PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• GreenFairy
    GreenFairy Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    XSpender wrote: »

We don't eat puddings but I do like something sweet at work and tend to bake a cake and biscuits for me to eat during the week. I am going to make better use of my prescription certificate and get flour mixes to bake with. I have only had one scrip so far so I am still learning what items work best for me.

I found that shopping alone really cut my bill down. No sneaky treats or bottle of wine making its way into the trolley. I also use either a basket or a small trolley, not a big one, as it lets me better see what I have.

Not sure if you can get it on prescription, but I find the Doves Farm flour blends amazing. They sub straight into gluten-y recipes, you just need a couple of tbsp more liquid as the flour soaks a lot. I use it for baking, making sauces, the lot.

I've also found an amazing recipe for GF pastry after bloomin years of looking. It's crumbly and kind of shortbready and makes amazing tarts and pies. Wouldn't even miss the gluten. I found ready made gluten free pastries to be universally horrible - like bonio, but less tasty!
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Just saw this weekend's meat offer at my local Lidl:

Fresh British Pork Spare Rib Chops
    £ 1.34* was 2.69
    Per 600g Pack

:j
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Welsh_Poppy
    Welsh_Poppy Posts: 979 Forumite
    XSpender wrote: »
    Thank you for the tips GreenFairy and Jasmin10.

I have just started eating meat again after 25 years and haven't progressed to red meat yet and my coeliac disease means I can't eat quorn mince anymore :( but I have a lot of sausages in the freezer to make into a casserole and I would like to make a nice chicken casserole if I can find a good recipe.

I am going to have another look at my meal plan and add in a couple of pasta bakes as I have 2 tonnes of GF pasta in the larder from lots of freebie samples and the leftovers will do for DH lunch.

We don't eat puddings but I do like something sweet at work and tend to bake a cake and biscuits for me to eat during the week. I am going to make better use of my prescription certificate and get flour mixes to bake with. I have only had one scrip so far so I am still learning what items work best for me.

Our dinner plates are quite large but I have 2 smaller ones I might start using to cut our portions. Our waistlines will thank us I am sure:D

I dont know enought about CD but can you use tesco veggie mince or Morrions version?
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Just got back from Mr M and I bought 4 x packs of the cheese for £7.20 and lot's of YS sausages for £1.55. Total spend of £12.71 added to signature.
    I hope for a no spend day tomorrow.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • Welsh_Poppy
    Welsh_Poppy Posts: 979 Forumite
    Afternoon,

I spent £7.45 in Butcher for DH yesterday on a chicken breast and stewing beef for Goulash which I make in batches enough for 6 weeks.
    Today Mr T and spent £40 DH was with me and he always scuppers my plans as adds extras he thinks I will like as I am veggie...but pleased we have stuck to budget but no bargains as such...we like batchelors mushroom cup of soup to take on picnics every other variety was on 2 for £1.50 but not mushroom!!! BUT dairylea is 1.95 but you send in to claim the money back so a free box .

Helen

Thanks for Birthday wishes
    Happy belated anniversary
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Lavendar biscuits worked out ok...

2oz butter
    3oz sugar
    4oz plain flour
    6 lavendar heads
    Splash of milk to make into a ball of dough.
    Roll into balls and flatten with back of fork.
    10 mins (or less) in moderate oven

photo-168.jpg?t=1342094921photo-167.jpg?t=1342094919
    Here they are along with the leftover curry pie and leftover rice patties:
    photo-166.jpg?t=1342094912

Right, now I'm out to tackle the garden jobs:j
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hope link works...just made these this morning for LOs summer fair tomorrow..hope they sell..the theme is olympics..hence the colours on 2 of them x
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • fozziebeartoo
    fozziebeartoo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    mummyyof5 wrote: »
    Hope link works...just made these this morning for LOs summer fair tomorrow..hope they sell..the theme is olympics..hence the colours on 2 of them x

They look great!! :T:T:T
  • Make-it-3
    Make-it-3 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Jumblejack you make me feel so inadequate in the kitchen!

Just been to get some lunch and found the bread has gone mouldy again - 3/4 of an unused loaf - urghh! I am NOT going to the supermarket again. Guiltily, we do have a breadmaker, I just don't know how to use it. Think I'm going to go hunt for the instruction manual ....
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure