Help...urgently...required...signed up to spend £1800!!!!

Options
Help and advice needed urgently

I took the kids and the puppy to a photo session, got caught by one of those 'you've been selected to have a free session and free print' offers. The session was brill, really relaxed and today we went to view the results. Well...Will powere has never been my strong point and with the music and ambience and the encouragement of the kids who loved the photos I signed up to a set of 7 pics for the grand sum of £1865.

Now I took ages deciding which frames etc to choose. i loved all 7 shots and this was about the cheapest way to get them...they don't do normal 8 x 10's

The chap phoned just before 5pm to say he hadn't written down what colour background I'd wanted, I phoned back 5 mins later explaining I was having second thoughts about what I'd chosen and could I put it on hold. He said he'd literally just sent it to the lab, but agreed to put it on hold for 24 hours. I have to contact him tomorrow. I've paid a 20% deposit on my cc, but I really want to cancel the whole order. The balance is due over 10 months interest free credit, starting when pics are delivered in 6 weeks. I really can't affored the cost. I'm single mum, work part-time, on happy pills from Doc, and shouldn't be let out on my own. Any suggestions or advice please....
I know I sound pathetic and I know I got myself in this mess but help woukd be really appreciated as I know i'm goiong to be up all night worrying

Comments

• Sea78
    Sea78 Posts: 6,185 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    My god! How expensive! I can bet that you did realy want them and that they were lovely - the whole package is designed to make you 'need' those photos. Just remember - they came advertising to you, it's up to you if you really want them or not. Yes, the man might be annoyed if you now ring up and say you don't want them, but really, it's your decision. I would definitely ring up and cancel - you'll still get the free print and hopefully your deposit back?

Sea xx
    CCCS DMP:Feb 07
    Total:£37,016.47 now £0 DEBT FREE FEB 14

2022 Decluttering Campaign 49/1011
  • ruthiejane
    ruthiejane Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    Start by deciding if you can afford £186.00 per month for the next 10 months. Do you have any family or friends that would buy one or more of the pictures? It sounds like the kind of thing that Grandparents would love. If not then you may be best to cut your losses and lose the deposit. Or ask if you can reduce the order in some way, less pictures, or less expensive frames.
    ilovefreegle.org - give it away don't throw it away :)
  • lotties_mum
    lotties_mum Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    you're not pathetic, we've all acted on impulse. If he said he will put the order on hold, then you could cancel but you may lose the deposit.I would definately question him sending the prints to the lab because he didn't know what colour background you wanted at that time. If the worse came to the worse are there any family members that would purchase one or two of the prints for themselves therefore saving you at least a proportion of the cost? Good luck
    :jWeight loss slimming world Starting weight 12st 2lbs. Target 10 st -4 -1 sts -1/2 -2 1/2
  • DAVETHE_CARDBOARDBOX
    Options
    Cancel Cancel Cancel Cancel Cancel
    Competition wins. 2 festival camping tickets worth 310, case of grants whisky 74. :beer: :p
  • Smashing
    Smashing Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    Options
    Cancel it. They rely on you feeling obliged to shell out for the photos. You don't owe him anything and quite frankly you're never going to see him again so sod what he thinks.

You can't afford it, you don't need it and it's certainly available cheaper.
  • spud30
    spud30 Posts: 16,872 Forumite
    Options
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm sat here arguing with my DH over whether we can afford £18 on school photos - £1800 on photos is a huge amount.

Cancel straight away - dont these things have a 7 day cooling off period usually :confused:
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches :think:
    Loves being a Wonderbra friend :kisses3:
  • polo2k
    polo2k Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    hi,
    me any my partner went on something very similar to this last year!
    like you say, when you come to view your photo's you almost feel like you want to buy every single one!!

I had a short list that came to £3000!!!!
    and after a quick reality check walked out spending £120! for 1 pic and a free one!

Which wasn't too bad! i quickly decided i had the ability to do similar pics myself and print them for a fraction of the cost.

Taught myself allot in the process as well!

Thanks

Chris
  • sbelle_2
    sbelle_2 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies guys...The form I signed has a clause:'Once signed this order is legally binding and because of the custom nature cancellation or reduction will not be possible.'But as I know that he hasn't submitted the order, as he agreed to hold for 24hours, I'm hoping that they may be lenient. I have to work tomorrow but intend to phone first thing and beg for mercy...
  • philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sbelle wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies guys...The form I signed has a clause:'Once signed this order is legally binding and because of the custom nature cancellation or reduction will not be possible.'But as I know that he hasn't submitted the order, as he agreed to hold for 24hours, I'm hoping that they may be lenient. I have to work tomorrow but intend to phone first thing and beg for mercy...

if its any help we went through a similar thing ordered something from DFS & decided to change our mind after being told the cost..their contract stated once signed you can't cancel etc we contacted trading standards & were informed that everything should have a minimum 7 day cooling off period...worked for us
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • Broken_hearted
    Broken_hearted Posts: 9,553 Forumite
    Options
    I would cancel the credit card so they can't take payment and cancle the order.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family