I have questions about Buying a house without paying 5% commission on an agent. I'm from Canada. I don't know if it's same in UK.
    Originally posted by wenadosuno
    In the UK you don't need an agent at all to buy or sell a house, especially to family members!
    A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
  • jamie11
    My parents are selling their house for 450k, and their realestate agent will take 5% commission which is 22,000! Now that Me and my husband is planning to buy my parent's house, I don't want to give that agent 22k, because We won't need to advertise it, or an open house. We are a young couple but we have my mother in law as back up guarantor. If we are approved by the bank for a loan, can we just pay a 1 or 2% to the agent because I don't think he will be worth 22k since there's not much work to be done. I don't have any idea about the process an agent does to sell a house but giving him 5% commission doesnt feel right to me. Please give me advice how to save up and what are the fees we will be paying in order for my parents to sell the house and me to buy it. Thank you in advance.
    If this was in UK (it's not so don't take this as gospel) the agent would only be entitled to his commission if he introduced the buyer to the seller. If this is your parent's house then I doubt you were introduced to them by the agent.

You must have a similar site to this in Canada, go and ask there.
    • googler
    • By googler 27th Dec 12, 11:23 AM
    • 14,886 Posts
    • 9,773 Thanks
    googler
    If you want advise on how things work in Canada, I'd suggest googling for data specific to your country. This is primarily a UK forum.

Try

'FSBO Canada'
    'FSBO (enter your province, city or region)'

in a google.com search, or google.ca if there's a regional version for Canada
    • tim123456789
    • By tim123456789 28th Dec 12, 1:42 PM
    • 1,762 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    tim123456789
    A comprehensive guide - I like the mention of the 'I must own property' mentality and I think many people are 'conditioned' to believe it.

Some property buyers live far away from the area they want to live in, and maybe the cost of travelling/accommodation (etc) is something else to 'factor in'?

An extreme example: I live in Sweden and have been looking for property in the UK for some time now. I've been paying airfares, hire car costs and hotel accommodation.

Just a thought
    Originally posted by SleeplessinScandinavia
    I think that you are in a very very very tiny set of buyers here (and hence there is a very limited readership for advice appropriate to you)

People in your situation are either looking for a property to relocate to, in which case the sensible choice is to rent for the first six months of the relocation and then do the search for a property to buy when having arrived full time.

Or are looking for an investment/holiday property in a second country in which case the costs that you have indicated are probably inevitable.

(Noting that you are from Sweden you do realise that we don't have the restricted rental market that you do at home?)

tim
  • janetivor
    Solicitors fees
    Not sure if this is the right forum but.....................
    My house was for sale in November 2012 and my solicitor handled the sale up to the contracts being signed but not exchanged. The buyer then said she'd changed her mind! I found another sale in December and we are yet again at the same stage. My solicitor has charged me 618 + vat for the first sale and 600 + vat for the current sale. Do you think I ought to be paying the full amount twice?
    • Vikaroo
    • By Vikaroo 12th Feb 14, 1:14 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    Vikaroo
    I just want to add do definatley post letters to the area you want to live... we did this and are now in the process of buying the house that exactly met our needs! You save on estate agents and are very unlikley to get Gazumped if you have a private sale like we are... plus our seller has chucked in all the furniture!
    2013 Wins: 2 Weekend Tickets to Moto GP
    • movilogo
    • By movilogo 12th Feb 14, 10:01 AM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 1,622 Thanks
    movilogo
    Well written guide.

But if you are buying in London or surrounding area, if you try to follow all the advise you won't go anywhere because someone else will come and offer 10% over asking price without examining anything!
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

316Posts Today

3,364Users online

Martin's Twitter